Posted by losmorob 
losmorob Avatar
Robert Park
Los Molinos, CA, USA   usa
1967 Austin-Healey Sprite "Penelope"
1970 MG MGB GT "Parts For Sale!"
1971 Wolseley 16/60
1972 MG MGB GT "The Money Pit"

I've decided to keep the stock 1622 in the Wolseley.(Farina Magnette) Maybe go to a dual carb set up as I have a set with a manifold.
Questions:

1 The motor is a stock 1622. As the car is a '71, does that make it a 5-main lump?

2 Any options for a lower rear end pumpkin swap? I've read you can use a lower ratio early (banjo) MGB set-up, but the spider gears need to be swapped as the axle splines are different...yes/no/maybe/comments?

Rob.

"Now the problem you have is that when you have the unerring certainty of machinery, it is a machine. When something has foibles, it won’t handle properly, that gives it a particularly human quality because it makes mistakes. And that’s how you can build a relationship with a car that other people won’t get."
Jeremy Clarkson
. You can hide this ad & support this site by upgrading to a Gold Membership ~ click here for more info
Rich in Vancouver Avatar
Rich McKie
Steveston, B.C., Canada   can
1997 MG MGF "VVC"

You have a car that's pretty much outside my (our?) experience there.
My assumption would be that the 1622 remained as a 3-main and the rear end
stayed a banjo with a 4.55 or 4.85. If that's the case it may help to go to a
4.3 or a 4.1 rear end along with the carb change which may add a few HP.
I don't think that I would go to a 3.9
If you went to a high compression 1800 that would be a major increase in performance,
but this is a Wolseley and that would be rather undignified!

Cheers,
Rich
B-racer Avatar
Jeff Schlemmer
Minnesota, USA   usa

Are you sure it has a banjo rear end? I though those were defunct in 1968. Do you actually know what the rear gear ratio is? Did you find the stamp on the housing that tells you the gear ratio? Do you have a 4-synchro tranny or a non-synchro 1st gear?

jeff@advanceddistributors.com
. You can hide this ad & support this site by upgrading to a Gold Membership ~ click here for more info
dela217 Avatar
Michael Delacerda
New Orleans, La, USA   usa

I honestly thought that when the Farina's went to a 1622, the rear went to a 3.9. Of course I could be wrong!
losmorob Avatar
Robert Park
Los Molinos, CA, USA   usa
1967 Austin-Healey Sprite "Penelope"
1970 MG MGB GT "Parts For Sale!"
1971 Wolseley 16/60
1972 MG MGB GT "The Money Pit"

Banjo rear end. I'll have to look for numbers tomorrow.

Rob.

"Now the problem you have is that when you have the unerring certainty of machinery, it is a machine. When something has foibles, it won’t handle properly, that gives it a particularly human quality because it makes mistakes. And that’s how you can build a relationship with a car that other people won’t get."
Jeremy Clarkson
stu batten
Australia   aus

Ive got a 3.9 in a totally stock 1500 with 80000+ miles on it...absolutely the best thing I ever ever did...still pulls anywhere and 3rd is good for 65mph easily..

Reply to this topic or post your own questions!

Members Sign In if you've already registered, or

Register a New Account

Registration is free and takes less than a minute

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Check the Forum Help File (FAQ) or contact the webmaster.

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Adjust Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save