MG Magnette Forum

Welcome! Sign In Register
Please Sign In or Register to Search

T5 gearbox swap continued

Posted by FTD in an MGB 
FTD in an MGB Avatar
Ed Sweeney
Philadelphia, USA   usa

I've been forging ahead with the project, despite a lack of updates! A few issues were encountered that make the conversion more complex than a T5 swap in an MGA or MGB.
First is the inability to swap to early the MGB front gearbox cover, due to the top mount pivot arm. This is the first step in changing to the MGB diaphragm clutch cover, which would have fit over the Ford disc perfectly. The early spring type pressure plate needed to be used, so we had to bore out the ID of the contact surface until it no longer fouled the Ford disc.

So, with the disc and pressure plate on the flywheel the gearbox was offered up from underneath. Now we see that the gearbox is just slightly too tall, and fouls against the tunnel. Time for some sheetmetal work! I added a 3/4" rib to the top of the tunnel and used some judicious sledge hammer blows to move the firewall lip and all was well.

The stock mount was cut down, and an MG-TD front engine mount was used as the gearbox mount. As of this evening, it is installed for hopefully the last time!

. You can hide this ad & support this site by upgrading to a Gold Membership ~ click here for more info
FTD in an MGB Avatar
Ed Sweeney
Philadelphia, USA   usa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/12/2010 05:09PM by FTD in an MGB.
Red-B-Ned Avatar
Ned Sweeney
Reading, PA, USA   usa
1965 MG MGB
1995 Jaguar XJ6

You're getting closer to a test drive!!! thumbs up spinning smiley sticking its tongue out
. You can hide this ad & support this site by upgrading to a Gold Membership ~ click here for more info
Big Ed Avatar
Ed Brorein
New Jersey, USA   usa

There's always some more to be done than initially expected! At least the little extra filler strip in the top of the tunnel doesn't change the shape of the tunnel significantly; the original carpet should fit without issue and appearance. Good luck with it. Ed
Be Coming Avatar
Kelvin Dodd
So. Calif., USA   usa
1957 MG MGA
1957 MG MGA Coupe
1958 MG Magnette
1959 MG MGA
1962 Morgan 4 Seater   → more

Last night, I went in the opposite direction and repaired the damage I had done when trial fitting a 4 synch. OD trannie into my car.

I opted for the High Gear T9 5 speed conversion, so the tunnel is back to it's original shape.

btw. Incredibly nice work Ed. Thanks for taking the time to post the images.

Kelvin.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/17/2010 10:56AM by Be Coming.

Attachments:
P6160055.JPG (51.1 KB) –
P6160055.JPG

FTD in an MGB Avatar
Ed Sweeney
Philadelphia, USA   usa

Well done Kelvin. At this rate you'll at least be able to drive the car from the trailer to the show field under it's own power right? drinking smiley

B-racer Avatar
Jeff Schlemmer
Minnesota, USA   usa

That's one clean floor Kelvin, especially given the grinding that just took place! Great work (both you and Ed)!!!

jeff@advanceddistributors.com
Danbgt Avatar
Dan Suter
Rochester, NY, USA   usa

Hi Ed,
I have been reading your restoration notes with great interest. Wonderful work!

Would you mind sharing what prompted the T5 project? I am guessing that the benefits of a T5 might be their ready availability here in the USA, and strength for this application. But, it looks like it has caused a serious amount of work and custom fabrication relative to a T-9 conversion. (is that accurate?)

Thanks,
Dan
FTD in an MGB Avatar
Ed Sweeney
Philadelphia, USA   usa

Thanks Dan!

What prompted the project was a combination of things, but the overriding factor was the availability of cheap labor (my Dad!) that made it a feasible undertaking. Unless you have access to this sort of machine work, I doubt it would be a worthwhile undertaking for a Magnette.

With that said, I still would have just saved up for one of the readily available kits if they had all of the features I was looking for. This setup gives me a few key benefits:
- a gearbox with readily available parts support in the US.
- a separate bellhousing, so I could retain the top-mount slave cylinder (it's just cool)
- cheap short shifter kits to give me a nice feel even with a relatively long lever

By the way, the T5 project has been done a few times in the past on MGA's and MGB's. From what I've heard these cars allow the use of a better diaphragm clutch and they don't require tunnel modification so that makes it even more desirable on those cars.

I'll chime back in once I actually drive the stupid thing!

BMC Avatar
BMC Gold Member
Brian Mc Cullough
Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA   usa
1959 Austin A40 Farina
1959 Austin-Healey Bugeye Sprite
1961 Austin-Healey Sprite "Green Sprite"
1969 MG MGC GT "CGT"
1979 MG MGB   → more

Ed,

Any idea how far off the shifter will be from stock? Looks like its dead on and I imagine that with the rather large shifter boot, your going to be able to make it appear absolutely right on.

The T5 we are mounting is going to be off by about 1" but suspect that no one will notice because of the amount of room the Magnette gives. (A non-'B' series driveline)

-BMC.

BMC British Automobile   – Minneapolis, MN USA BMC British Automobile is a Restoration and Repair shop north of Minneapolis, Minnesota. Our time is spent solely on British vehicles and British Conversions. MG and Austin are our specialties.

Reply to this topic or post your own questions!

Members Sign In if you've already registered, or

Register a New Account

Registration is free and takes less than a minute

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Check the Forum Help File (FAQ) or contact the webmaster.

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Adjust Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save