MGExp

MG Magnette Forum

What did you do with your Magnette today?

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Ian Williams Avatar
Ian Williams Ian Williams W
., Leicestershire, UK   GBR
Hi Vince

Thanks for the links. .will download and study. .. hope spacing the latch will work....

Yes, I spent today releasing the hinge plate screws on the doors and copper greased them. When the doors come off next time I will use this method as it takes ages if you remove them at the pillars ! As you know, they just drop and immediately go out of "true"....

I didn't realise your forum posts went back THAT far !! As Michael would say. ..You've come a long way Kemusabe. .....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-03-18 05:25 PM by Ian Williams.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Supporting Member <
enigmas Avatar
enigmas Vince Stok
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia   AUS
Ian...Michael is Kemosabe...and I'm Maestro ! cool smiley

58ZBMITCH Avatar
58ZBMITCH Gold Member Michael Mitchell
Etna, California, USA   USA
1958 MG Magnette ZB "NENA-CHULA"
1989 Toyota Pickup 4WD "NENA"
2009 Nissan Murano
Ian, ABSOLUTELY Maestro!! OMG, I'm in Print!!!
Maestro, ?STILL Looking for Fletch??, I even Posted an "OFF Forum" Post.
ALL the Best, to ALL!!
Kemosabedevil smiley

Ian Williams Avatar
Hi Vince

Yes, I ve looked at those pics..really helpful.. I note the locking "peak" on the worn striker plate and will compare mine today..
I bet this is the old drivers one that I swapped some time back and it's now come back to haunt me !

Ian Williams Avatar
Doors of ready for paint prep.....(challenging in a single garage !)

Also dropped the 4 mm socket and attachment down the backside of the inner rear wheel whilst removing some bolted on chrome trim

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-03-19 09:56 AM by Ian Williams.

Ian Williams Avatar
Finally had the courage to add the stator brass nut ! Now the MG emblem on the central boss stay still while the wheel is turned ..... that alone has been quite a journey ! Thanks to all who have helped me in my hour of need...

Drivers door is now off and I am prepping the frame ready for paint.

Darvie43 David Hill
Narellan, NSW, Australia   AUS
Hi Ian,
Got dropsey?, time to buy a flex magnet.

Ian Williams Avatar
Yepppp !! On order

Ian Williams Avatar

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-03-20 01:48 PM by Ian Williams.

Magnette57 Paul Lupton
Bribie Island, Australia   AUS
This is not what I did today, but what I did to keep my wife happy when we travel to our MG National Meeting every Easter in Australia. As every Magnette owner knows Summer keeps driver and passenger a bit too warm at times. As we were to travel to Perth in 2016 from the coast of Queensland a 4000 km journey I was requested to air-condition the sedan. After getting two quotes from local custom installers for $5000 to $6000 plus, I decided to investigate a DIY approach. Fortunately Nostalgic Air in the USA makes a kit for the MGB. As I'm running a three bearing 1800 motor I knew that the necessary engine brackets would be suitable. The only problem with the kit was that the condenser unit in the kit fits in front of the MGB radiator, an impossibility with a Magnette radiator and grill arrangement. The solution is to fit a remote condenser and its fan under the floor below the back seat where there is a convenient arch large enough to keep the condenser/fan unit out of harms way. The other issue is the placement of the evaporator. To do this I took out the heater unit as the evaporator I chose is both cooling and heating.

I'm proud to say that I successfully installed the unit which was charged with the refrigerant gas by my local auto electrician.

On our drive to and from Perth, we averaged 37mpg (five speed gearbox) and down to 31mpg when using the air-con.

I can thoroughly recommend Nostalgic Air for the quality of their products and their excellent email support. They are very patient people!

Paul Lupton
57 ZB Magnette

Ian Williams Avatar
37mpg sounds good for a magnette...I thought they only did about 25 mpg! (Well with a stock 1500 lump)

In reply to # 3472520 by Magnette57 This is not what I did today, but what I did to keep my wife happy when we travel to our MG National Meeting every Easter in Australia. As every Magnette owner knows Summer keeps driver and passenger a bit too warm at times. As we were to travel to Perth in 2016 from the coast of Queensland a 4000 km journey I was requested to air-condition the sedan. After getting two quotes from local custom installers for $5000 to $6000 plus, I decided to investigate a DIY approach. Fortunately Nostalgic Air in the USA makes a kit for the MGB. As I'm running a three bearing 1800 motor I knew that the necessary engine brackets would be suitable. The only problem with the kit was that the condenser unit in the kit fits in front of the MGB radiator, an impossibility with a Magnette radiator and grill arrangement. The solution is to fit a remote condenser and its fan under the floor below the back seat where there is a convenient arch large enough to keep the condenser/fan unit out of harms way. The other issue is the placement of the evaporator. To do this I took out the heater unit as the evaporator I chose is both cooling and heating.

I'm proud to say that I successfully installed the unit which was charged with the refrigerant gas by my local auto electrician.

On our drive to and from Perth, we averaged 37mpg (five speed gearbox) and down to 31mpg when using the air-con.

I can thoroughly recommend Nostalgic Air for the quality of their products and their excellent email support. They are very patient people!

Paul Lupton
57 ZB Magnette

enigmas Avatar
enigmas Vince Stok
It'd be great if you could post some photo's of your aircon modification Paul. The aircon is a definite plus in Qslands often humid climate.

That's definitely a decent road run to Perth and back.

In reply to # 3472520 by Magnette57 This is not what I did today, but what I did to keep my wife happy when we travel to our MG National Meeting every Easter in Australia. As every Magnette owner knows Summer keeps driver and passenger a bit too warm at times. As we were to travel to Perth in 2016 from the coast of Queensland a 4000 km journey I was requested to air-condition the sedan. After getting two quotes from local custom installers for $5000 to $6000 plus, I decided to investigate a DIY approach. Fortunately Nostalgic Air in the USA makes a kit for the MGB. As I'm running a three bearing 1800 motor I knew that the necessary engine brackets would be suitable. The only problem with the kit was that the condenser unit in the kit fits in front of the MGB radiator, an impossibility with a Magnette radiator and grill arrangement. The solution is to fit a remote condenser and its fan under the floor below the back seat where there is a convenient arch large enough to keep the condenser/fan unit out of harms way. The other issue is the placement of the evaporator. To do this I took out the heater unit as the evaporator I chose is both cooling and heating.

Paul Lupton
57 ZB Magnette

mcquaid Avatar
mcquaid jim jans
hood river OR, USA   USA
With spring just around the corner I am able to work on the ZB in much warmer weather. I am following Charlie Durning's disc brake conversion that he wrote up on this site. But I felt the hose was too short and the fitting should head up in between the two bumps on the calipers, so I had new hoses custom made at Premier Rubber in Portland. I have purchased new inner seals and have repacked the bearings along with replacing the brake lines from the 4 way fitting down to the each of the front wheels. The hubs have been turned on the lathe and I am waiting to get the studs pressed back into the hubs so I can finish installing the disc brake rotors and get the front end finished on the ZB.

The 4 way power seats have been wired in and the inserts have been sewn in to match the rear seats. I have weaved new pull cords for the front doors following the guidelines from the craft book by Design Originals using 11 feet of 550 green parachute cord in about five minutes. The front seats now have the map pockets installed on the back side and I am still looking for the ashtrays that match the front ashtray that is located in the dash. Now next on my list, I have to color dye the leather in order to match the rest of the interior.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-03-20 07:43 PM by mcquaid.

Attachments:
P1010240.JPG    46 KB
P1010240.JPG

P1010242.JPG    52.2 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
P1010210.JPG    37.8 KB
P1010161.JPG    35.4 KB
enigmas Avatar
enigmas Vince Stok
I like your attention to detail Jim....it not only 'looks right' but all you work will be safe in use too! thumbs up

Darvie43 David Hill
Narellan, NSW, Australia   AUS
Are you using standard wheels or widened?, check the clearance on full lock, the hose runs very close to being fouled between the top arm and the wheel rim with wide wheels.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster