MG Midget Forum

Welcome! Sign In Register
Please Sign In or Register to Search

Timing for dummies.

Posted by TheFlyingMG 
tater salad Avatar
Todd Smith
Charlotte, NC, USA   usa

checking valve clearence , I have watched on you tube several times I still dont get it, but I know I know I have to learn it
. You can hide this ad & support this site by upgrading to a Gold Membership ~ click here for more info
AmishIndy Avatar
Seth Jones
Wheaton, IL, USA   usa
1971 MG Midget MkIII "Guenevire"
2007 Mazda 3 "Porco Rosso"

In reply to # 2040642 by tater salad checking valve clearence , I have watched on you tube several times I still dont get it, but I know I know I have to learn it

Its easy. Start with a cold engine. Look for the valves that are completely open By that I mean the rocker arm has tilted as far as it can and is pushing the valve downward as far as it will go. To get to this point you may need to crank the engine a bit The valves are numbered from the front 1 to 8. Then use the rule of 9 to find the valves that you can adjust That means subtract the number of the valve thats open from 9 and that will give you the number of a valve that is safe to adjust. You're going to want a valve clearence of between .015 inches and .025 inches

Stick your feeler guage between the rocker arm and the valve and see wether it is teh right clearence. If its correct the gauge should just drag a little on the surfaces of teh rocker arm and valve but not too much. If it feels rally loose then you've got too much clearence and if its too tight you may find it hard to put the guage in or may find it impossible to put in. If that valve needs adjustment, use a wrench and a screwdriver to losen the nut and then use the screwdriver to adjust the valve(check clearence with the gauge as you go).

Once the valve is where you want it, use the screwdriver to hold the adjuster in place while you tighten the nut down with the wrench. Write down teh number of the valve you just did. Now look for another valve you can adjust using the rule of 9 (and wright that down too). Two valves are always adjustable at the same time. Now adjust that valve two if it needs it. Once that one is done, turn the crankshaft 180º and look for the next two valves. Keep going like this untill you find you are back to the same two valves you wrote down.

Seth Jones

1971 MG Midget

www.SpridgetGuru.com
Johnny Quest
Skyloft, Mexico   mex

In reply to # 2040693 by AmishIndy
In reply to # 2040642 by tater salad checking valve clearence , I have watched on you tube several times I still dont get it, but I know I know I have to learn it

Its easy. Start with a cold engine. Look for the valves that are completely open By that I mean the rocker arm has tilted as far as it can and is pushing the valve downward as far as it will go. To get to this point you may need to crank the engine a bit The valves are numbered from the front 1 to 8. Then use the rule of 9 to find the valves that you can adjust That means subtract the number of the valve thats open from 9 and that will give you the number of a valve that is safe to adjust. You're going to want a valve clearence of between .015 inches and .025 inches

Stick your feeler guage between the rocker arm and the valve and see wether it is teh right clearence. If its correct the gauge should just drag a little on the surfaces of teh rocker arm and valve but not too much. If it feels rally loose then you've got too much clearence and if its too tight you may find it hard to put the guage in or may find it impossible to put in. If that valve needs adjustment, use a wrench and a screwdriver to losen the nut and then use the screwdriver to adjust the valve(check clearence with the gauge as you go).

Once the valve is where you want it, use the screwdriver to hold the adjuster in place while you tighten the nut down with the wrench. Write down teh number of the valve you just did. Now look for another valve you can adjust using the rule of 9 (and wright that down too). Two valves are always adjustable at the same time. Now adjust that valve two if it needs it. Once that one is done, turn the crankshaft 180º and look for the next two valves. Keep going like this untill you find you are back to the same two valves you wrote down.

I was going to try to do that while the cover was off but didn't want to mess around too much hahaha.
Thank's for that explanation makes it very clear. How often should this be checked?
. You can hide this ad & support this site by upgrading to a Gold Membership ~ click here for more info
AmishIndy Avatar
Seth Jones
Wheaton, IL, USA   usa
1971 MG Midget MkIII "Guenevire"
2007 Mazda 3 "Porco Rosso"

I check it whenever I have the valve cover off, do engine work, or start working with an unfamiliar MG that came from a dubious PO and doesnt have that tapetty noise it should. The bentley COSM 1275 manual's amintenance schendule says every 12,000 miles which for some of us might be every 4-5 years. Of course if there is advanced cam wear past the hardened surface, you may notice a need to do that more often, and if the car was taken to a mechanic who set the clearence to zomething close to zero, or some DPO swapped out the rockers, rocker shaft, and pedistals then its a good idea.

Seth Jones

1971 MG Midget

www.SpridgetGuru.com

Reply to this topic or post your own questions!

Members Sign In if you've already registered, or

Register a New Account

Registration is free and takes less than a minute

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Check the Forum Help File (FAQ) or contact the webmaster.

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

MGExp Menu

What's New

Membership

Forums ->

MGB & GT

MG Midget

Buy, Sell & Trade

Vendor Market

MG Engine Swaps

Original MG