AutoShrine Sponsor

david.g.h Avatar
david.g.h David Harrison
Stratford upon Avon, UK   GBR
1929 Austin 7
1932 Austin 7 "Cabbage"
1956 MG Magnette ZA
1989 Porsche 944 S2
My axle annoyingly leaks oil (particularly) into the O/S hub & contaminates the linings.
As far as I can see the half shaft & seal are held tight together mostly by the tightness of the wheel. ( I think there is a 1/4" csk screw as well that helps hold things together - I am writing from memory & don't have my parts diagram & Wksp Manuals to hand so may be mistaken.)
Is this a common problem? Are there ways of improving the oil- tightness of the hub?
Advice welcome!
David

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Ian Williams Avatar
., Derbyshire, UK   GBR
Mine showed the initial traces of a leak and I've purchased a new seal from Peter in case I need to change it.
Trevor told me to check that both breather holes on the axle ends where clear so as to avoid pressure build up. Also clean out the main brather tube on the axle casing. (Mine was blocked with mud)

That's my two penneth anyway.. Hopefully others will come forward to help you out..

Ian

david.g.h Avatar
david.g.h David Harrison
1929 Austin 7
1932 Austin 7 "Cabbage"
1956 MG Magnette ZA
1989 Porsche 944 S2
Thanks for that....I was not aware about breather holes at the end of the axle....where are they?
D

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Ian Williams Avatar
., Derbyshire, UK   GBR
There is one on either end of the stub axle behind the brake back plate, at 12 o'clock. They are only a small diameter. I cleaned mine out using a 2.5mm drill bit by hand.

Trevor suggested opening the hole size up slightly, but I haven't. I just cleaned them out. The holes were completely blocked ! I am hoping this will cure any issues, though did buy a spare oil seal just in case !

Ian

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-10-13 09:33 AM by Ian Williams.

Attachments:
DSCN3887.JPG    36.4 KB
DSCN3887.JPG

david.g.h Avatar
david.g.h David Harrison
1929 Austin 7
1932 Austin 7 "Cabbage"
1956 MG Magnette ZA
1989 Porsche 944 S2
Thanks v much....I will check tomorrow!
D

david.g.h Avatar
david.g.h David Harrison
1929 Austin 7
1932 Austin 7 "Cabbage"
1956 MG Magnette ZA
1989 Porsche 944 S2
Drat!
All holes perfectly clear!
Back to the drawing board.
D

Ian Williams Avatar
., Derbyshire, UK   GBR
Curses....so is the main breather on the diff top is also clear?
Mine was seeping around the hub seal in front of the drum (where the paper gasket is)
I pulled the half shaft out slightly and added gasket sealant here.

Ian

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-10-13 02:03 PM by Ian Williams.

Daveyboy816 Davey G
New York, New York, USA   USA
Hey Ian- I’m confused. You say the breather holes at the ends of the axle are at 6 o’clock. That means that the oil bath that fills the axle (and lubricates the wheel bearing) would drain right out onto the ground. Don’t you mean 12 o’clock?
Davey

Ian Williams Avatar
., Derbyshire, UK   GBR
Yes Davey

My apologies there...I got my clock hands wrong ! Yes, it would be 12 o'clock otherwise there wouldn't be any oil left in the axle

Clacksman Avatar
Clacksman Silver Member Andy Dear
Central Scotland, UK   GBR
1957 MG Magnette ZB "Maggie - Aren't They All?"
Ian,

The hole you are describing as a breather at the outer end of the axle does not communicate with the oil in the axle. it is merely a duct to allow any oil which leaks past the inner hub seal to escape through the axle flange rather than run down inside the backplate and contaminate the brake linings. There is a catch plate mounted inside the back plate and the inner lip of the rear hub extends into the hole in this plate. Any leakage is caught by the plate and runs down to the bottom where it can pass through the flange and drain away harmlessly. The drilling through the flange often becomes blocked with crud and can cause the brakes to get oiled up.

Note the picture is an horizontal cross section and so the drain hole is not visible.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-10-14 10:56 AM by Clacksman.

Attachments:
Axle drain.jpg    49 KB
Axle drain.jpg

EXLU3453 Avatar
EXLU3453 Colin T
Brantford, Ontario, Canada   CAN
1951 MG TD
1959 MG MGA 1500
After doing a few of these repairs, I have found that the paper gasket seems to just fail for no reason after a period of time. It is important to make sure weep holes and vent are clear. If that alone does not fix the problem, a new paper gasket is in order. I have found that a smear of Urethane based gasket sealant works best for me. Sold as Hylomar AF, and Permatex has one as well. ( I do not recall the brand name).

Good luck. Its not a hard job, just annoying. The retaining countersunk screw should be seated with a hand impact driver. If you replace this screw, make sure you use a good one of grade 5 or better.

..CR

exbrat202 Avatar
exbrat202 Mac Pile
Royal Wootton Bassett, Wiltshire, UK   GBR
1956 MG Magnette ZA "Vera"
David, use Blue Hylomar both sides of the paper gasket, Halfords don't seem to stock it but our local motor spares shop does.Might not be a bad idea to use two paper gaskets if it helps.

david.g.h Avatar
david.g.h David Harrison
1929 Austin 7
1932 Austin 7 "Cabbage"
1956 MG Magnette ZA
1989 Porsche 944 S2
Thank you everyone...let's see how it gets on!
David

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster