Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

1957mag Avatar
1957mag Silver Member cliff hughes
MANDEVILLE, LOUISIANA, USA   USA
I lost a complete set of keys for my 57 Magnette. I had an extra boot key, but not the ignition key. The # on the switch is FPXXX. I ordered a Wilmot Breeden key # FP XXX, but it does not fit. I read some previous posts about taking the switch out and bringing it to a locksmith. I have some blank FP keys from ILCO that the locksmith could produce a key. Should I bring the key that does not fit and get the locksmith to " make it work'?

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Supporting Member <
ahaugland Avatar
ahaugland Silver Member Alex Haugland
Eugene, Oregon, USA   USA
Does the FP key you ordered physically not fit in the lock cylinder, or does it just not turn the lock? The FP indicates the keyway that the key is designed for and the numbers indicate the tumbler pattern for the key. If there's a FP XXX number stamped on the face of the lock, the lock cylinder should be original and any FP key should fit in the lock. If it doesn't then the person who cut your Wilmott Breeden key used the wrong blank. If you look at the Triple-C.com keys page, it shows what the profile of the keys should be just below the picture of the key. Here's a link to an FP Key/Profile:

http://www.triple-c.com/Products/MG_BRASS_HEADED_FP_KEY/P1028%7CFP

If the key you ordered fits the lock but doesn't turn it, it is possibly because the lock is worn or has been rekeyed, which is pretty easy to do, once the cylinder is out. If you remove the ignition switch from the car, there is generally a hole in the side of it through which you can push the spring-loaded pin that holds the cylinder in the switch. Unfortunately, to push the pin, you generally have to have the key and turn the lock to align the pin with the hole Once you've pushed the pin, pulling the key pulls the cylinder from the switch itself. Once the cylinder is removed, the little "gates" that they key passes through can be changed out easily to rekey the lock. In your case, if the key fits, but doesn't turn and is cut to match the lock, I'd have the locksmith rekey the ignition to that new key so that the keying matches the number on the face of the cylinder.

--Alex Haugland
Eugene, Oregon
USA

exbrat202 Avatar
exbrat202 Mac Pile
Royal Wootton Bassett, Wiltshire, UK   GBR
1956 MG Magnette ZA "Vera"
FP keys are available from www.replacementkeys.co.uk/union-fp-keys-to-code.html ready cut to your code number, may be worth a try.

Mac

SteveZBMagnette Avatar
SteveZBMagnette Gold Member Steven Hanegan
Lake Forest Park, WA, USA   USA
1958 MG Magnette "Zeebee"
1962 MG MGA MkII "Arthur"
1969 MG MGB GT "The Black Russian"
1970 MG MGB "50/50"
I took the ignition assembly, the door tumbler and the boot lock to the local locksmith with a couple of key blanks that I got from Triple C, and for $25, the door matched the ignition, and the boot lock had a key - and I had spare sets for each...

I have also given the 3 digit number on the face of the tumbler to Triple C, and had ready cut keys back in the mail within a week or two a couple of times over the years. The nice thing about Triple C is that they have brass Octagon headed keys in both FP and FS shapes, and occasionally they will even have these in enameled brass in several different colors as well.

Attachments:
IMG_7199.JPG    51.4 KB
IMG_7199.JPG

1957mag Avatar
1957mag Silver Member cliff hughes
MANDEVILLE, LOUISIANA, USA   USA
OK. Let me see if I can answer all of your questions. First off, the key fits the lock, but will not turn. I had the key made by The Roadster Factory. The lock # is stamped on the face # is XXX. I furnished this # to Roadster Factory, and they shipped me the key. At the same time I had an Austin Healey key made for the ignition, and it works fine. But I did not lose the Healey key. I have Magnette key that fits the fuel door, and the car door, but not the boot lock. I am beginning to believe that the ignition key and the boot key are the same. I may go the locksmith route.

SteveZBMagnette Avatar
SteveZBMagnette Gold Member Steven Hanegan
Lake Forest Park, WA, USA   USA
1958 MG Magnette "Zeebee"
1962 MG MGA MkII "Arthur"
1969 MG MGB GT "The Black Russian"
1970 MG MGB "50/50"
It should be that the fuel door, driver's door and ignition should be one and the boot another.

Wray Avatar
Wray Gold Member Wray Lemke
., South Carolina, USA   USA
Unless you make them all the same...

In reply to # 3515185 by SteveZBMagnette It should be that the fuel door, driver's door and ignition should be one and the boot another.

wilberforce Charlie Tynan
Tyne & Wear, Tyne & Wear, UK   GBR
In reply to # 3515185 by SteveZBMagnette It should be that the fuel door, driver's door and ignition should be one and the boot another.

It looks like my Dad has lost the boot key, happily thought it is unlocked, and where it is parked, no one can get into it, not that there is anything of value in it.

exbrat202 Avatar
exbrat202 Mac Pile
Charlie, contact ESM Morris Minor spares, they do a lot of lock barrels with keys, the Pt No you need is ADH2787, they use their own numbers but can probably cross match it to theirs, or send dimensions and a photo, very helpful guys and quite a few Minor bits fit the Magnette.

http://www.morrisminorspares.com/search/locks

Mac

wilberforce Charlie Tynan
Tyne & Wear, Tyne & Wear, UK   GBR
In reply to # 3515952 by exbrat202 Charlie, contact ESM Morris Minor spares, they do a lot of lock barrels with keys, the Pt No you need is ADH2787, they use their own numbers but can probably cross match it to theirs, or send dimensions and a photo, very helpful guys and quite a few Minor bits fit the Magnette.

http://www.morrisminorspares.com/search/locks

Mac

Cheers Mac, will do, it's not a priority but something that will need looking into, unless my Dad finds the missing key, but I'm not holding my breath.

What is it about folk called Mac? I have a couple of pals up here on Tyneside who get called Mac, and they are great lads, really canny and helpful. They are actually called Malcolm, but Mac for short.

So I guess Mac, you are also canny lad.

exbrat202 Avatar
exbrat202 Mac Pile
Spot on Charlie, born and bred in Pegswood near Ashington! Lost most of my pitmatic accent though as I joined the RAF at 16, and it is indeed Malcolm.

As to the key, you may find a number on the lock barrel if you take it out, not hard but fiddly and make a note of where everything goes.

Mac

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster