AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Speedracer Avatar
Speedracer Platinum Member Hap Waldrop
Greenville, SC, USA   USA
1967 MG MGB Racecar "The Biscuit"
The offset you are looking for is typical of a FWD car, no who make wheels for our cars, has positive offset as great as you mention. Why do you need so much offset?

Hap Waldrop
Acme Speed Shop
864-370-3000
hapwaldrop@acmespeedshop.com

Member Services:
MG/ Triumph Performance Street/Race Engines - Cylinder Head Porting - Modified SU HS Carbs - DIY Engine Rebuild Kits With Free Tech Advice - Alloy wheels for British Sport Cars,and others
halloween Gregg B
Sheridan, WY, USA   USA
Hi Hap!
In a word, looks. I bought some VTO wheels from you and they look great. And I like the idea of running 185/60-14 Dunlops on the street because I think they are the stickiest street tire available. I want my Sprite to look as stock as possible and don't want to flare my fenders, but I don't like the tires sticking out past the bodywork. Even with one degree of neg camber, they still do. I guess I'm spoiled by how nice my RWA Midget looks with 205/60-13 Vredenstiens tucked inside the fenders (custom-laced w.w.) even though they're as practical as a half track Midget with a snow plow, on the street.
I guess I'm alone on this one.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Speedracer Avatar
Speedracer Platinum Member Hap Waldrop
Greenville, SC, USA   USA
1967 MG MGB Racecar "The Biscuit"
In reply to # 3659197 by halloween Hi Hap!
In a word, looks. I bought some VTO wheels from you and they look great. And I like the idea of running 185/60-14 Dunlops on the street because I think they are the stickiest street tire available. I want my Sprite to look as stock as possible and don't want to flare my fenders, but I don't like the tires sticking out past the bodywork. Even with one degree of neg camber, they still do. I guess I'm spoiled by how nice my RWA Midget looks with 205/60-13 Vredenstiens tucked inside the fenders (custom-laced w.w.) even though they're as practical as a half track Midget with a snow plow, on the street.
I guess I'm alone on this one.

I thought I remembered this, when we talked you were wanting to equalize the front and rear track, for those that have never paid attention, the front track on a Spridget is about 2" wider than the rear. All this is pretty normal, some cars have a wider rear track, some have have a wider front track, equal form front to rear. If you are protruding from front wheel opening form negative camber, than has to be from the bottom side, because negative camber would bring the top of the wheel/tire inboard, Spridget actually came form the factory with positive front camber. I only run 1 degree of negative camber on the MGB race car, ran about 1.5 degrees of negative on SCCA Spridget race car, with cantilever slicks. We do because of the extreme side loading under cornering on race track,on the street, because the front tire will move inboard under hard cornering, so the negative camber is just to compensate for that. I think it a good idea to correct the factory positive camber, but only to the point where you have something resembling O camber, as most street cars will never be able to reach a G force side enough to roll the tire this much. So for a street car more negative camber than needed will just wear the tires to the inside, 1 degree is not a lot, but probably more than you need for a street car. If you could get a wheel with that much offset, then you would probably run a foul with something on the inboard side, my guess would be the steering arm, on the race cars , most of used smaller bodies hiem joints for outer tie rods for a couple of reason, one to control bump steer, the other for inboard wheel clearance. I always tell folks modifying is like lying, as many lies have to happen to cover the first one, I find modification to be the same, I always have to change a couple more things to make the first thing I changed worked smiling smiley

Hap Waldrop
Acme Speed Shop
864-370-3000
hapwaldrop@acmespeedshop.com

Member Services:
MG/ Triumph Performance Street/Race Engines - Cylinder Head Porting - Modified SU HS Carbs - DIY Engine Rebuild Kits With Free Tech Advice - Alloy wheels for British Sport Cars,and others
. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster