MG Magnette Forum

Welcome! Sign In Register
Please Sign In or Register to Search

NZ V8 progress...

Posted by socram 
socram Avatar
Ray Green
Auckland NZ, New Zealand   nzl

After far too much money and far too much time, my Magnette V8 is now at the paintshop.

Should be back before Christmas but I still haven't done the boot and bonnet panels nor the sill covers... Follow the progress on www.tops.co.nz but I am just condensing the pages, so don't be alarmed if after page 7, you need to shoot through to about part 14 before you get the next stage!

After the first coat of etch primer. Note the recessed fuel filler in the back panel that will be covered by a flap and a high level stop light.

The doors have already been primed, filled, primed again and sanded, so are now ready for paint. The front original wings/fenders have been re-used as I ran out of time (and ability) manufacturing fibreglass ones.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/04/2010 01:00AM by socram.
. You can hide this ad & support this site by upgrading to a Gold Membership ~ click here for more info
geezer Avatar
charles durning
Magee, Mississippi, USA   usa
1958 MG Magnette ZB "Chick Magnette"
1967 Morris 1100 "Stud Magnet"
1967 Morris Minor 1000 Saloon (2-door) "Morris"

Ray,

Looks great!!
enigmas Avatar
Vince Stok
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia   aus

Yeah that's a heap of work and looking forward to seeing the finished car...this should make for a few interesting V8 Magnettes on the block.
. You can hide this ad & support this site by upgrading to a Gold Membership ~ click here for more info
socram Avatar
Ray Green

A slightly older pic but showing the pointy end but before the radiator and fan were attached.

Thanks for the kind comments. I am really pleased that worldwide, there are several around and all are different.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/04/2010 10:19PM by socram.
enigmas Avatar
Vince Stok

Ray did you go the power steering route in the end? Also do you have any detailed pix of the front suspension mods. I like the idea of the rod ends on the upper wishbones for adjustment.
427ZA Avatar
Ian Metcalf
Milton Keynes, United Kingdom   gbr

That's a very clean build, the engine looks like a factory option sat there like that.

Nice work. thumbs up

www.enigmaracing.co.uk

A work in progress!

1955 ZA Magnette, 427ci Small Block Chevy, TH350, Ford 9"
socram Avatar
Ray Green

Hope that helps Vince!

The power steering option doesn't seem to be required as the little bit of trundling around I have done shows it to be no heavier than the MGB and lighter than the cast iron engined Marcos 3 litre.
socram Avatar
Ray Green

The black is BMW Sapphire Black - a slight metallic. Silver is BMW silver so that it matches the Mini!

The door assembly can begin - but see other thread... Any advice welcomed so that I don't scratch them!
enigmas Avatar
Vince Stok

I like the position of the separation line on the doors. I want to do something similar when I get to carving up the roof and doors of my car but keep the roof colour separate from the body colour as it'll be a coupe.

I admire the quality and standard of your work. I started modifying mine in my late teens (3 different engines discounting the original 1500)and it maps my increase in skills over the past 30 plus years.

Great project keep the pix coming.
socram Avatar
Ray Green

The first mock up of the revised door panel with armrest and pocket plus hole for the speaker.
socram Avatar
Ray Green

Partial dash rebuild progress pic - I think you get the general idea...

I never really cared too much for the original mix of mahogany and burr walnut and I think the mahogany cheapened it, though having seen on here, someone's rebuild, it looks a stunning restoration, but that doesn't actually make up for poor initial design.

A considerable amount of time was spent working out the instrument placements, ergonomic switch and warning light placement. In front of the driver are circular speedo & rev counter ex-MGB. (Rev counter/Tacho was converted from 4cyl to 8 cyl.) Plus, oil pressure gauge, clearly visible through the MG Montego wheel.

One of the joys of NOT doing a 100% perfect restoration is the total freedom to incorporate one's own ideas whilst not destroying the ambience or 'feeling' of the car. Repowering with a V8 - even if it carries MGB V8 badges will still possibly upset the purists and I can sympathise, but this was a wreck of a car and destined for the scrap heap!

Transmission tunnel is removable and the exposed aperture was strengthened to restore rigidity. Underside of the tunnel is covered with foil backed fabric (wool?), normally used in the manufacture of reflective fire suits for the fire brigade.

A hinged flap normally covers the radio aperture.

Even 1970's Aston Martins and MGB's are lacking in ergonomics as with your hands on the steering wheel, at least one instrument is obscured. Sorry, no excuses!

The under-shelf is ex P6 Rover, cut down.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 12/15/2010 01:42AM by socram.
enigmas Avatar
Vince Stok

Looks good Ray. As for ergonomics I managed to locate the ignition switch behind the indicator stalk...didn't notice it until it was too late!
socram Avatar
Ray Green

Keeping parallel with Vince's progress, this is how I tackled the heater problem.

First of all, I used the original heater blower, mildly modified to give clearance from the carb.

Inside the rear of the left wing/fender is a cavity that sits behind a splash panel. Inside the metal box is a Mini heater radiator matrix. The blower feeds into that box and on the inside of the car, the warmed air is piped up to the screen-vents only. By my calculations (OK, guesswork!) I won't be cold enough in this country to warrant a heater!

socram Avatar
Ray Green

From the interior. Incidentally, I struggled to find the right dimension flexible tube but happened across a vaccuum cleaner repair shop. They had heaps of tubing in two different diameters and were happy enough for me to take what I needed. If only other items had been so cheap... Even some 3/16" x 1/2" countersunk set screws were $1 each!

enigmas Avatar
Vince Stok

That's a clever solution to the heater problem. The cavity to the side of the footwell and inside the PS mudguard is just wasted space otherwise. A nice piece of lateral thinking.
427ZA Avatar
Ian Metcalf
Milton Keynes, United Kingdom   gbr

Heating????

I think I'll have to rely on the engine and exhaust heat to keep mine warm. thumbs up

www.enigmaracing.co.uk

A work in progress!

1955 ZA Magnette, 427ci Small Block Chevy, TH350, Ford 9"
socram Avatar
Ray Green

The indicator lamps are incorporated into the standard unit. I removed the festoon lamp holder from a trailer lamp and using one of the three original holes in the bodyshell, simply attached the lamp holder. A small hole drilled through the lamp unit and bodyshell for the cable and job done. It is a tight squeeze but it works OK.

I have moulded and modified a new rear bumper but it isn't yet ready for paint.
socram Avatar
Ray Green

I was originally going to blank off the old trafficators but when I stripped them, it didn't take much effort to get them working again. One is obviously much newer than the other. I had always intedned using an LED in the pillar and the pic might just show exactly where!

Having thought I was being smart, I then realised that if the trafficators were wired in with the flashers, they would be going beserk, so I'll simply run a new wire from the trafficator to another switch somewhere - but it will be just for looks really! I may need to remove the trafficator housing again as I think I should consider water ingress (and egress...)

I also intend to add a thin red pinstripe just below the black/silver join line, but as I am still reeling from the painting bill, it won't be just yet.
enigmas Avatar
Vince Stok

I'd like to see the whole car Ray. What you've shown looks fantastic.
socram Avatar
Ray Green

Which bit would you like to see! Wings haven't yet been refitted. Home made bonnet and boot lid plus sills are unfinished... My website covers most of it Vince. www.tops.co.nz It includes one or two blind alleys too. Happy to post any pic of any area that interests - you or anything you think might be of interest to others.

I am currently finalising the wiring at the rear end so nothing much to see today.

Reply to this topic or post your own questions!

Members Sign In if you've already registered, or

Register a New Account

Registration is free and takes less than a minute

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Check the Forum Help File (FAQ) or contact the webmaster.

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

MGExp Menu

What's New

Membership

Forums ->

MGB & GT

MG Midget

Buy, Sell & Trade

Vendor Market

MG Engine Swaps

Original MG