AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

exbrat202 Avatar
exbrat202 Mac Pile
Royal Wootton Bassett, Wiltshire, UK   GBR
1956 MG Magnette ZA "Vera"
I'm about to embark on replacing both front quarter light (QL)seals using Peter Martin's supplied seals. Can anyone give me directions of what I need to remove to achieve this, I've a rough idea, door cards, drop the window and remove the guide rails etc. questions: Are the chrome vertical strips at the back of the quarter light assy attached to the QL? How is the QL attached to the door, is it purely the spring tensioned bolt at the lower edge? how is the new seal attached to the door? Are the guide rails simply attached at the brackets on the bottom of each one and the small screw in the top fwd corner that joins them? Any tips or problems I might encounter? photos even if they are just of the QL on a bench appreciated.

Regards

Mac

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Supporting Member <
Wray Avatar
Wray Gold Member Wray Lemke
., South Carolina, USA   USA
Mac, I'm sure Steve H has a bunch of pics, and I have some from when I did mine a couple of years back. I'll try and dig them up today. I believe you have to pull the window out to get enough working room to remove the assembly. Get ready to embark on a vexing journey. The front ones were kind of a pita. Let's not talk about there rear doors... The trauma is still fresh.

Roger17Martin Avatar
Roger17Martin Roger Martin
Colchester, Essex, UK   GBR
Mac,

I am half way through this task. Mine are now completely removed and dismantled but I have yet to obtain the Peter Martin new seals and fit them.

Your initial approach is correct, as per the workshop manual.
However it doesn't show where the two set screws that hold the quarter light to the door are; one to the door window frame front pillar and the other to the shelf to the rear of the sprung swivel. The swivel itself has nothing to do with securing the quarter light to the door.
On mine the screws to the door frame came undone but the shelf ones were rusted solid but did yield to some nail pincers.

The chrome strips at the rear are attached by tiny rivets to the quarterlight frame and can be left in place unless you plan to have them rechromed.
Removing the quarterlight glass with its chrome surround from the frame requires the sprung swivel to be undone and the upper pivot loosened and slid up the frame. I have not removed the glass from the frames. If you need to replace the swivel springs (like me), Moss ones for MGBs seem to fit.
See the attached pictures.
I have pictures of the dismantled swivels as well if need be.

Good luck,
Roger

Attachments:
2016 061104 OSF qtr light frame screw.jpg    37.1 KB
2016 061104 OSF qtr light frame screw.jpg

2016 061106 OSF qtr light shelf screw position.jpg    36.5 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
2016 061110 Pincers undo OSF qtr light shelf screw.jpg    28.7 KB
2016 061112 OSF qtr light removed.jpg    17.9 KB
exbrat202 Avatar
exbrat202 Mac Pile
Roger,

Thanks very much for that explanation and the pictures, things are much clearer now, I've located the screws and dosed them with Plusgas. It certainly has helped me trying to understand the abortion that had been done by Motobuild, they'd cut off the outer half of the old seal all around the QL and replaced it with a piece of metal backed weather strip bent to shape and stuck in with silicone. Looking at your pictures, the seal seems to sit in a U channel which I presume that sits into a channel on the door frame? I'm also hoping to renew the glass to frame rubber seal using the Minor 1000 seal sold by ESM Pt No VNT115 priced at £1.95 +vat. Not sure what Moss charge for the MGB spring AHA 7544 but the MGOC are only 85p inc vat.

Ah well it's all character building....

Regards, Mac

Roger17Martin Avatar
Mac,

Yes, the seal sits in the u-channel that forms the base and front diagonal section of the quarterlight frame. However there is not a full channel in the door beneath it - just a little 'shelf' plate where the securing screw goes, see picture and also one of the unit disassembled.
You will probably have fun and games undoing the nuts on the two captive set screws holding the swivel positioning plate under the channel - one of mine sheared. Note that the swivel spacer 'washer' nearest the underside of the channel does not have a round hole so cannot be twisted off - it is shaped to fit flats on the swivel spindle so has to be pulled in line - see other pictures.
Moss are asking £1.03p for the MGB spring - part number AHA7544.

Roger

Attachments:
2016 061113 OSF qtr light shelf.jpg    31.4 KB
2016 061113 OSF qtr light shelf.jpg

2016 102710 OSF qtr light disassembled.jpg    34.1 KB
2016 112514 NSF qtr light swivel components.jpg    28.8 KB
2016 113004 new MGB qtr light spring.jpg    38.4 KB
exbrat202 Avatar
exbrat202 Mac Pile
Drivers door 1/4 light refurbishment finished using the Peter Martin supplied seal, Minor 1000 glass to frame seal and MGB tension spring, almost finished re-installation.

Attachments:
P1040435.jpg    46.3 KB
P1040435.jpg

Roger17Martin Avatar
Well done Mac.
That looks great.
Roger

Ian Williams Avatar
Derbyshire, Derbyshire, UK   GBR
Hi Mac

I am re furbing the drivers door now.. the info on how to remove the quarter light frame is very helpful !
I did think I would get away with keeping the old lower seal where it runs across the top of the door, but I pressed a screwdriver into the seal and it was solid and a chunk broke away !

Must find a way to restore this !

Ian

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-04-14 01:15 PM by Ian Williams.

Ian Williams Avatar
Where did you get the frame fixing screws from Mac. Peter Martin ?

exbrat202 Avatar
exbrat202 Mac Pile
Which ones do you mean Ian? The ones that attach the frame to the door diagonal and the one into the horizontal channel, i.e. both pass through the rubber seal as well.

Mac

Ian Williams Avatar
Frame to door I think they are..
Items 93, 96, 97

Do you think I can find Steve Hanegans tutorial and photos regarding reassembling the 1/4 window??

Google keeps deleting it. I DO wish I had printed the pics off ...confused smiley

Ian

exbrat202 Avatar
exbrat202 Mac Pile
Hi Ian, 97 is a self tapper, I have some aircraft screws that can be used for 96 and 93 but will need to be shortened slightly for use as 93, PM me your address and I'll pop some in the post. Presume you need enough for both sides?

Mac

Ian Williams Avatar
In reply to # 3432848 by Wray Mac, I'm sure Steve H has a bunch of pics, and I have some from when I did mine a couple of years back. I'll try and dig them up today. I believe you have to pull the window out to get enough working room to remove the assembly. Get ready to embark on a vexing journey. The front ones were kind of a pita. Let's not talk about there rear doors... The trauma is still fresh.

Don't tell me the rear ones are WORSE to do?? confused smiley

Wray Avatar
Wray Gold Member Wray Lemke
., South Carolina, USA   USA
Ian, my friend and fellow Magnetteer, if you haven't done the rears, then all I can say is you have my sincere sympathy. Getting the glass out then back in will try every patience bone in your body. I consider myself a fairly dab hand at this sort of thing but man, what a pita. I was ready to fling the glass across the garage.

Ian Williams Avatar
Mmmm....

is it the main window glass or the 1/4 glass that is the swine then ?

Ian

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster