Welcome! Sign In Register
Please Sign In or Register to Search

How much did they sell for?

Posted by marksmithhfx 
marksmithhfx Avatar
Mark Smith
Halifax, Canada   can
1974 MG Midget MkIII "Midge"

I'm curious how much my '74 Midget would have sold for back in 1974. Anyone know? I am particularly interested in CDN prices, but I can probably find the appropriate conversion value if all you know is US/UK/AU or other currency amounts. Thanks
. You can hide this ad & support this site by upgrading to a Gold Membership ~ click here for more info
Andy74 Avatar
Andy Jamieson
Sherwood Park, Alberta, Canada   can

Looks like they started at £1033.18

http://www.productioncars.com/vintage-ads.php/MG/Midget
marksmithhfx Avatar
Mark Smith
Halifax, Canada   can

In reply to # 2113810 by Andy74 Looks like they started at £1033.18

http://www.productioncars.com/vintage-ads.php/MG/Midget

Thanks Andy... I really had no idea what they were selling for back then.

The exchange rate GPB/US was about 2.4 in 1974 so if my math is correct about $2,500 (US or CDN since the exchange rate between the two dollars was about par in '74). In 2012 dollars (factoring in inflation) that is about $11,500. So in 2012 I paid a little less than 1/2 of what the car originally sold for. That is very impressive value retention. The typical new car is worth 1/2 its original value in just a few years.
. You can hide this ad & support this site by upgrading to a Gold Membership ~ click here for more info
Andy74 Avatar
Andy Jamieson

I wish they still made cars like these, at that price. But more so, I wish they still made ads like these! I've looked at a lot of old MG ads and they have the sexiest women in them. Clearly targeted at young males. thumbs up
200mph Avatar
Mike J
Lake Norman, NC, USA   usa
1965 Ford Ranchero
1967 Austin-Healey Sprite
1967 MG MGB
1969 Austin-Healey Sprite
1974 MG MGB ~ For Sale ! ~   → more

According to Clausager's book:

"In the USA, the Midget cost $2,699 in 1973, comfortably the cheapest sports car available. The Spitfire was $2,895, and the Karmann-Ghia convertible was $2,800."

The only options offered were wire wheels, headrests (std in US) and hardtop.

By the time production ended in 1979, the Midget's US MSRP had risen to over $5,000.
dennisculpt Avatar
Dennis Lynn
Flagstaff, Arizona, USA   usa
1974 MG Midget MkIII ""Urge""

I bought my 1974 MG Midget new from the showroom floor for $3,636.00, in South East Michigan. Monthly payment was $123.00 on a 36 month loan. Nobody did auto loans for longer than that back then. Of course, at the end of the first 12 months I had to come up with car payment, registration, and insurance, all in one hit. My brother took over the loan and the car, then totaled it. He's alright and we are still good friends.
marksmithhfx Avatar
Mark Smith
Halifax, Canada   can

In reply to # 2114240 by dennisculpt Of course, at the end of the first 12 months I had to come up with car payment, registration, and insurance, all in one hit. My brother took over the loan and the car.

Back then I was 20 and there is no way I could have afforded one. I was saving for school not buying cars. Thankfully things have changed a bit since then smiling smiley
jmac Avatar
Jere McSparran
Greenup, IL, USA   usa
1978 MG Midget
1978 MG Midget "Therapy"

I bought a 74 new off the showroom in Harrisburg, PA for $3150.00. It had wire wheels. My payment was 102.98 for 36 months. I loved that car. Still carry a picture of it in my wallet.

JMac

Attachments:
Midget 74.jpg (31.7 KB) –
Midget 74.jpg

oldag98 Avatar
Jeff and Brittany Brackenridge
Choctaw, Choctaw, Oklahoma, USA   usa
1975 MG Midget Conversion
1976 MG Midget 1500 "Yellow One"
1977 MG Midget 1500 "Dunkirk"
1979 MG Midget 1500 "Parts Car"

Is that the engine already smoking in the first ad??? Just kidding....
Andy74 Avatar
Andy Jamieson

In reply to # 2114632 by jmac I loved that car

What happened to it?
jmac Avatar
Jere McSparran
Greenup, IL, USA   usa
1978 MG Midget
1978 MG Midget "Therapy"

Young and dumb. I had it for almost 3 years and traded it for a 75 TR6. Got married and sold that a year later.

JMac

Reply to this topic or post your own questions!

Members Sign In if you've already registered, or

Register a New Account

Registration is free and takes less than a minute

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Check the Forum Help File (FAQ) or contact the webmaster.

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Adjust Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save