AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Wizard32 Avatar
Wizard32 Tony Schapendonk
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia   AUS
1964 MG Magnette ZA "Betsy"
Hi Guys,

I have found a lot of oil on my brake linings which is making my rear brakes totally useless.

In checking where it is coming from we removed the axle and paper seal, after which we had to pull out the wheel bearing which has the seal behind it.

after some attempts my friend Vince Stok came up with the system as shown in the photo using the axle reversed and by tightening up the wheel nuts were readily able to remove the bearing without using a special puller, and something readily available.

Now have to replace the seal and gasket.

I suggest that you file or grind off the lettering on the axle as we found on the first one that it did some minor damage.

Also, the paper seal was leaking badly. Suggest when putting it back the use of gasket cement. Later models are fitted with an O ring.

Tony

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Supporting Member <

Attachments:
diff (5).JPG    57.4 KB
diff (5).JPG

diff (3).JPG    70.2 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
paddyreardon Avatar
paddyreardon Paddy Reardon
Calne, Wiltshire., UK   GBR
1933 Morris Minor "Evie"
1956 MG Magnette ZA
While you were there, did you clean out the oil drain hole at the bottom of the axle? From the inside of the brake drum, there should be a thin steel flange around the aperture where the hub fits. At the 6 O'clock position, there is a small hole leading through the axle flange. If this is blocked (and they usually are!), any minor leakage from the hub seal will overflow onto the brakes.

Also check the banjo axle breather, on the top near the middle. Again, if blocked, pressure builds up as they get hot and pushes oil through the hub seals.

Wizard32 Avatar
Wizard32 Tony Schapendonk
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia   AUS
1964 MG Magnette ZA "Betsy"
Thank you Paddy.

haven't checked this yet, but the whole diff is covered in caked up dirt and oil/grease probably because it was a car from the country driven on dirt roads.

Tony

Ian Williams Avatar
Ian Williams Ian Williams W
., Leicestershire, UK   GBR
My half a half came out easily when I undid the flange screws. Did I not do the job properly ?

Ian Williams Avatar
Ian Williams Ian Williams W
., Leicestershire, UK   GBR
In reply to # 3467375 by Ian Williams Before the spellcheck hijacked my previous post, it should say "My half shaft came out easily when I undid the flange screws. Did I not do the job properly ?

exbrat202 Avatar
exbrat202 Mac Pile
Royal Wootton Bassett, Wiltshire, UK   GBR
1956 MG Magnette ZA "Vera"
Half shafts do come out easily Ian, Tony was using a half shaft bolted back to the hub as a puller to get it out of the axle to replace the seal.

Mac

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster