MG Midget Forum

Welcome! Sign In Register
Please Sign In or Register to Search

Heater Control Valve

Posted by Geezer42 
James Henry
Eugene, Oregon, USA   usa

Previous owner of my 1978 1500 must have removed the valve and "plugged" it open. Are there replacement valves available? If not, has anyone ever jury-rigged one with some type of plumbing valve? BTW this site is great. I'm only through page 39 but have already found many good tips. Thanks to everyone.
. You can hide this ad & support this site by upgrading to a Gold Membership ~ click here for more info
bleteaches6 Avatar
Lee Orphan
Sumner, WA, USA   usa

The valve on a 1500 is up near the heater on the passenger side. If it has been bypassed, you will have to find a used one and rebuild it as they are no longer available. You could also consider installing a pull cable valve from something like an 80's VW.
mg man 75 Avatar
maurice sallee
Campbellsville, Central Kentucky, USA   usa

Agree. Get a used one even if leaks. Disassemble there is a o-ring in there and just replace it. Maurice
. You can hide this ad & support this site by upgrading to a Gold Membership ~ click here for more info
maddy Avatar
Mark Addy
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho, USA   usa
1979 MG Midget
1979 MG Midget "Mget"
2001 Dodge 1500
2004 Toyota Solara

I really couldn't figure how to rebuild a part that I couldn't take apart.
mark w
lost angy, USA   usa

Personally I went the VW route, yes they are plastic, but its easy to add the tee to keep the bypass built into the original valve, and just add a cable, you can turn the heat on and off from in the car! OMG, from in the car! hah

Mark
Ashley Hinton
Gt Bookham, Surrey, United Kingdom   gbr

Hi you can repair the old heater tap on the 1500cc MG Midget
I have a repair kit for it on ebay
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290842501039&ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT
my face book page http://www.facebook.com/pages/Ashley-Hinton/245648178847505?fref=ts
Regards Ashley Hinton

Attachments:
1500cc heater tap.JPG (4.1 KB) –
1500cc heater tap.JPG

1500cc heater tap parts.JPG (9.4 KB) –
Please Sign In or Register to view this photo
rob.marchell Avatar
rob m
tyler, Texas, USA   usa

Way to go Mark. i did neary the same thing. after typing in.. heater control valve.... in e-bay and scanning literally hundteds of pic. i found an in line unit with the cable bracket on it. new 4.98 plus 5.00 shipping. now i have a use for the unused choke cable. all from inside the car. or you can drop a couple bills on the new Moss conversion.
92spi Avatar
ron arnold
longview, texas, USA   usa
1974 Fiat 124 Spider 1800
1978 MG Midget 1500 "Topper"
1981 Datsun 280ZX "Silverbullet"
1992 Rover Mini "Peewee"

In reply to # 2281689 by rob.marchell Way to go Mark. i did neary the same thing. after typing in.. heater control valve.... in e-bay and scanning literally hundteds of pic. i found an in line unit with the cable bracket on it. new 4.98 plus 5.00 shipping. now i have a use for the unused choke cable. all from inside the car. or you can drop a couple bills on the new Moss conversion.

got a link, rob? or do i gotta drive to tyler to see it?smiling bouncing smiley
rob.marchell Avatar
rob m
tyler, Texas, USA   usa

Well here ya go Mark. I hope you approve the non-factory improvement. I live in Texas, so winter months can be 70 one day and 20 the next. A temp control valve that requires getting under the hood seemed so... shall we say BRITISH, to me. This cost me under $10.00 and works like a champ.

Attachments:
heater valve.jpg (53.9 KB) –
heater valve.jpg

rob.marchell Avatar
rob m
tyler, Texas, USA   usa

Sorry Ron, I thought the request was from Mark. Nice to know there's another Midget nut in the neighborhood. I do wish I could remember what car this was supposed to fit. It does fit the MG nicely though. My closest neighbor came over a while back. He lives a couple hundred yards away. Anyway wanted an explanation. I had to ask... He told me while he was in his shop and me in mine. Quite often he would hear F----ing BRITS. kathunk... He was relieved to find out I was only frustrated and the thunk was the Hayes book bouncing off the shop wall.
92spi Avatar
ron arnold
longview, texas, USA   usa
1974 Fiat 124 Spider 1800
1978 MG Midget 1500 "Topper"
1981 Datsun 280ZX "Silverbullet"
1992 Rover Mini "Peewee"

when i bought the fiat i have, i posted in another forum about the haynes manual for it. they referred to it as the "infamous toilet paper edition"!smileys with beer
rob.marchell Avatar
rob m
tyler, Texas, USA   usa

I live on FM 1002 near big sandy. this road is known by every biker club in this part of the state. Excellent driving conditions. You really should come hit the back roads some time soon. You add a rear sway yet?
mark w
lost angy, USA   usa

Lol, looks good to me

Mark

Reply to this topic or post your own questions!

Members Sign In if you've already registered, or

Register a New Account

Registration is free and takes less than a minute

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Check the Forum Help File (FAQ) or contact the webmaster.

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

MGExp Menu

What's New

Membership

Forums ->

MGB & GT

MG Midget

Buy, Sell & Trade

Vendor Market

MG Engine Swaps

Original MG