AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

JJFarkas Avatar
JJFarkas Jason Farkas
New Boston, MI, USA   USA
1974 MG Midget "Ruby"
Just saw what I believe to be the first modern car with a 4x4 bolt pattern...it's was on a Ford Fiesta. Has anyone tried putting one on their Spidget? I know that not only do we have a 4x4 pattern but a specific measurement as well. I've no idea what the Fiesta specs are just wondering if anyone has tried them.

Edit: just found this on an aftermarket tire site
Bolt Pattern: 4x108
Center Bore: 63.9
Hardware:12x1.50 Lug
Offset: 40-45mm

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-01-10 07:46 PM by JJFarkas.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
200mph Avatar
200mph Platinum Member Mike Joy
Winston-Salem, NC, USA   USA
Close but not quite, JJ.

4" x 25.4mm = 101.6mm, not 108mm.

Anyway, the wheel offset of the Fiesta and most all modern front drive cars would push the wheels into the inner fenders of our Spridgets.

Sorry 'bout that.

260mgb Jim Nichols
Sequim,WA, USA   USA
Far as I know the only American 4X4 wheel lug pattern is 70's and 80's Chevy Vega,Chevy Monza,Buick Skyhawk,Pontiac Sunbird/Astre and Olds Starfire.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-01-10 09:04 PM by 260mgb.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
JJFarkas Avatar
JJFarkas Jason Farkas
1974 MG Midget "Ruby"
Shoot I just copied and pasted that.

Carolinamidget Avatar
Carolinamidget Sam Maw
Spartanburg, SC, USA   USA
1964 Sunbeam Alpine "Papa Smurf"
1976 MG Midget "Smurfette"
The Sunbeams take a 4x108mm, as did the Mercury Capri, ford Mustang II, some thunderbirds.
I had a 1994 Acura Integra that was 4X100mm

JJFarkas Avatar
JJFarkas Jason Farkas
1974 MG Midget "Ruby"
What is the specific measurement for our wheels? It's not just 4x4 right? Would a rim 4x114.3 with a 35 offset fit?

metalhead Avatar
metalhead Andrew F
NSW, Australia   AUS
4x4" is the stud pattern, so no a 4x114.3 (ie a 4x4.5" ) wheel will not fit, not without custom hubs or adapting spacers. The stud pattern MUST be 4x4".

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-01-10 09:37 PM by metalhead.

JJFarkas Avatar
JJFarkas Jason Farkas
1974 MG Midget "Ruby"
Yeah just did a search and found its 4x101.6. So could a 4x100 that's drilled for normal studs be drilled to 101.6 if we're using bigger studs? If that makes sense. I understand it's 4 lugs but what does 4x4 and 4x101.6 mean?

metalhead Avatar
metalhead Andrew F
NSW, Australia   AUS
I might add that some people have said that if you uprate the wheel studs (fit larger diameter ones) then it is possible to change the stud pattern to 4x100 by putting all the extra thickness of the stud towards to centre of the hub. This should be done with accurate machinery though, a drill is not likely to do the job as it will try to follow the hole. See here: http://www.british-cars.net/mg-midget-sprite-technical-bbs/100mm-pcd-2008041415181823154.htm

metalhead Avatar
metalhead Andrew F
NSW, Australia   AUS
Lol, you posted while I was writing. I don't think you could do it by redrilling the wheels as most other cars are fitted with larger studs standard - i.e. the holes in the wheels are already larger.

refisk Avatar
refisk Rick Fisk
Frankenmuth, MI, USA   USA
In reply to # 1952024 by JJFarkas Yeah just did a search and found its 4x101.6. So could a 4x100 that's drilled for normal studs be drilled to 101.6 if we're using bigger studs? If that makes sense. I understand it's 4 lugs but what does 4x4 and 4x101.6 mean?

Jason,

The wheel numbers you're asking about are the same, but the measurement identifiers have been left off. They are more correctly stated as 4x4", which is the same as 4x101.6mm. 4x4" means 4 lug with 4" spacing. If you're going to change the lug spacing it really needs to be done on a mill.

Rick

59traveller Avatar
59traveller Alex Wilds
Columbia, SC, USA   USA
Of course, the Morris Minor has the same bolt pattern, with 4" x 14" rims. It gives you the "pedal car" look, but they do bolt right on. Minilites makes wider ones.

denns1989 Avatar
denns1989 Jeremy C
Thessalon, ON, Canada   CAN
1967 MG Midget "Midge"
1974 MG Midget MkIII
1974 MG Midget MkIII "Bridget"
My 2002 Honda Civic rims fit over my front rotor/studs on my Midget, they probably are not exactly correct bolt pattern, plus if I took it off the jack stands I would fold the fender in !, but the rim/tire did look cool in the front wheel well. I discovered by accident when removing my summer rims from civic for the winter, Midget was already stored for winter with rims off, so I just hung the honda rim on the front hub & it did "fit" ... sorta

prop46 Avatar
prop46 Prop Black Hole Midget
MO, USA   USA
On my wheels ... Huricanes

The seller mis informed me and they where 4x110...and id already invested to much time and money to go a diffearnt direction and the wheels had a lot of meat on them ...

So i had the lug holes in the wheels slotted/elongated.... Now they fit perfect and have held up well over the past few years

metalhead Avatar
metalhead Andrew F
NSW, Australia   AUS
Prop, I definitely wouldn't have recommended that, surely there would have been room to drill a second stud pattern (45 degrees out from the original pattern) on a set of Hurricanes?? Was there any reason you didn't go down that route instead?

Older wheel designs with a flat face can normally easily be drilled with a second stud pattern.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-01-11 08:11 PM by metalhead.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster