AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

zedvictor1 Avatar
Steve L
Spokane, Washington State, USA   usa

http://seattle.craigslist.org/oly/cto/1672463491.html

I've tried to make contact but so far . . . nothing. Would I be correct to assume that the Miata gearbox would have to have gone along with the engine? And wouldn't the rear axles have needed an upgrade, too, to handle the extra power?
Anyway, I find this very enticing but, as usual, the car is 400 miles from me!

Carolinamidget Avatar
Sam Maw
Spartanburg, SC, USA   usa
1964 Sunbeam Alpine "Papa Smurf"
1976 MG Midget "Smurfette"

Wish they had posted photos of the engine bay

midgetwrestler Avatar
Jeff S.
SW Ontario, Canada   can

Looks like a nice car. I'd bet the farm the tranny is Miata but the rearend is anybodys guess. As far as I know (correct me if I'm wrong) Miata rears were all irs so I doubt that they'd have used that under her. If it's stock it should be replaced with something stronger in my uneducated opinion, depending on your driving style. Narrowing rears isn't cheap, so do your homework and call around for prices first. Narrowing housings correctly, cutting and resplining or new custom axles with correct bolt pattern, redrilling drums/disks, driveshaft mods, transfering mounts, maybe a new gear, and even getting your new rear brakes to function correctly with your master cylinder gets pricey. Then you have to add the price of the new "core" rear end as well. Only the builder knows the answers to your questions for sure, so keep after him/her for the answers. Might be a good bargaining chip if it's a stock rear. My 2 cents Good luck
Jeff

. You can hide this ad & support the site by upgrading to a Gold Membership ~ click here for more info
Bryanm362 Avatar
Bryan Matthews
Cincinnati, Ohio, USA   usa

In reply to a post by Carolinamidget Wish they had posted photos of the engine bay

That's what I was thinking.

zedvictor1 Avatar
Steve L

The missing engine bay picture is a little suspicious, isn't it.
Still no word. Perhaps the email is checked every other day . . .

. You can hide this ad & support the site by upgrading to a Gold Membership ~ click here for more info
maddy Avatar
Mark Addy
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho, USA   usa
1979 MG Midget
1979 MG Midget "Mget"
2001 Dodge 1500
2004 Toyota Solara

They look like original wheels so probably original rearend. This does have me thinking though, could a Miata tranny be a good fit behind an original motor? Stephen, if you do look at it, would you take some photo's and share with us?

wlkelley3 Avatar
Wendell Kelley
Madison, AL, USA   usa

Looks like stock Sprite wheels so I'm thinking original rearend, maybe beefed up. But the hubcaps may be hiding the difference. He said upgraded brakes, wonder how and what kind. Maybe Miata 4-wheel disk? If so, I don't think 13" rims will fit over. That year Miata had 14". Yes all Miata's are IRS. He stated from a 92 so that would mean a 1.6, about 115hp to the wheels with original 5-speed trans. Still significantly more than original Spridget. Would probably have to relocate the battery and delete the heater to fit in the Miata engine which would explain the fair weather driver bit. Would make for a quick Sprite though and a decent cruiser. Would be interesting to find out more on the car and how/what it was done.

Yes I drive and autocross a Miata. And have a MKI Midget project. I have briefly thought of something similar but more hp/torque and Spridget unibody just doesn't compute to me.

P P
O, Ontario, Canada   can
1967 MG MGB GT "Maggie (GT From Hell)"

The sprite body can take the extra power. The rear end is barlely adequate for the factory engine. The RX-7 rear end is quite suitable for a narrowing to fit this swap.

I have a hard time seeing how they stuck the Miata engine under the bonnet.It is not a short engine. I did a Fitat DOHC 1600 years ago, so maybe the Miata will fit?

Pete

zedvictor1 Avatar
Steve L

I would be very interested to learn more, but I've still heard nothing. I won't go to see it because . . . I don't know where it is! Perhaps it's just one of those craigslist games. The setting doesn't quite look like Aberdeen, Washington, to me.
Are you saying, Peter, that more than a simple axle upgrade (competition or nitride toughened) would be needed? I wonder if it could keep up with you, Mark . . . should you get those one or two final details ironed out.

P P
O, Ontario, Canada   can
1967 MG MGB GT "Maggie (GT From Hell)"

I cant speak to the strength of the fully modded midget rear axle. I do know that a stock one in my fiat powered sprite meant that collecting rear ends became a hobby in itself. Both axles and gear sets had a limited life expectancy.

The rx7 axle is easy to narrow, possibly has posi from the factory and brings along a brake upgrade at the same time.

Pete

zedvictor1 Avatar
Steve L

I've only just noticed the listing was posted on April 1.
I wonder . . . April Fool's joke????

maddy Avatar
Mark Addy
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho, USA   usa
1979 MG Midget
1979 MG Midget "Mget"
2001 Dodge 1500
2004 Toyota Solara

Thanks to the fool who fooled me, and did find out about the Miata tranny fitting onto a Midget engine. No go, the Miata's tranny and bell-housing are one unit. Dang!

zedvictor1 Avatar
Steve L

Had a reply!
The owner says it's the real deal, but I still don't have any details about what was done to the car . . .

zedvictor1 Avatar
Steve L
guzzidude Avatar
Matt Rogers
Surf City, NC, USA   usa
1968 Chevrolet C10
1974 MG MGB GT
1990 Other Not Listed "??????"

Finally a resolve... Tight little engine bay now!

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Check the Forum Help File (FAQ) or contact the webmaster.

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

MGExp Menu

What's New

Membership

Forums ->

MGB & GT

MG Midget

Buy, Sell & Trade

Vendor Market

MG Engine Swaps

Original MG