MGExp

MG Midget Forum

What did you do with your MG Midget today?

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

61MGSPRITE Avatar
61MGSPRITE Tony Sprite
Riverside, California, USA   USA
Just finished paint the hubcaps, roll cage, front light trim, badges, inside wood detail, front window frame and support beam, gas cap, rear lights, all matte black. I love the way t turned out.

I am getting id of my moto-lita steering wheel if anyone wants to buy it. I am looking to replace the wood one and get all black to match.

MSG me if interested

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
sdfsdf.jpg    48 KB
sdfsdf.jpg

fdf.jpg    78.1 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
theleisure Avatar
theleisure Platinum Member Sean M
Yinzburgh, PA, USA   USA
In reply to # 3513947 by Yankeedriver

Sean,

That gauge reading can't be right. Can it?

Has anyone experimented with these gauges to check their accuracy 'off the dial' like that? I've never taken one apart to check out how they work.

As for the overheating, did you lose a bunch of coolant? Are you running a stock radiator, cap and fan? 50/50% coolant/water? Extra mixture wouldn't make her overheat, though skewed timing could contribute.

As for the smoke, not being able to disengage the choke is the most likely cause. Certainly there could be others, but you're right to eliminate the obvious first.

Joel

Yeah, not sure about the gauge's accuracy once it gets up into that range. I think it was hotter than 231 though.
I opened the hood last night to look things over& add coolant. Last Fall I swapped out the distributor that i usually use for another one that I found in one of my parts hordes... this one is from a bugeye era spridget and doesn't use vacuum advance. The other one used vacuum from the intake manifold so I had to cap that port to use the new one. Last night I found that the cap was gone- that definitely changes the idle & i'd assume it had an impact on the temp.
The car started & idled OK once I plugged that port. Maybe I'll get lucky and no damage was done... I just need a new choke cable to replace the frayed one.

CLICK HERE TO ORDER or cut and paste my storefront address into your browser: https://teespring.com/stores/vintage-british-motoring

Yankeedriver Avatar
Yankeedriver Platinum AdvertiserAdvertiser Joel Young
Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA   USA
In reply to # 3514694 by theleisure
In reply to # 3513947 by Yankeedriver

Sean,

That gauge reading can't be right. Can it?

Has anyone experimented with these gauges to check their accuracy 'off the dial' like that? I've never taken one apart to check out how they work.

As for the overheating, did you lose a bunch of coolant? Are you running a stock radiator, cap and fan? 50/50% coolant/water? Extra mixture wouldn't make her overheat, though skewed timing could contribute.

As for the smoke, not being able to disengage the choke is the most likely cause. Certainly there could be others, but you're right to eliminate the obvious first.

Joel

Yeah, not sure about the gauge's accuracy once it gets up into that range. I think it was hotter than 231 though.
I opened the hood last night to look things over& add coolant. Last Fall I swapped out the distributor that i usually use for another one that I found in one of my parts hordes... this one is from a bugeye era spridget and doesn't use vacuum advance. The other one used vacuum from the intake manifold so I had to cap that port to use the new one. Last night I found that the cap was gone- that definitely changes the idle & i'd assume it had an impact on the temp.
The car started & idled OK once I plugged that port. Maybe I'll get lucky and no damage was done... I just need a new choke cable to replace the frayed one.

Sean,

If you didn't drive too far with the air leaking into the manifold, your valves may be fine. Do a quick compression test, and if one is significantly lower than the others, if you have or can borrow leak-down tester, that'll eliminate the possibility an exhaust valve was damaged.

Joel

Member Services:
Innovative DIY performance and reliability upgrades.
capnkx Avatar
capnkx nathan c
On the mech gauges I've pulled apart(60's Chrysler ammeter, engine temp) I think they would be wildly non linear if sufficiently outside of the low-to-high range.
But heart attack nonetheless

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Crystal RX 350 Avatar
Seattle, WA, USA   USA
just got this hard top from local craigslist last night. Need to find out where I can get replacement seal.

Mike

75' MG Midget
78' MG Midget

Attachments:
IMG_1472.JPG    86.9 KB
IMG_1472.JPG

IMG_1473.JPG    75.3 KB
IMG_1475.JPG    47.6 KB
Mojan Mojan Norouzi
Fremont, CA, USA   USA
May I ask how much?

Crystal RX 350 Avatar
Seattle, WA, USA   USA
Mojan,

It is not for the Midget. It is too big, i put it in the Buy and Sale section for $200.

Mike

75' MG Midget
78' MG Midget

Mojan Mojan Norouzi
Fremont, CA, USA   USA
Thanks.

In reply to # 3516132 by Crystal RX 350 Mojan,

It is not for the Midget. It is too big, i put it in the Buy and Sale section for $200.

Mike

Cliff.Claven Avatar
Cliff.Claven Cliff Van Sickel
Edmonds, Washington, USA   USA
I drove it!

Washington has had a very nasty spring up until late last week. So last Thursday I washed the car, drove it to work on Friday, and then again today! I remember why I bought it last September. My wife was nice enough to take a picture of me and the herd.

Cheer!

-Cliff

-Cliff

Attachments:
Midget_Kids.jpg    78 KB
Midget_Kids.jpg

theleisure Avatar
theleisure Platinum Member Sean M
Yinzburgh, PA, USA   USA
Looks like fun!! The picture of the herd reminds me of when my sister & I used to sit sideways behind the front seats on the way to my baseball games when I was little. Was definitely a pre-67 spridget so the top was removable. I can't believe the whole family used to drive around like that

CLICK HERE TO ORDER or cut and paste my storefront address into your browser: https://teespring.com/stores/vintage-british-motoring

garrycook Avatar
garrycook Garry Cook
Littleton, Colorado, USA   USA
1975 MG Midget MkIV "Bridget"
I painted my valve cover.
No idea what the original color was called, but it's sort of an orangish red. Or maybe a reddish orange. I found this color at Lowes, it's Rust-oleum Gloss Cherry (248568). Looks good to me!
Didn't go with a high-temp engine paint. I figure the valve cover won't get that hot, right? Hope that doesn't come back to bite me...

Attachments:
IMG_20170517_153725.jpg    63 KB
IMG_20170517_153725.jpg

IMG_20170520_124231.jpg    35.4 KB
IMG_20170520_123533.jpg    32.8 KB
IMG_20170520_192919.jpg    53.2 KB
66jalopy Avatar
66jalopy Silver Member Phillip Jolliffe
Lake City, FL, USA   USA
You can get almost as many in your MG as I can get on my bike.

Attachments:
IMG_0552.JPG    79.3 KB
IMG_0552.JPG

Mojan Mojan Norouzi
Fremont, CA, USA   USA
Rust-oleum Is the best. I bought the high temp one for myself.

For valve cover you should get 500F and for manifold 2000F.

In reply to # 3516810 by garrycook I painted my valve cover.
No idea what the original color was called, but it's sort of an orangish red. Or maybe a reddish orange. I found this color at Lowes, it's Rust-oleum Gloss Cherry (248568). Looks good to me!
Didn't go with a high-temp engine paint. I figure the valve cover won't get that hot, right? Hope that doesn't come back to bite me...

Cliff.Claven Avatar
Cliff.Claven Cliff Van Sickel
Edmonds, Washington, USA   USA
Yeah...Despite my wife's pleading, I'm not having that 4th kid. That's going to have to happen when I have grand kids, which is hopefully 18 - 20 years away at the least.

In reply to # 3516855 by 66jalopy You can get almost as many in your MG as I can get on my bike.

-Cliff

Yankeedriver Avatar
Yankeedriver Platinum AdvertiserAdvertiser Joel Young
In reply to # 3516810 by garrycook I painted my valve cover.

Wow, that's a sexy color, Garry.

It shouldn't get as hot as the head due to its thinness and the cork (or rubber) gasket insulating it from conduction, I wouldn't think.

Joel

Member Services:
Innovative DIY performance and reliability upgrades.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster