Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

prop46 Avatar
prop46 Prop Black Hole Midget
Missouri, USA   USA
I had considard that idea as well as a modified wheel spacer and redrilling the hub as well as custom made ally hubs

But considering a lot of wheels back in the 60s and 70s where slotted... It seemed the safer bet

I was just to afraid of loosing that much metal that close to the center of the wheel

But ... Ive had the wheels going on 7 years and they have done very well, and i still get alot of comments... They really make the car.

The other midget wheel i really love is the old aluminum MAG wheel from the 70s... I almost bought a set several times... If i do, ill mount them with some sticky race rubber for track days

It was a sad day when craiger stopped making there famous wheel for the midget..gez i wanted a set of those so bad.

Prop

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-01-11 08:27 PM by prop46.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
260mgb Jim Nichols
Sequim,WA, USA   USA
Prop, Check out Vega GT wheels, Cosworth Vega wheels. Of course you would need MG center emblems.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-01-11 09:10 PM by 260mgb.

Attachments:
images gt.jpg    11 KB
images gt.jpg

cosworth vega wheel.jpg    60.2 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
metalhead Avatar
metalhead Andrew F
NSW, Australia   AUS
Prop, I don't suppose you wondered why noone sells them like that any more?! Lots of aftermarket wheels sold with 2 different stud patterns on them though.

I don't think drilling an additional bolt pattern on a 4 stud wheel of that design is an issue, it's a very strong part of the wheel. Besides, mine have 8 holes in them...! (Hold up to a lot more weight than a Midget too...)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-01-11 09:13 PM by metalhead.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
wheel.JPG    26.7 KB
wheel.JPG

prop46 Avatar
prop46 Prop Black Hole Midget
Missouri, USA   USA
Oh cool... You have the "western" also called the hurricane II

Mine are 1970s after market "American Racing hurricanes"...they have 60 ribs,...i shined up the outer rim and the face of the rib and used simi gloss black epoxy paint between rhe ribs

Hopefull this link will work....if it does the wheels i have are athe top left.. but mine have 4 lugs not 5

Im sure it would have been okay to drill 4 new holes, but then id have 8 holes, just to odd duck looking.... But it looks normal with the lug holes slotted... And as you say, slotting the lug holes was common to keep the production cost down as the slot allowed more cars to use the same wheel

Prop

The link... Hopefully

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&client=ms-android-sprint-us&gl=us&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=t1IOT62lIM2tgQeLt5jJAw&ved=0CDAQBSgA&q=american+racing+hurricane+wheels&spell=1&biw=615&bih=300#i=11

Hey it worked... Well for me it did

Ive really got to sign up as a paying member to post pics... Maybe this weekend if i get time to fire up the ol worn out piece of crap'ola laptop...gez is it really 10 years old now.... Hahaha

Prop

Speedracer Avatar
Speedracer Platinum Member Hap Waldrop
Greenville, SC, USA   USA
1967 MG MGB Racecar "The Biscuit"
In reply to # 1952024 by JJFarkas Yeah just did a search and found its 4x101.6. So could a 4x100 that's drilled for normal studs be drilled to 101.6 if we're using bigger studs? If that makes sense. I understand it's 4 lugs but what does 4x4 and 4x101.6 mean?

Nope won't work get it out of your head grinning smiley, seriously though, it will not work. Most modern wheels also will have too big of center bore, custom hubs would be the only way which would lead to even more custom fabrication.

Hap Waldrop
Acme Speed Shop
864-370-3000
hapwaldrop@acmespeedshop.com

Member Services:
MG/ Triumph Performance Street/Race Engines - Cylinder Head Porting - Modified SU HS Carbs - DIY Engine Rebuild Kits With Free Tech Advice - Alloy wheels for British Sport Cars,and others
CtMGDude John R
New Fairfield, Ct, USA   USA
In reply to # 1952229 by denns1989 My 2002 Honda Civic rims fit over my front rotor/studs on my Midget, they probably are not exactly correct bolt pattern, plus if I took it off the jack stands I would fold the fender in !, but the rim/tire did look cool in the front wheel well. I discovered by accident when removing my summer rims from civic for the winter, Midget was already stored for winter with rims off, so I just hung the honda rim on the front hub & it did "fit" ... sorta

When you say "bend the front fender" was that because the rim stuck out too far? The 2002 Honda Civic Sedan measures as follows:
2004 Honda Civic-Sedan 4 lug 3.94 inch or 100mm High Positive Offset. That is .010" of an in. differencee in size on each a lug nut.. I think either toruqed real hard ( not the right way) or refaced on a miller, I have a rotary table that I could easily do this on, you do not even need that though, these rims would work. It is the offset that is the issue. Do you know what the offset is? See Pic Below. Do, or could you meaure the "Backspace"? It's easy to do with a straight end and accurate rule, depth guge, a bunch of ways. It's from the back edge of the rim, to the flat the is on inside of rim, that hits hub, all measurements being on the side of the rim that is towards the "car side". I would appreciate this so much. Thanks. smiling smiley

halloween Gregg B
Sheridan, WY, USA   USA
I haven't been able to find wheels with ENOUGH offset to pull the front wheels in far enough to not stick outside of the front fender with 185x14 tires. On the back it's not an issue because I run 1" adapters to equalize the front/rear track. I'm looking for 5.5x 14" wheels with 40-45mm offset. The biggest offset I've found is 22mm. I also have a RWA Midget with 205/60x 13 tires on custom offset laced Dayton wires, that only rub slightly on the sway bar links at full lock, so I know there's room inside those fenders for 185's, if the offset is right. Anybody have any ideas?
GB

trevorwj Avatar
trevorwj Trevor Jessie
Louisville, KY, USA   USA
What sort of camber do you have on your front wheels?

Midget 50th - A Spridget Event
It was a Blast!
http://sprite-midgetclub.org/

halloween Gregg B
Sheridan, WY, USA   USA
On the Sprite in question I have 1 degree negative camber. On the Midget it is stock camber, I've never measured it but it must be I degree positive. I've recently rebuilt both front ends using stock parts except the trunnions and offset bushings on the Sprite.
Thanks for your reply,
GB

trevorwj Avatar
trevorwj Trevor Jessie
Any positive camber makes a 185/60R14 tire protrude with a 5.5 rim with 22mm offset. My tires are just about even at the top of the arch, but I run a full 2 degrees of negative camber.

You may have to $pecial order rims to get the offset you desire.

Although, you may find more options if your search includes UK vendors.

It was a Blast!

halloween Gregg B
Sheridan, WY, USA   USA
Thanks for the info. If any wheel suppliers come to mind, please let me know. I can't seem to find anyone. The only idea I have is to get a set of Ford Focus wheels, if they come in 14", and either buy a pair of undrilled hubs and new wheel adapters for the rear, or find someone who can fill and redrill the wheels to a 4 on 4" patern.
Thanks again,
GB

trevorwj Avatar
trevorwj Trevor Jessie
Have you thought about changing the pattern on your hubs? I know there are aftermarket front hubs available in a 4x100 pattern.

It was a Blast!

trevorwj Avatar
trevorwj Trevor Jessie
Sorry, the ones I'm thinking of are 4 x 108mm
http://www.jlhmorrisminors.co.uk/mg-midget-parts/mg-midget-light-weight-alloy-front-hubs.html

It was a Blast!

halloween Gregg B
Sheridan, WY, USA   USA
Can you post a picture of the Honda wheels just sitting in the wheel wells?

littlecars Avatar
littlecars David Bassett
Nashville, Tennessee, USA   USA
1965 Chevrolet Corvair "Ski Team Transport SOLD!"
1965 MG Midget MkII "Buffoon"
1970 Triumph Spitfire MkIII "Tamara's Turd... SOLD!!!"
1974 MG Midget MkIII "Poupon"    & more
I bought an 1978 MGB sometime in 2015 that came with Honda 14" alloy wheels mounted. Spacers were used for the rears. Not sure I'd forcibly fit Honda wheels under a Midget unless it is a RWA. I also don't have any wheel people I trust to do things here in Middle TN. Looking for someone to true and balance my wire wheels and fix some curb rash on my brother in law's Jag.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-01-10 07:48 AM by littlecars.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster