MG Midget Forum

Welcome! Sign In Register
Please Sign In or Register to Search

A Series Performance Intake - Help ID Please?

Posted by workinearly 
workinearly Avatar
David Gable
Fl, USA   usa

I've had this forever. A new appearing intake for 1 1/2- 2" SU carbs. The angle makes me think it is for a Mini. Any help on this guys?
. You can hide this ad & support this site by upgrading to a Gold Membership ~ click here for more info

Attachments:
IMAG0649.jpg (19.4 KB) –
IMAG0649.jpg

IMAG0650.jpg (22.1 KB) –
Please Sign In or Register to view this photo
hpmowog Avatar
Karl Keiger
Covington, LA, USA   usa

You are correct. It's a Mini-only part. It won't work on a Spridget due to bonnet clearance issues.

Mini Spares and Mini mania sell them:

http://www.minispares.com/Product.aspx?pid=33427
AmishIndy Avatar
Seth Jones
Wheaton, IL, USA   usa
1971 MG Midget MkIII "Guenevire"
2007 Mazda 3 "Porco Rosso"

Of course if you REALLLY want to, go a head and use them and put a bulge in the bonnet. 2" is a bit big though (IMHO). May have been a rascing part.
. You can hide this ad & support this site by upgrading to a Gold Membership ~ click here for more info
purpleGT Avatar
Bud Osbourne
Pittsburgh, PA., USA   usa
1956 MG MGA 1500
1972 MG Midget MkIII
1972 MG Midget MkIII
1974 MG MGB GT "The Grape"
1977 MG MGB

Yikes! Those four stud ports are for the 1.75" or 2.00" SUs, not the 1.5". Are you sure it's not for a B series engine?
Speedracer Avatar
Hap Waldrop
Greenville, SC, USA   usa
1967 MG MGB "The Biscuit"

In reply to # 1985672 by purpleGT Yikes! Those four stud ports are for the 1.75" or 2.00" SUs, not the 1.5". Are you sure it's not for a B series engine?

Actually, even thought the HS4 carbs only have two mouting holes, like the HS2, the 2 mounting holes on the HS4 will match up to two of those holes form the HS6/8 mouting holes, many of the aftermarket intakes like the steel tubing Maniflow units will have 4 mouting holes, but allow use of either HS4 or HS6. The deal is I never seen streetable Midget run worth a crap on two HS4s, regardless of how much of a hot rod it was, the twin HS2s are really the hot set up for any streetable A series engine, way better than a single HIF44, as for performance, the funny books might tell you different , but we saw this first hand with David's Bugeye, we tried a single HIF44, twin HS4s, and then twin HS2s, on hot rod ported head 1380cc, the twin HS2 by far were the better set up, the HIf44 stifled the engine power, the twin HS4 were horrible down on the low and middle of of the engine's powerband, but ran good at WOT, the twin HS2s are way more peppy at low and bottom,and only slightly less at WOT over the the twin HS4s, which were just somewhat a miserable set up for the street car, if he were racing it, Ok, but for street, the twin HS4s were just too much carb, we could never get them lean enough. I finally looked at davd, one day and told him with the twin HS4 we were trying to kae them act like twin HS2,and that when we decided to build the twin HS2 set up for the car.

Hap Waldrop
Acme Speed Shop
864-370-3000
Performance Street/Race engines- modified heads, and DIY engine rebuilt kits
New alloy wheels options for MGBs, see vendors forum for details.
http://www.mgexp.com/phorum/read.php?68,2657584
Be sure to check my engine rebuild kit thread in the Vendors forum for weekly tips. http://www.mgexp.com/phorum/read.php?68,1828263

Member Services:
MG/ Triumph Performance Street/Race Engines - Cylinder Head Porting - Modified SU HS Carbs - DIY Engine Rebuild Kits With Tech Advice - Alloy wheels for MGB/TR6
workinearly Avatar
David Gable
Fl, USA   usa

Thanks to all. Hap, I figured you would know. Any idea who made it? The general appearance and casting numbers make it look factory-ish.
Gundy Avatar
David Harrison
Pumpkintown, USA   usa
1960 Austin-Healey Bugeye Sprite "Screamin' Mimi"

Hap nailed it. No surprise there.cool smiley

The single HIF6 was mounted to a special intake mated to my ported head. They called it a Big Bore intake.
Jetted and setup for a 1380cc hot rod engine. Specially made to work with a Bugeye without clearance problems.
I'd think it might perform a bit better than a "run of the mill" HIF44.
Still not enough fuel at low end making the car sluggish off the line. Not a stumble just not enough umphh.
Still, it ran so well I wouldn't have noticed the "power left on the table" if I hadn't gone to option #2,
the twin HS4s.

The HS4s were on a Maniflow tube intake also designed for Sprite applications.. Sucked around town. Great at WOT.
Even Hap and a handful of needles couldn't get smooth street performance outta those bad boys. On to option
#3.

The HS2s are spot on. Fantastic throttle response. I love the way the car performs now.

I look at it like Goldie Locks and the 3 bears. Not too cold and not too hot...just right.

Pics of the trio.

Attachments:
HIF6 5.jpg (25.8 KB) –
HIF6 5.jpg

HS4s.jpg (21 KB) –
HS2-3.jpg (28.1 KB) –
workinearly Avatar
David Gable
Fl, USA   usa

Great info. Any idea who made my manifold?
hpmowog Avatar
Karl Keiger
Covington, LA, USA   usa

In reply to # 1985828 by workinearly Great info. Any idea who made my manifold?

I think the original ones were factory Special Tuning pieces.

The ones being sold these days are repros, and I think Mini Spares Centre is the vendor where they originate. However, I'm sure they don't make the manifolds themselves. At this point, they're probably cast in whichever foundry in China gave them the low bid.
workinearly Avatar
David Gable
Fl, USA   usa

I've had this one 20 years. Just wondering if it was a Special Tuning part.
mjamgb Avatar
michael anderson
NORTHERN NEVADA, USA   usa

Likely, since aftermarket manufacturing of parts for our cars went through a bit of a doldrum right about then.
purpleGT Avatar
Bud Osbourne
Pittsburgh, PA., USA   usa
1956 MG MGA 1500
1972 MG Midget MkIII
1972 MG Midget MkIII
1974 MG MGB GT "The Grape"
1977 MG MGB

I remember getting called to come ASAP to the local MG/Triumph dealership, which my race car sponsor, to order a bunch of Special Tuning parts being offered at fire-sale prices, as BL prepared to close-out their US operations and clear all of that "obsolete" stuff out of their warehouse, in Leonia, NJ. I got a pair of intake manifolds, several cams, some Spridget 1/4 eliptics, and a bunch of other stuff I can't remember for next to nothing. I remember thinking: man, I sure wish I had the cash to just buy the entire Special Tuning inventory (the stuff at the NJ warehouse), 'cause there was some REALLY neat stuff there. I wonder how much of it went into a dumpster, in the end.........sad smiley
Speedracer Avatar
Hap Waldrop
Greenville, SC, USA   usa
1967 MG MGB "The Biscuit"

In reply to # 1985853 by workinearly I've had this one 20 years. Just wondering if it was a Special Tuning part.

Could, be, could be a repo, unlike Midget stuff, Mini stuff is a dime a dozen in the UK, everybody has one of those cars over there, go to Mini Spares site and see what they sell the new repo for, but even then, not like many Mini street drivers will be all over this part, maybe a vintage race Mini owner would be your target person. Add to that, for few wanting to take the plunge into twin HS4s, you got this intake, and the Maniflow, like the one David pictured above, just not a big market for twin HS4s on Mini in the US.

Hap Waldrop
Acme Speed Shop
864-370-3000
Performance Street/Race engines- modified heads, and DIY engine rebuilt kits
New alloy wheels options for MGBs, see vendors forum for details.
http://www.mgexp.com/phorum/read.php?68,2657584
Be sure to check my engine rebuild kit thread in the Vendors forum for weekly tips. http://www.mgexp.com/phorum/read.php?68,1828263

Member Services:
MG/ Triumph Performance Street/Race Engines - Cylinder Head Porting - Modified SU HS Carbs - DIY Engine Rebuild Kits With Tech Advice - Alloy wheels for MGB/TR6
workinearly Avatar
David Gable
Fl, USA   usa

Thanks again to all who replied. Hap's right, Mini stuff of whatever ilk is/has been repro'd for the UK market. I'm just dragging some musty old stuff out and looking at it. Heck, I have a Ford GT (before they called it the GT 40) dealer media intro pack under the bed. Just curious if this manifold was ST or not. Thanks again. Dave

Reply to this topic or post your own questions!

Members Sign In if you've already registered, or

Register a New Account

Registration is free and takes less than a minute

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Check the Forum Help File (FAQ) or contact the webmaster.

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

MGExp Menu

What's New

Membership

Forums ->

MGB & GT

MG Midget

Buy, Sell & Trade

Vendor Market

MG Engine Swaps

Original MG