Welcome! Sign In Register
Please Sign In or Register to Search

Stripes???

Posted by Mosephus 
Mosephus Avatar
Morris Humphreys
Ft. Worth Texas, USA   usa
1970 MG Midget "$%@#*!? MG"

Getting ready to get the '70 model painted. Thinking about putting some racing stripes but want some feed back. The pictures show blue masking tape, but thinking about white painted stripes that go down the whole body. Would you do this or not?
Thanks
. You can hide this ad & support this site by upgrading to a Gold Membership ~ click here for more info
Mosephus Avatar
Morris Humphreys

Another perspective
7mg2 Avatar
Andrew Hardie
Calgary, Alberta, Canada   can
1969 MG MGC GT "Mr "C""
1972 MG Midget

Personally................NO

Andy

NAMGBR# 20-7738
AMGCRA# 1678
. You can hide this ad & support this site by upgrading to a Gold Membership ~ click here for more info
Col Avatar
Col
colin renshall
liverpool, United Kingdom   gbr

hey morris
its your car if you like it do it
colin
trevorwj Avatar
Trevor Jessie
Louisville KY, USA   usa

If I do another midget, I would make it bumperless. I think that the bumperless look makes the car look much sportier than the stripes. Then... if I wanted to do stripes I would make them symmetrical to the car.

However, it is your car and your opinion is the only one that counts.
jeffnoll Avatar
Jeff Noll
Western MA, USA   usa

Hmmm.... I guess it depends on how many HP the stripes add.
lukeiswho Avatar
Luke Holwerda
Phx, AZ, USA   usa
1966 Austin-Healey Sprite "Gladys"

They are actually called "Go faster stripes"... officially. That's the word from the top.
Boze Avatar
Rick Bosak
Twin Cities, Minnesota, USA   usa

I'm in the camp of make your car your own. There was another stripes discussion a while back
http://www.mgexperience.net/phorum/read.php?3,1432166,1432166#msg-1432166

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/27/2010 02:10PM by Boze.
trevorwj Avatar
Trevor Jessie
Louisville KY, USA   usa

Oh, and since you are repainting, I'd suggest removing the side markers and reverse lights.

Sorry you asked for an opinion on stripes? smiling bouncing smiley
vagt6 Avatar
Mark Brown
Charlottesville, VA, USA   usa
1970 Jaguar E-Type
1973 MG MGB MkIII
1974 Triumph TR6 "Triumph TR6 Rover V/8 Engine"

Personal taste issue again. But since you asked . . . I don't like stripes and wouldn't buy a car that had them.

Sooo, if you put stripes on make sure they will come off fairly easily. Stripes could hurt your resale effort . . .
Col Avatar
Col
colin renshall

hey morris
if you want to beef her up a litle ditch that moulding from the grill and moove the grill foword box it in with s/s check mine out expand photo
colin
dlrhine Avatar
Dave Rhine
South, Carolina, USA   usa

Not a big stripes fan...

If it ain't broke, I'll fix it 'til it is! winking smiley
73 Midget Avatar
Jack Bartberger
Albuquerque, NM, USA   usa

Morris,
Opinions are like belly buttons...everybody has one.
It's your car for you to enjoy and have fun with...make it like you want.
The heck with resale value (unless maybe it is/or is going to be a concours restoration/show car). Besides, these aren't worth a whole lot anyway and will probably be redone by the next owner.
Jack
jeffnoll Avatar
Jeff Noll
Western MA, USA   usa

For some reason I really only care for white body with stripes. I've never been a fan of all white cars for some reason, but add a stripe and I think it can work. Any other color I don't really care for them.
Canajuneh Avatar
GC Patterson
Candler, North Carolina, USA   usa

When I was turning this very issue through my mind when I was getting my Midget painted someone came up with a great idea. No stripes and if you wish to temporarily use stripes, use vinyl stripes that can be pulled off later. When I owned a MINI, some owners used magnetic backed stripes.

YMMV

Geoff

PS. Oh, did I mention I'm a fan of sans bumpers?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/27/2010 07:57PM by Canajuneh.
BugeyePaul Avatar
Paul Terry
Park City, UT, USA   usa

I was a car designer for many years. I won't tell you if you should or shouldn't, that's up to you, but I can give you some suggestions. First, don't make the distance between them the same as the width of the stripes. Then, I would say the stripes you've taped on are too narrow for the proportions of a midget, its a visual thing, so I can't say exactly how wide, but I'd go at least half again as wide with the same distance between that you have now. Just take a 1" tape and lay it down beside the stripes you have there. Then try 2" 1 3/4 etc. Look at several different widths before you decide. Then try different details like a 1/4" or 1/8" stripe just off the outside edges.

Tape is cheap compared to paint. We used to go through it by the box when doing full size clay models.
maddy Avatar
Mark Addy
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho, USA   usa
1979 MG Midget
1979 MG Midget "Mget"
2001 Dodge 1500
2004 Toyota Solara

I like the stripes and think Paul hit the nail on the head. Try the narrow stripes on the outer edges. I'm thinking of a candy apple red with silver stripes on mine, but I keep changing my mind.... Good idea to use the tape, but get some in white! Playing in PhotoShop I've feathered the edges, expanded the stripes towards the back ect... and now am thinking of a solid bold stripe on the drivers side with narrow stripes on both sides of it.
Be creative and unique, or make it the same as from the factory.
tim65mgb Avatar
Tim Guntly
Rockford, Illinois, USA   usa

I don't like the offset stripes. If you do I would go down the middle.
Col Avatar
Col
colin renshall

well morris its up to you
i know i said it was your car but you need to consider this, do i want my car to look mean or cool you sound like you come from the mean stable to me
have a look at mine had a few beers last time and forgot the picture so here it is tell me what you think

colin
Mosephus Avatar
Morris Humphreys

I' going to try BugeyePaul's suggestion. Then see what it looks like.

Reply to this topic or post your own questions!

Members Sign In if you've already registered, or

Register a New Account

Registration is free and takes less than a minute

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Check the Forum Help File (FAQ) or contact the webmaster.

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

MGExp Menu

What's New

Membership

Forums ->

MGB & GT

MG Midget

Buy, Sell & Trade

Vendor Market

MG Engine Swaps

Original MG