MG Midget Forum

Welcome! Sign In Register
Please Sign In or Register to Search

Cooper white wall tires

Posted by highlander751 
Robert McWhorter
Ridgecrest CA, USA   usa

I'm replacing all four tires on my Bugeye. I am thinking about Cooper 175/70-13. This tire has a 1/2'' white sidewall shown here: http://www.discountedwheelwarehouse.com/Discount_Tires.cfm?pn=CT-2907&pID=2628

I like the old school look of the white sidewall. Anyone tried Cooper tires or have any suggestions. This tire list for about $57.

Thanks for any comments,
Robert
. You can hide this ad & support this site by upgrading to a Gold Membership ~ click here for more info
littlecars Avatar
David Bassett
Nashville, Tennessee, USA   usa
1970 Triumph Spitfire MkIII "Tamara's Turd... SOLD!!!"
1974 MG Midget MkIII "Lizzy...SOLD!!"
1974 MG Midget MkIII "Robinette"

Wow. They still make white walls? tongue sticking out smiley Remember Port-A-Walls? I have a set of 13 inch Port-A-Walls if anyone is interested in placing them between their rims and sidewalls.
refisk Avatar
Rick Fisk
Frankenmuth, Michigan, USA   usa

1/2" isn't wide enough. These are whitewalls..........thumbs up smiley

. You can hide this ad & support this site by upgrading to a Gold Membership ~ click here for more info
refisk Avatar
Rick Fisk
Frankenmuth, Michigan, USA   usa

In reply to # 2167613 by littlecars Wow. They still make white walls? tongue sticking out smiley Remember Port-A-Walls? I have a set of 13 inch Port-A-Walls if anyone is interested in placing them between their rims and sidewalls.

Back in the early '60's I bought Port-a-walls for my '55 Chevy. Real whitewalls were more expensive than blackwall tires and I couldn't afford them. smiling smiley

How much do you want for the port-a-walls?

Rick
littlecars Avatar
David Bassett

I'll PM you, Rick, after I get down to my shop this weekend. I seem to remember it was an odd number like 3 or 5 13" port-a-walls that I kept for a Falcon or Corvair years ago. Probably why I couldn't sell them at the swap meets.
James Watkins
Blairsville, GA, USA   usa

1n 1963 I was driving down the new I-75 freeway near Chattanooga in my 1961 Midget. I-75 splits off to head down toward Atlanta and I-24 goes straight ahead. Missing his turn a driver starts to back up on I-75 and the person behind him heads out through the median to avoid a crsh but clips down a light pole. I stop to see if he is alright. He is and tells me he is a manager of a Cooper tire store in Chattanooga and offers me a discount on tires for stopping to help him. I never heard of Cooper tires but take him up on his offer and have a set put on my car. The tires have a thin whitewall just like you show. Turned out to be a great set of tires. Looked great on a red Midget.
Shade tree mechanic Avatar
Roger N
, VA, USA   usa
1976 MG Midget 1500
1976 MG Midget 1500 "PuddleJumper"

I tried 175/70/13's on my 1976 Midget, too wide, rubbed on the inside. I don't like W/Walls on these cars. The wide W/Walls look good on the 50's and 60's American cars...
Dutch 1960 Avatar
Mark Holland
San Diego, CA, USA   usa

I just installed 155/80-13 Kumhos from WalMart online, about the same price, but black walls. These should work great if the 175s are too wide for clearance.
tlkolrod Avatar
Toby Lovelace
Glenville, USA   usa

WHITE WALLS ROCK DO IT the fatter the better. I run them on the Harley, the 37 Dodge street rod and also on the MIDGET. I have 165/80/13 on the 70 Midget and I caution you that during spirited driving the smell of fresh warm rubber fills the cockpit. Funny when my wife drives I never smell it Hmmmmmmm DO IT DO IT DO IT

Have a white wall day
Toby
Shade tree mechanic Avatar
Roger N
, VA, USA   usa
1976 MG Midget 1500
1976 MG Midget 1500 "PuddleJumper"

Mark, What a coincidence, I ordered the Kumhos yesterday morning, should be in today!
How do you like the appearance of them ? Looked pretty good in the pic.
Happy Motoring.....
littlecars Avatar
David Bassett

Kumhos and Coopers have great specs, but I haven't used them on a Midget yet. Whatever you do, don't buy Falken....they have great specs and give good grip but wear like rubber bands. Had to replace two sets of Falken on a VW GTI in less than 20k miles! Also, don't get suckered into filling with nitrogen. I found no benefit to nitro filled tires other than consistent psi over time.
littlecars Avatar
David Bassett

In reply to # 2167689 by jwatkins 1n 1963 I was driving down the new I-75 freeway near Chattanooga in my 1961 Midget. I-75 splits off to head down toward Atlanta and I-24 goes straight ahead. Missing his turn a driver starts to back up on I-75 and the person behind him heads out through the median to avoid a crsh but clips down a light pole. I stop to see if he is alright. He is and tells me he is a manager of a Cooper tire store in Chattanooga and offers me a discount on tires for stopping to help him. I never heard of Cooper tires but take him up on his offer and have a set put on my car. The tires have a thin whitewall just like you show. Turned out to be a great set of tires. Looked great on a red Midget.

That fork in the interstate STILL exists...and I've been caught a number of times behind someone who has decided backing up is better than to run to the next exit and turn around!!!! hot smileyCheers!
soucorp Avatar
Mike Sou
Gainesville, VA, USA   usa
1969 MG Midget MkIII "Soucorp"

Hello all,
I am new to this forum... picked up a 69 Midget a month ago, in process of restoring it.
I made my own white wall tires. Just wanted to share some pics with you all.

Cheers.

Attachments:
trunk1.jpg (43.6 KB) –
trunk1.jpg

whitewall-1.jpg (38 KB) –
Please Sign In or Register to view this photo
whitewall-2.jpg (35.7 KB) –
whitewall-5.jpg (35.1 KB) –
soucorp Avatar
Mike Sou
Gainesville, VA, USA   usa
1969 MG Midget MkIII "Soucorp"

more pics of my Midget project...

Attachments:
whitewall-4.jpg (50.8 KB) –
whitewall-4.jpg

whitewall-6.jpg (30.2 KB) –
whitewall-7.jpg (38.6 KB) –
midget-1.jpg (46.3 KB) –
littlecars Avatar
David Bassett

Anyone remember when you could go to the auto parts store and get brush-on whitewall paint? I did my first few late 50's cars with paint and masking just as you have done. Probably much easier now with rattle cans and better formulations. I seem to recall they also produced redwall paint back in the day (1969-1978).
tlkolrod Avatar
Toby Lovelace
Glenville, USA   usa

Mike great looking wide whites....nice job ! The midget looks happy there. Too bad the midget's personality has to be drug down by that low life stable mate !!!!

Good Luck with yor restore

Toby
Dutch 1960 Avatar
Mark Holland
San Diego, CA, USA   usa

In reply to # 2168058 by Shade tree mechanic Mark, What a coincidence, I ordered the Kumhos yesterday morning, should be in today!
How do you like the appearance of them ? Looked pretty good in the pic.
Happy Motoring.....

Round and black...they are a huge improvement on the road over the old Good Years that had a lot of tread squirm to them. They seem to track very nicely, and I used the red markings to align with the valve stems, and got no wheel wobble to 60 mph without balancing (I am out of fresh wheel weights at the moment).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/12/2012 08:17PM by Dutch 1960.
owensdad74 Avatar
Brian Morse
Ann Arbor, MI, USA   usa
1974 MG Midget MkIII "Conky"
1979 MG Midget 1500 "SpitfIdget"

Not to change the topic, but I really like the way the "red line" tires look (see attached). I never did find any to fit the Midget though.

Bri

Attachments:
2332242542_9b1f555842.jpg (38.4 KB) –
2332242542_9b1f555842.jpg

Sheldon S. Avatar
Boston, USA   usa

Hi Robert. I put Cooper 155/13's on my '74 Midget last year and love 'em. I agree with a previous post, I'd worry about rubbing and speedo cal issues due to aspect ratio with a wider tire/tyre... but that's just me.
Robert McWhorter
Ridgecrest CA, USA   usa

I've been running 175/70-R13 for years and have not had any tire rub issues. It is good to hear you like the Cooper tires, I'm going to pick up a set. Thanks for the all the comments, I'll post some pics to show what they look like on the car.

Reply to this topic or post your own questions!

Members Sign In if you've already registered, or

Register a New Account

Registration is free and takes less than a minute

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Check the Forum Help File (FAQ) or contact the webmaster.

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

MGExp Menu

What's New

Membership

Forums ->

MGB & GT

MG Midget

Buy, Sell & Trade

Vendor Market

MG Engine Swaps

Original MG