MGExp

MG Magnette Forum

What did you do with your Magnette today?

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Dietrich Krahn Avatar
Kassel, Hessen, Germany   DEU
1956 MG Magnette ZA "Ms Adler"
1958 MG Magnette ZB "Bluebelle"
1962 MG MGA MkII
1978 Audi 80 GLS "Auguste"
Mac,
my plan is to control and perhaps remove the wire wheel adaptors and convert the car to steel wheels

Dietrich

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Supporting Member <
58ZBMITCH Avatar
58ZBMITCH Gold Member Michael Mitchell
Etna, California, USA   USA
1958 MG Magnette ZB "NENA-CHULA"
1989 Toyota Pickup 4WD "NENA"
2009 Nissan Murano
Dietrich, Sorry to read of Kaya'z Mishap!! NOW, that iz what i call a "Real Mascot"cool smiley (Hood Ornament) on the ZA.
Really Enjoyed the Pix. (Photo'Z) Hello to "The Gal'z"
Michael/Kemosabe.
"Ya Neva Kno".

Ian Williams Avatar
Derbyshire, Derbyshire, UK   GBR
It's saved the floor anyway...looks original.... mine had to be replaced.. Good work

enigmas Avatar
enigmas Vince Stok
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia   AUS
Interesting 'failure' of the hub on the MGA Dietrich! This car was obviously modified for wires using splined hub adaptors...hence the 4 wheel studs.
I've had this occur to my car (Magnette) on 2 occasions in my early 20s. Both times the wheel passed the car at speed...it's a very odd site. Also on both occasions the spinner came off. This was due to me being precious about the chromed spinner ears. Learnt my lesson. I do not spare the ears with my copper lead mallet. Its a badge of honour to me when I look at the deformed ears of my spinners. I know they won't work free! Don't be precious about the spinners...real men aren't precious about their ( spinner) 'ears'. winking smiley

As for the securing nuts...yes, use the double headed cone nuts or turn a set down in a lath. Also note that they aren't as tall. The taper is required on both ends so that the wire wheel hub side doesn't contact the nut head. If it does, the wheel won't lock against the taper but sits proud of it. So it's not properly secured even though it appears tight. Use a tension wrench and some loctite on the securing nuts of the splined hub...and don't be precious about the spinner ears...Safety First!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-05-14 07:07 PM by enigmas.

58ZBMITCH Avatar
2009 Nissan Murano
Slick Looking Picture Machot smiley
I Appreciate the Picturez, ?Iz that Your'z in the Rear-Right??
GraciaZ, Michael/Kemosabe.
"Ya Neva Kno".

58ZBMITCH Avatar
2009 Nissan Murano
Mark, Appearz az tho "The End Product", Turned out Fine.
Michael/Kemosabe.
"Ya Neva Kno".

exbrat202 Avatar
exbrat202 Mac Pile
Royal Wootton Bassett, Wiltshire, UK   GBR
1956 MG Magnette ZA "Vera"
Thanks Michael and well spotted! How did you work that one out? Lack of any side chrome I guess - still waiting for Peter to procure some replica hockey sticks, got the door spikes and "golf clubs".

Mac

58ZBMITCH Avatar
2009 Nissan Murano
Mac......"A Simple Deduction, my Dear Watson".Haha,eye rolling smiley
Lookin Good Macsmileys with beer
Michael/Kemosabe.
"Ya Neva Kno".

magnette486 Trevor Jones
Somerset, UK   GBR
Hi Dietrich

Really pleased your daughter is safe , must have been a frightening experience for her and for you both.

The problem with the modern adaptors for wire wheels is that the extend the stress points beyond the design limits of the wheel studs, any MGAs designed for wire wheels had a different axle width to adjust for the lacing of the wire wheel and to keep the loadings close to the hubs.

I have restored many MGAs over the years and always changed the wheels to steels, wire wheels flex a lot, this adds further stress to the adaptor which in turn stresses and stretch the wheel studs, this loosens the nuts and the chain of events that follows means the studs will work harden and just break off. Steel wheels will crack in the centre which indicates the level of flex that takes place, and the stresses that are present
If you look at the back wheels of a modified MGA with wire wheels these will be almost inline with the rear wing outer edge , apart from look rather silly, spoiling the appearance of the car, it has moved the loadings further out board by over 50 mm away from the hub, add bigger wheels and tyres and these increase the grip and the loadings are again multiplied significantly .

Unfortunately Loctite or similar will not prevent the stretching of the wheel studs which in some cases are 60 years old, I suggest that the material quality of these adaptors may not be as good they were, when originally designed for the TR2-6.
Best regards
Trevor

enigmas Avatar
enigmas Vince Stok
I don't necssarily agree Trevor. If the bolts are torqued properly, the wheel studs in good condition, the threads not compromised/butchered, etc and the correct nuts used for the hub adaptor, there won't be any issues. If you recall these hubs were also used on big Healey's.
They've been on my Magnette for over 40 years. In this time it's had 3 different engines ranging from: a Twin Cam MGA, 2 litre Triumph 2000 (6cyl), 2.5 PI (Triumph) and it's current 3.5 Rover SD1 engine.

The car was my daily driver through my late teens, twenties and to my mid 30's. It's been fitted with 60 spoke 15" wires, 14" MGB wires of various rim widths and offsets. No wheel studs have ever snapped/broken off. The only reason I lost wheels on both occasions (rear) was due to 'preciousness' and concern for the spinner ears and aesthetics.

These hubs and 1" thick steel adaptors have been in place for about 35 yrs with several engine configurations (6 - 8cyl). The rear differential is a narrowed V6 capri unit having a better final ratio (3.09) for the larger engines fitted to the car.

Here's an old photo when the car was 4 door.

Here's a picture of the car as it was in the early 1970s. 15", 60 spoke Triumph wire wheels and Twin Cam MGA engine fitted. Originally modified and imported from the UK by an Aussie surgeon, then later owned by a university administrator, then me. What can't be seen is the extensive lower body corrosion.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2017-05-15 04:26 PM by enigmas.

magnette486 Trevor Jones
Somerset, UK   GBR
I think you have said it all Vince, it is the condition and quality of the components and the maintenance , the current hubs are not as good as 40 years ago, judging from the experience of a friend with a TR6 where the flange of the adaptor actually buckled and the studs necked close to the brake drum .

Your cars look really good , well done
Trevor

Ian Williams Avatar
Derbyshire, Derbyshire, UK   GBR
Had another bash at spraying the the drivers door. Looking good so far, (though cellulose paint can reveal hidden surprises as it dries)

Fingers crossed. (Otherwise it's off to B&Q for a can of Dulux and a roller)
MG

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-05-20 01:50 PM by Ian Williams.

Attachments:
DSCN4321.JPG    28.4 KB
DSCN4321.JPG

20170520_165621.jpg    41.6 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
motorbill66 Bill Wardlow
Bellvue, Colorado, USA   USA
Today? Today I looked out at my Magnette in the drive. It's buried under 2 FEET of heavy wet snow. Welcome to Springtime in the Rockies! It's supposed to be in the low eighties by Sunday. I'll spend the today otherwise. Shovel? I'm retired from that noise. I have a 2012 Ram one ton 4WD P/U. That is my shovel.

enigmas Avatar
enigmas Vince Stok
A photo of that would be interesting Bill. cool smiley

In reply to # 3514856 by motorbill66 Today? Today I looked out at my Magnette in the drive. It's buried under 2 FEET of heavy wet snow. Welcome to Springtime in the Rockies! It's supposed to be in the low eighties by Sunday. I'll spend the today otherwise. Shovel? I'm retired from that noise. I have a 2012 Ram one ton 4WD P/U. That is my shovel.

58ZBMITCH Avatar
2009 Nissan Murano
Maestro, ?WHAT No Snow, Down Unda!! OR You just want a Pix., of a 2012 Ram,One-Ton, 4x4 Snow Shovel??.
Michael/Kemosabedevil smiley.
"Ya Neva Kno".

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1979 MG Midget

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links