MGExp

MG Magnette Forum

What did you do with your Magnette today?

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

mcquaid Avatar
mcquaid jim jans
hood river OR, USA   USA
Looks great !

So Jack, are you saying I should get my steel wool out and remove the paint off on my radiator? Do all the ZBs have brass tops on their radiators, if so I am going to start buffing.

Thanks

Jim Jans
'58 ZB
Hood River, OR

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
simon8 Simon Beyertt
Rothenstein, Thuringia, Germany   DEU
Hello Jhonny,
concerning the rack I once saw a good google photo collection showing 2 types of racks that were used on the magnette. They have differences in the mounting interface. Also the Rubber mounts that come aftermarket are different. I hope it's OK to post the link.

https://get.google.com/albumarchive/112234424386054937434/album/AF1QipP3owTuVxNrkZiD5yQQfzSwP0jk-DfGreWPZ_uj

Maybe this could explain to you how the rack should be fittet....
regards
Simon

exbrat202 Avatar
exbrat202 Mac Pile
Royal Wootton Bassett, Wiltshire, UK   GBR
1956 MG Magnette ZA "Vera"
Jack, as your car is a ZB it looks like the rubber mounting bushes are missing or have perished away, Peter Martin has these at £8 a car set, in the parts list page 55 they are items No 63 as part of the mount assy 45 and 62 through 66 whereas the ZA is fitted using the shims 43 and 44.

Mac

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Wray Avatar
Wray Gold Member Wray Lemke
., South Carolina, USA   USA
Jim, the radiators were always painted black. Buffing one is a personal choice. Yes, all the radiators have brass tanks, as far as I know.

In reply to # 3627212 by mcquaid Looks great !

So Jack, are you saying I should get my steel wool out and remove the paint off on my radiator? Do all the ZBs have brass tops on their radiators, if so I am going to start buffing.

Thanks

Jim Jans
'58 ZB
Hood River, OR

johnnyjewel Avatar
johnnyjewel Silver Member Jack Botts
Columbia, MO, USA   USA
1958 MG Magnette ZB "MooGoo"
Here is a taste of the results. I will finish the polish with successively less-coarse emery paper to add a nice smooth sparkle. You know you want the radiator to sparkle!

"I remember darkness doubled. I recall lightning struck itself." Television, "Marquee Moon"

1986 Volkswagen Vanagon Westfalia
2017 Subaru Impreza 5-Door

Attachments:
IMG_0027.JPG    43.2 KB
IMG_0027.JPG

IMG_0031.JPG    41.6 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
johnnyjewel Avatar
johnnyjewel Silver Member Jack Botts
Columbia, MO, USA   USA
Simon, thank you; the photos really help.

"I remember darkness doubled. I recall lightning struck itself." Television, "Marquee Moon"

1986 Volkswagen Vanagon Westfalia
2017 Subaru Impreza 5-Door

Darvie43 David Hill
Narellan, NSW, Australia   AUS
Fitted a 3.9-1 diff centre together with fine (23) spline axles, much nicer cruising, slight loss of performance but i can live with that,

58ZBMITCH Avatar
58ZBMITCH Gold Member Michael Mitchell
Etna, California, USA   USA
1958 MG Magnette ZB "NENA-CHULA"
1989 Toyota Pickup 4WD "NENA"
2009 Nissan Murano
David, ?What did You have Previously.......4.??
Michael/Kemosabe.

Darvie43 David Hill
Hi Michael
4.55-1. 1622cc, i1/2" SUs. MGA exhaust manifold and 1 3/4" pipes, 1800 "O" head. standard cam to keep the low speed torque. lightened flywheel to MG guru spec. 5 speed Toyota 5 speed trans.

58ZBMITCH Avatar
2009 Nissan Murano
Whoah David, Guezz that TIE YOTA 5 spd, Made Up the Rear end Ratio Difference.
?What Year TOY, Big Hassle Converting??
GraciaZ,
Michael/Kemosabe.

Darvie43 David Hill
Celica box do not know the year, bought a bellhousing from Dellow here in Sydney, have to use an MGB clutch release lever and clutch slave cylinder, i also fitted the MGB diaphragm clutch with a drive plate with the toyota splines. drilled the original rear mounting plate to take the toyota rubber mount.

58ZBMITCH Avatar
2009 Nissan Murano
David, Your info iZ Appreciated.
Kemosabe.

Ian Williams Avatar
., Derbyshire, UK   GBR
Finished repairing the rot on the passenger rear door..(underneath and outside lower edge where they all seem to go)
Found its previously had a "dink" in the side, but they'd added 1/4" of bodyfiller to repair..
They'd overdone it because when closed it wasnt flush with the sill..

Front door to do this afternoon...same kinda repair....

Ian Williams Avatar
., Derbyshire, UK   GBR
(Posted twice for some reason)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-11-18 01:14 PM by Ian Williams.

paddyreardon Avatar
paddyreardon Paddy Reardon
Calne, Wiltshire., UK   GBR
1933 Morris Minor "Evie"
1956 MG Magnette ZA
Finally got started on the sill repair. The drivers side sill was getting very crunchy towards the back.

Took all day to get most of the old one off, the inner structure looks good though.

I'm trying to decide if I want the jacking points on the new sills. They are vulnerable to being knocked on kerbs and I would never jack the car on them anyway.

Attachments:
20171118_140304.jpg    49.5 KB
20171118_140304.jpg

20171118_165353.jpg    48.3 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster