MG Midget Forum

Please Sign In or Register to Search

sway bar and panhard bar

Posted by Dnelsd2011 
David D
Iowa, USA   usa
1972 MG Midget "Midge"

I am not looking to race but enjoy spirited driving. My 72 midget does not have a factory front sway bar. I am looking for advice on the best options for front sway and comments about using a panhard style bars in the rear or a standard rear sway bar.
Thanks as always.

scoutll Avatar
Bryan Durham
North Dakota, USA   usa
1965 Chrysler 300 ""Annie""

David,
If I were you, I would try a stock sway bar first. They are perfect for a driver that will get a measure of "spirited" driving and all the car really needs for that.

It was designed to stiffen up the front without over stressing. The larger aftermarket sway bars have a bit of a reputation for over stressing the two central frame mounts unless they are beefed up to take the additional stress. In fact, there are several guys on the page here who have had the mounts distort, or actually rip out of the frame.

As far as the rear goes; again, there are several people here who have tried it, and come to the conclusion that unless you are going to use the car for competition driving, a panard bar or rear sway bar is not neccessary and the money could be better spent elsewhere.

David D
Iowa, USA   usa
1972 MG Midget "Midge"

Thanks Bryan do you thinkk Addco is the best for a standard stock front sway bar?

. You can hide this ad & support the site by upgrading to a Gold Membership ~ click here for more info
Gundy Avatar
David Harrison
Pumpkintown, USA   usa
1960 Austin-Healey Bugeye Sprite "Screamin' Mimi"

Just depends. Stock bar does a good job.
I do use a larger front bar and a panhard.
The suspension is not stock either.
That said, I like how it feels and handles now.
You know one upgrade leads to another and so it goes.

fairmounter Avatar
Mike N
Philadelphia, PA, USA   usa

If going stock, definitely get a used one. Where in the USA are you? I have a stock front sway bar I don't need (no end links). The rear is not needed by most, but if you really feel you need to put something back there go panhard, not sway.

. You can hide this ad & support the site by upgrading to a Gold Membership ~ click here for more info
David D
Iowa, USA   usa
1972 MG Midget "Midge"

Mike I'm in central Iowa, who's panhard would you recommend?

VII Avatar
VII
stephen w
Albuquerque, NM, USA   usa

I have a 7/8" front bar on mine and love it. I have a stock from and sway if you don't find what you're looking for elsewhere.

-
VII
-

fairmounter Avatar
Mike N

Winner's Circle

dlrhine Avatar
Dave Rhine
South, Carolina, USA   usa

I've got a 3/4 front bar & it works great, love the go cart like handling, no problems with stress on the mounts (yet).

If it ain't broke, I'll fix it 'til it is! winking smiley

Attachments:
002.JPG    32.8 KB
002.JPG

prop46 Avatar
Prop Black Hole Midget
Missouri, USA   usa

THe addco is considard the gold standard for midget front sway bars... Ive got one ordered thur..... robert kirk auto... it Should be in next week sometime... But yes you must have the frame contact patches reinforced welded, or they will rip out...proof that the better sway bar is working ...im doing the 3/4 inch bar... the Factory is 7/16 inch

Ive got the winners circle pan hard bar....pure gravy, im completely in love with it, huge advantage...

But it has to be set up correctly... And there lies the rub.

The winners circle panhard bar is made for race cars not street cars... Race cars are lowered 2 inches... So you will have to modify the part that bolts to the rear right side leaf spring for a stock ride higth... Or you will have to lower the car 2 inches to get the proper alinement of the panhard rod

Prop

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-11-13 01:19 PM by prop46.

Gundy Avatar
David Harrison
Pumpkintown, USA   usa
1960 Austin-Healey Bugeye Sprite "Screamin' Mimi"

For those enticed by bling there is the Speedwell Engineering
7/8 tubular front anti-sway bar and tubular panhard rod.
Very high quality. Joints races are kevlar impregnated with teflon.
Excellent materials.
Excellently engineered.

smoking smiley

scoutll Avatar
Bryan Durham
North Dakota, USA   usa
1965 Chrysler 300 ""Annie""

In reply to a post by Dnelsd2011 Thanks Bryan do you thinkk Addco is the best for a standard stock front sway bar?

Addco makes good stuff, but maybe you could take one of the above offers for a factory one. You could check out one fairly cheaply then. If you want more, you can always get one of the larger bars like Dave and Dave smiling bouncing smiley) have.

7mg2 Avatar
Andrew Hardie
Calgary, Alberta, Canada   can
1969 MG MGC GT "Mr "C""
1972 MG Midget

I have a factory style 11/16 bar on my lowered '72 and the rear is stock. The car is really well balanced, has good turn in and holds the line fairly well on rough surfaces. A panhard bar may help with bump steer, but for the kind of driving I do most of the time, the current set up is perfect. It lifts the inside front wheel when pushed to the limit, which is exactly opposite to how it handled with the thin factory sway bar.
The shot is from a track day a couple years ago, and I was pushing it pretty hard.

Andy

NAMGBR# 20-7738
AMGCRA# 1678

Attachments:
race city 2009.jpg    95.6 KB
race city 2009.jpg

fairmounter Avatar
Mike N

I bought an oversized front sway bar from moss. It used the stock end links. I was happy with it until I saw the winner circle sway bar at Carlisle. It was less expensive and came with really nice, heavy duty looking end links.

MadMidget Avatar
Randy Enos
High Springs, Florida, USA   usa
1979 MG Midget
1979 MG Midget 1500 "PeeWee"

I have the Addco 7/8 front bar and the Addco 5/8 rear bar and it is a blast to drive in the twisty's!

I like my '79 Midget' I'm getting used to her '72 MGB.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Check the Forum Help File (FAQ) or contact the webmaster.

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

MGExp Menu

What's New

Membership

Forums ->

MGB & GT

MG Midget

Buy, Sell & Trade

Vendor Market

MG Engine Swaps

Original MG