MGExp

MG Magnette Forum

What did you do with your Magnette today?

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Ian Williams Avatar
., Derbyshire, UK   GBR
Nice photos.... hey that might explain why Peter was so busy this week !

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
mcquaid Avatar
mcquaid jim jans
hood river OR, USA   USA
I finished the installation of the door cards. Lining up the clips was a bit of a challenge, but I overcame that hurdle. I was determined not to use the screw and cup washer method, except as a last resort.

The missing windshield washer nozzle nut has been obtained from Peter and is now installed, along with the rubber hoses for the vacuum water bottle and spray nozzles.

The custom green welting between the valance and the front fenders was also installed to match the welting that is located between the grill and the bonnet.

I had issues with the custom wire harness that was bought many years ago. So I removed the harness and have ordered a new stock harness. Minor set back, but this will allow me some time to double-check my work progress and tie up any loose ends.

I signed up for the All British Field meet in Portland, Oregon over this coming Labor Day weekend, and I am in high spirits, since this will be my first showing of the ZB.

Attachments:
20170715_184322.jpg    31.6 KB
20170715_184322.jpg

P1010651.JPG    29.8 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
20170716_160129.jpg    60 KB
Ian Williams Avatar
., Derbyshire, UK   GBR
Looks superb Jim !

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Ian Williams Avatar
., Derbyshire, UK   GBR
Prepping rear door ready for some paint, then new rubber trims...welding repairs done.
(One down, three to go) Need to get as much done before weather cools and it'll be too cold to spray..still have a few months still left..

When I get bored I go indoors and paint a bit more of the choc brown around the instrument panel on the dashboard.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-07-19 02:57 PM by Ian Williams.

Attachments:
150028764703619626137.jpg    50.9 KB
150028764703619626137.jpg

wilberforce Charlie Tynan
Tyne & Wear, Tyne & Wear, UK   GBR
Got some new hoses and thermostat gasket from Peter and all installed, including a temperature gauge that works now.

However, after getting everything back together, I was just about to fire the old dear up when I spotted the thermostat sat in the engine bay. Should it be in the thermostat housing I asked myself, Homer Simpson moment!!

No working semaphores which is my next task, could it be just the bulbs?

More parts on order from Peter, so getting there, still.

Darvie43 David Hill
Narellan, NSW, Australia   AUS
During the closure of the factory and moving "stuff" home and to my daughters garage i mislaid (a great word, covers all kinds of sins!) the fuel blowback tube and the lever that connects the exterior button to the door lock, i put out a request for HELP and within a few hours got an email from the Magnette registrar here in NSW saying that he had the parts and when would i like to pick them up,
It is times like this that it is good to be part of a close knit family long may it continue.

In reply to # 3553325 by mcquaid The missing windshield washer nozzle nut has been obtained from Peter and is now installed, along with the rubber hoses for the vacuum water bottle and spray nozzles.

If you are ordering the same from Peter, I hope he has enough for me as well.

Also, the spot lamp doesn't look period ;-) But it does get me thinking, I could put my Hella 1000's on mine.

mcquaid Avatar
mcquaid jim jans
hood river OR, USA   USA
Thanks, Ian. You are making great progress and yes there is a light at the end of the tunnel.

Charlie: No my spot lamp is not period. I went to Wal Mart and got a couple of fog lamps, the set was under $20. They are wired up, and I like the looks of the spot lamp but have no intentions of using them. I even used the "yellow" bulb covers from the Bugeye for the turn signals, same diameter but a bit taller.

Thanks

Jim

'58 ZB
Hood River, OR

Jim,

The one in the photo looks fine.

My dad who's car it is, but I'm taking over ownership, wants me to do away with the semaphores and install flashers. He did modify the spots on a previous ZA to be the front flashers, I've told him I won't be doing that, but will be installing flashers as folk just don't see the semaphores. Sadly today is rather damp here on Tyneside so not doing anything MG wise.

exbrat202 Avatar
exbrat202 Mac Pile
Royal Wootton Bassett, Wiltshire, UK   GBR
1956 MG Magnette ZA "Vera"
Charlie, the front of my car with flashers fitted, side lights are integral within the P700 tripod headlights, I replaced the original side light fittings with the units that take the deeper 21w full size bulbs and use the mirrored indicator bulbs as fitted to my last Freelander 2 (LR 2 in USA), you can't really see that they are orange but do flash orange, retains more of the original look I thought.

Mac

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-07-20 05:00 PM by exbrat202.

Attachments:
20031873_1615980508414881_331241701536595386_n.jpg    47.8 KB
20031873_1615980508414881_331241701536595386_n.jpg

Ian Williams Avatar
., Derbyshire, UK   GBR
Yes Mac they do look authentic. I have the indicator lenses similar to the early mini on mine (whether they are correct or not I don't know. .) I haven't found and amber bulb fitted, but will certainly be adding a pair!

Ian

SteveZBMagnette Avatar
SteveZBMagnette Gold Member Steven Hanegan
Lake Forest Park, WA, USA   USA
1958 MG Magnette "Zeebee"
1962 MG MGA MkII "Arthur"
1969 MG MGB GT "The Black Russian"
1970 MG MGB "50/50"
So, a couple of weeks ago, before I journeyed down south to California to attend GT-42 and MG 2017, I finally re-attached some long detached sheetmetal - the boot lid, bonnet and wings...

Today, to celebrate this beast looking more like an actual car than it has in years, and, to celebrate the seats being newly upholstered, I put the car up on a flatbed and had it hauled off to Hoglands Top Shop in Everett to be carpeted and have the headliner installed...

The end is near... I can see the light... and smell the freedom of kicking this car out of the garage and bringing MY (long suffering and neglected) Magnette home where it belongs... Huzzah!

Attachments:
IMG_8707.JPG    53.5 KB
IMG_8707.JPG

IMG_8714.JPG    41.5 KB
IMG_8717.JPG    47.7 KB
IMG_8929.JPG    32.9 KB
IMG_8930.JPG    33.6 KB
IMG_8932.JPG    48.3 KB
exbrat202 Avatar
exbrat202 Mac Pile
Royal Wootton Bassett, Wiltshire, UK   GBR
1956 MG Magnette ZA "Vera"
She looks amazing Steve, better than new!

Ah Mac, got me thinking.

I might be picking your brains in the future. I do like to things as authentic/standard as possible.

427ZA Avatar
427ZA Ian Metcalf
Milton Keynes, UK   GBR
My apologies Charlie, there's not much authentic or standard about mine!

Finally managed to work out the steering column routing. It took three u.j's, a support bearing and some very careful measuring to locate the centre joint but, at last, the steering wheel is connected to the narrowed MG Midget rack!
The top section of the column is from an unknown source but it fitted perfectly and a Morris Minor support bracket holds it to the dash. The rack had to be narrowed 193mm to move the outer pivot points to the correct position to avoid bump steer.

To say this has been challenging would be an underestimation but it's very satisfying to finally see it work.

www.enigmaracing.co.uk

A work in progress!

1955 ZA Magnette, 427ci Small Block Chevy, TH350, Ford 9"

Attachments:
steering column 1.jpg    31.9 KB
steering column 1.jpg

steering column 2.jpg    28.6 KB
steering column 3.jpg    36.3 KB

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster