MGExp

MG Magnette Forum

What did you do with your Magnette today?

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Skye Avatar
Skye Webmaster Skye Nott
Vancouver, BC, Canada   CAN
1964 Vespa VNB 125
1966 MG MGB "The Bomber RIP"
1983 Suzuki MC GS750E "Kate"
1986 Merkur XR4Ti "The Rally Car"    & more
Did you repair or replace some worn out parts?
Add a new accessory?
Take it out for a drive on some charming back roads?

What did YOU do with your Magnette today?

Post your update below......

Webmaster, The MG Experience
AutoShrine.com - Corvus Digital

Member Services:
Building the best online communities for auto enthusiasts
socram Avatar
socram Ray Green
Auckland NZ, New Zealand   NZL
I waved at it, as it still isn't road legal, as I was off to the Hampton Downs Festival of Motor Racing, featuring Ferrari... Wow!

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Supporting Member <
david.g.h David Harrison
Stratford upon Avon, UK   GBR
Had a shuffle round of cars & the ZA spun over, but wouldn't fire. last week it started perfectly after I fixed a stuck float. So I opened the bonnet (!) & the engine was covered in condensation...it has been wet here in UK! It was a surprise as the garage is modern & well ventilated. Anyway a good blast of WD40 around the electrics & away it went. Drove out & about & warmed every thing up. Then I removed a 50's 3 pin socket from the passenger side of the dash & covered the 3/4" hole with a nice early St Christopher badge. Ordered a set of motor bike indicators & a simple steering column switch, so that is the next thing to do.
David H

Skye Avatar
Skye Webmaster Skye Nott
Vancouver, BC, Canada   CAN
1964 Vespa VNB 125
1966 MG MGB "The Bomber RIP"
1983 Suzuki MC GS750E "Kate"
1986 Merkur XR4Ti "The Rally Car"    & more
Using WD40 for Water Displacement, there's an idea winking smiley

Webmaster, The MG Experience
AutoShrine.com - Corvus Digital

Member Services:
Building the best online communities for auto enthusiasts
Whitworth Ranch Avatar
Whitworth Ranch Mark H.
Deep Crag, California, South, USA   USA
Washed the ZB yesterday. It's the go-to daily driver and is not lavished with the attention it deserves.

Steve F Avatar
Wylie, Texas, USA   USA
Finally felt comfortable enough that the brakes were bled and balanced so I took the Magnette out for a spin. Stopped on a dime! Better than ever before. Now hoping for some warmer weather so I can keep on driving it.

Steve & Marilyn Fitch

1964 MK IV Farina
1966 B
1978 B

BMC Avatar
BMC Gold Member Brian Mc Cullough
Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA   USA
Not ours, a clients...

Pulled the 5 main engine a day ago. Working on the bits and pieces and considering with the owner whether to install the 5 main back in there or a 3 main.

-BMC.

Member Services:
Minnesota's only Fully Dedicated British Classic only shop providing Professional Restoration & Services & Specialty Products including- proper L.E.D. tail lights, Wiring looms and Engine and five speed Conversion Kits
dr5669 Avatar
dr5669 Gold Member David Looy
Campbell River B.C., Canada   CAN
Put a boat heater in mine to keep dampness out as it has snowed here for the second day.

david.g.h David Harrison
Stratford upon Avon, UK   GBR
Finally fitted my finest Chinese motor bike indicators (£9.99 delivered) complete with Maltese (Merit) column switch.
no wiring diagram (of course!) but a bit of trial & error off the car got them sussed.
Fitting was as easy as you might imagine (ho! ho!), wires taken inside the car where possible tucked under carpets and so on.
I trapped a live wire under one of my home made brackets - fitted outboard of the overriders & under the bumper- & that fried the flasher relay, so I had to order another couple of relays (just in case!) for £6.All now works.

RST-WRC Avatar
RST-WRC Andrew Leonhardt
Perth, WA, Australia   AUS
Fitted my new Hyundai wheels but even with bigger spacers the tie rod end still rub on the inside of the rim on the RHS!

Bugger damn poop!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-03-07 09:51 PM by RST-WRC.

Luv Em Old Avatar
Luv Em Old Brian Radich
Auckland, Auckland, New Zealand   NZL
Got a nice set of seats for my Varitone off Ebay UK. Original leather, no tears or cracks, correct colour. They will be great in place of the crappy vinyl ones currently in the car. But it won't be cheap shipping them from England to /new /Zealand.

crowbags Andrew Coster
Crowthorne, Berkshire, UK   GBR
I replaced the fuel pump (Facet) with another and still no pumping. The previous one started thew engine but then after a month lay up wouldn't start it again. Makes plenty of noise but won't pump. Am not sure if its an air leak or some other problem but might try fitting pump lower than tank to see if this fixes it.
I replaced the flasher with an electronic one and got 1 indicator working. Found the rears were never wired up, but front one must be poor connection. More fault finding to come....
One day I will get to drive it on the open road - dream on...

racedriver Avatar
racedriver Andrew McGee
Holmfirth, UK   GBR
Ah Brian, it was you who won them then :-)

Andrew

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-03-30 04:52 PM by racedriver.

enigmas Avatar
enigmas Vince Stok
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia   AUS
Andrew (crowbags), the facet pump needs to be gravity fed to work without priming manually (i.e. remove the fuel line at the carb and 'suck' but don't swallow, till you can 'taste' the fuel. WARNING: Not advised for children or the inept devil smiley) This will effectively prime the pump and it will work effectively until left for several days and petrol drains back down the line.
My Magnette hybrid runs a facet and it is above tank height hence the procedure. You live and learn.

Luv Em Old Avatar
Luv Em Old Brian Radich
Auckland, Auckland, New Zealand   NZL
Yes Andrew. They will be better than the torn vinyl seats that the car currently has. But it has taken a lot of hassle and time to get them out to New Zealand. The ship is meant to arrive in about a week. However the car is an empty shell at the moment so I guess there's no hurry.

Brian

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster