MGExp

MG Midget Forum

What did you do with your MG Midget today?

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Skeezix Avatar
Skeezix Rob Klyver
Playa Del Rey, CA, USA   USA
This thread is inspirational; gets me back in garage!

I managed to outsmart the Facet today.
Had to sort the tank - out to a 45 to allow the 5/16" line over the arch and into the inlet filter that we picked up at Moss the other day.
The first planned mount point was the vertical wall to front BUT that is a double wall and after snapping a 7/32" bit off I stopped for a moment and thought it through.
Also FACET wants a 40^ mounting to the opposite of easy in that spot. So I went on the roof of the arch ( the slope behind the passenger seat ) and installed. Earlier, I added grommets to isolate the pump a bit but I really don't mind the tick tick tick of a pump so if its loud so be it. ( Plus the right side position is OK with my damage right ear). The AN 4 line that I had in place for the original mech pump set up had a nice 90 so Ieft that despite the fact that a 90 impedes flow and should be avoided.
I added the Hot 14 AWG line (Red) through a floor hole & grommet and used that errant hole to add a router via cushion clamp --- have to add that image tomorrow.
tomorrow I'll work the AN along the frame rail again and add a few cushion clamps, then route to the carb. I have to shout out ( is that still a thing? ) to a local Speed Shop that had every fitting in stock that I have needed to out smart the Midget ( for example AN4 MALE to 1/4" barb ) and at a reasonable cost: DMP Fasteners

Excelsior !

61 Midget Mk 1 GAN1L/294*

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
IMG_5419.JPG    34.3 KB
IMG_5419.JPG

IMG_5424.JPG    32.3 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
IMG_5442.JPG    51.3 KB
InkedIMG_5439_LI.jpg    53.6 KB
johnnyw637 Avatar
johnnyw637 Silver Member John Warner
Norwich, Norfolk, UK   GBR
1960 Morris Minor Traveller "Norbert Style (Nobby The Moggy"
1964 MG Midget MkI "Flying Midge"
1964 MG Midget MkI
Lovely bit of underseal work there Rob,
Along with the new stuff.

All the best Johnny

Skeezix Avatar
Skeezix Rob Klyver
Mounted and powered via mini fuse from ignition sw
Lines run and filter fills
Charging battery for an attempted start tomorrow

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
24615573-D312-44C5-AE58-C58A2959E305.jpeg    67.8 KB
24615573-D312-44C5-AE58-C58A2959E305.jpeg

B7BF1489-4258-4161-8A42-75B2F6C5B42E.jpeg    38.7 KB
9AE09FBA-9FC8-401B-A122-3468BFE3ED0B.jpg    19.7 KB
johnnyw637 Avatar
1964 MG Midget MkI
Rob,
You are making a lovely job of your fuel system.

Like yourself I have a mk1 ( though a youngster compared with yours). Mine was my second ever car so it's seen some changes in my stewardship. Started with a mechanical pump (nearly went back to one this April). After a year of owning it went to an SU (which I loved), however, having had a long spell off the road, the SU was too full of crud to clrsn in the time I had, so an American solidstate job was put in. At first it was fitted in the engine bay and unlike yourself I hated the noise (though it remained there until this April).

April bought on a complete rebuild due to a gearbox oil seal going, this lead me to thinking whilst the engines out why don't l .... and it just went on and on till there was no point stopping.

The fuel line had been a mess, so one job was to tidy that up and I ended putting the line through the driveshaft tunnel (previously it had snaked around all over the place).

Anyway here are some shots of my way around doing it. Note I still have to box in the fuel pump and fit a shelf in the boot (give me 5 years and I might get around to it smiling smiley lol )

All the best and have a great New Year Johnny

Attachments:
DSC_0048_2.JPG    37.1 KB
DSC_0048_2.JPG

DSC_0046_2.JPG    25.2 KB
DSC_2113.JPG    33.5 KB
DSC_2114.JPG    43.3 KB
DSC_2128.JPG    42 KB
DSC_2134.JPG    37.4 KB
20170923_151900.jpg    43.4 KB
20170924_153423.jpg    91.1 KB
daveyt Avatar
daveyt david thompson
dorchester, MA, USA   USA
car is outside all winter. it's 4 degrees now. started the car and ran it for awhile to keep it juicy. can't drive it because the previous snow hasn't melted and i keep it up on a hill.

johnnyw637 Avatar
1964 MG Midget MkI
Wishing you a good thaw David

All the best Johnny

Skeezix Avatar
Skeezix Rob Klyver
Finally tried to start
Had good spark after using second coil that came with the distributor kit from eBay.
Had to go get more gas the pick up is kinda high - makes me think that there is a 1/2 gallon or so “reserve” this way.
Still didn’t get even a cough - checked static timing and discovered the new nifty pointsless distributor had a loose connector so I had to play crimp it.
Ran out of time but the irritation is leaks!

Attachments:
9F9B5321-F691-48CF-97B5-0AA2815E8425.jpeg    57.3 KB
9F9B5321-F691-48CF-97B5-0AA2815E8425.jpeg

638A549F-0FDB-45CF-8D66-C6DA4215BC22.jpeg    32.2 KB
B03E4BD0-42D6-4072-A382-62722D9B1AFD.jpeg    28.9 KB
C51064F8-7241-4EAD-B55E-1A136AD9786B.jpeg    52.1 KB
thebeav55 Paul W
Tonawanda, NY, USA   USA
I envy you guys that are still able to play 'cars'. Here in Buffalo, everything's put-up for the Winter.
Don't let those leaks bother you too much Rob. I've always considered them a 'feature'....smileys with beer

Skeezix Avatar
Skeezix Rob Klyver
Thanks for the reminder that leaks are the character showing.
We have been lucky in So Cal this week off work 80s when the sun is out.
Hope that I can get it started and then address leaks with car back up.

74midgrunner Kevin J
Stratford, IA, USA   USA
I found this site while looking for an engine joined & posted on buy sell trade if any body can help Id appreciate it thanks

66jalopy Avatar
66jalopy Silver Member Phillip Jolliffe
Lake City, FL, USA   USA
You have one of the worst rotors in your distributor. That kind has a tendency to short the spark to the distributor shaft, the rivet is so close spark travels path of least resistance. Get the "red rotor" from advanced distributor.

johnnyw637 Avatar
1964 MG Midget MkI
In reply to # 3653813 by thebeav55 I envy you guys that are still able to play 'cars'. Here in Buffalo, everything's put-up for the Winter.
Don't let those leaks bother you too much Rob. I've always considered them a 'feature'....smileys with beer

Agree with you there Paul, having grown up with BMC motors, I just assumed the oil leaks were an in built anti corrosion system smiling smiley

Skeezix Avatar
Skeezix Rob Klyver
Thanks I’ll google !

johnnyw637 Avatar
1964 MG Midget MkI
Like you Rob I replaced the points on my Mk1,

with electronic ignition. Also from ebay being uk it might have a different name your side of the pond, mine was a sparkrite ready mounted on a distributer. I assume you have changed popularity and gone over to an alternator rather than dynamo (generator). Mine did give me a few problems at one time, till I discovered I'd forgotten to reconnect the AR vacuum pipe.

I have had a few problems with thin inferior distributor caps which are prone to cracking if you overnighten the HT lead screws.

Hope you get yours sorted soon it's looking great so far.

Have a great New Year

All the best Johnny

Skeezix Avatar
Skeezix Rob Klyver
Hi and happy new year
We did re time it - was off a bit and got some fun carburettor back pops as a result.
Reset the timing then started the battery charger and headed to Pickwick’s for UK New Years at 4 pm Los Angeles time, excellent for old farts!
Will try to start again tomorrow .. Cheers

In reply to # 3654153 by johnnyw637 Like you Rob I replaced the points on my Mk1,

with electronic ignition. Also from ebay being uk it might have a different name your side of the pond, mine was a sparkrite ready mounted on a distributer. I assume you have changed popularity and gone over to an alternator rather than dynamo (generator). Mine did give me a few problems at one time, till I discovered I'd forgotten to reconnect the AR vacuum pipe.

I have had a few problems with thin inferior distributor caps which are prone to cracking if you overnighten the HT lead screws.

Hope you get yours sorted soon it's looking great so far.

Have a great New Year

All the best Johnny

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster