AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

vdubmga Avatar
vdubmga v wasem
46N1165W, WA, USA   USA
1924 Other Not Listed "1924 Cat 2-ton"
1961 MG MGA 1600
1967 MG MGB GT
This makes me a bit unhappy. I put in a new gas level sending unit in 2014. I started having problems about 18 months ago, but thought it was the gauge. After all, the gauge was 55 years old and the sending unit was only 3 years old. I sent the gauge in and had it repaired (Western Instruments are great!), but I still had problems. I did multiple tests and even bought a new vom.

I really, really didn't want to drain my gas tank. Such a PITA to drain it out and then worse is trying to reseal it so it doesn't leak. Everything concerned is just a big hassle, not to mention I had to buy two new 5-gallon gas jugs, drain hose, and a catch pan which all came to about $40. Plus screwing around with purchasing a new vom, because the problem couldn't possibly be a 3 year old sending unit, right?

After a lot of expense and a lot of time testing, I decided to button things up, because I was going on a vacation and didn't want to leave the gas tank open. As I was slipping the float through the hole, I noticed a small bubble. Yeap, the float is so perfectly full of fuel that it is nearly imperceptible. I would never have known had it not been for that one tiny bubble.

The part that disturbs me is that after all I have purchased from Moss (nearly 100% of everything to restore my car), the most slack they would cut me on a new sending unit was to knock the price down from $56 to $47. Hardly seems fair regardless if it is out of warranty. Obviously, its not a problem I caused. I'm mildly pissed off.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
bobs77vet Avatar
bobs77vet bob K.
northern Va, VA, USA   USA
good job on fixing finding it....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-02-13 02:31 PM by bobs77vet.

wyatt Avatar
wyatt Silver Member Wyatt W
penguin point, drift ice, Antarctica   ATA
...HE DIDN'T SAY HE FIXED IT JUST DISCOVERED IT, oops ca[ps lovk, and parkinsons...eye popping smiley ..its fixable tho...

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
vdubmga Avatar
vdubmga v wasem
46N1165W, WA, USA   USA
1961 MG MGA 1600
1967 MG MGB GT
You're right, Wyatt... Just discovered and new complete sending unit is on the way. Would you believe I couldn't just get the float? I have some copper and considered making my own. Super, super po'ed.....

dr5669 Avatar
dr5669 Gold Member David Looy
Campbell River B.C., Canada   CAN
A lot of people have had this problem in recent years. The wire loop at the end of the float arm puts pressure on the molded plastic float seam and the seam cracks letting fuel in. Poor quality float ! You can get a replacement float made of solid closed cell plastic with a brass sleeve with a grove for the loop at the end of the float arm. They cost $6 or $7. I got mine from Summit Racing, Think they are made by Stewart Warner. Dave

Gary E Avatar
Gary E Silver Member Gary Edwards
Kernersville, ,N.C., USA   USA
I found the easiest way to drain the tank was a $4 syphon hose pump from HF and a 5 gal can. Syphon 5 gal out, syphon 5 gal into another car , repeat as needed. About the float... buy some spares..

Here is the plastic one

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/omx-1772901

or a brass one

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sdk-c0az-9202-b

no sink one

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sww-836092

Gary

bobs77vet Avatar
bobs77vet bob K.
northern Va, VA, USA   USA
In reply to # 3680604 by wyatt ...HE DIDN'T SAY HE FIXED IT JUST DISCOVERED IT, oops ca[ps lovk, and parkinsons...eye popping smiley ..its fixable tho...

oops.....corrected post

vdubmga Avatar
vdubmga v wasem
46N1165W, WA, USA   USA
1961 MG MGA 1600
1967 MG MGB GT
Hey, thanks guys! I have cancelled my order at Moss. At least, I hope I have -- they were trying to track it down so it didn't go out. I hope they are successful. I don't want to get even more money tied up into something that I thought should have had a better option from Moss other than "buy a totally new sender".

Blueosprey90 Avatar
Blueosprey90 Jeff Sienkiewicz
New Milford, CT, USA   USA
You can also get a Ford Mustang float (brass / copper??) for about $6.

Check the very tip of the gauge unit float arm where it wraps around the float. I think they just cut these with snips, leaving a sharp burr that will cause a hole in the float. File this area down to eliminate sharp points.

vdubmga Avatar
vdubmga v wasem
46N1165W, WA, USA   USA
1961 MG MGA 1600
1967 MG MGB GT
Quote: You can also get a Ford Mustang float (brass / copper??) for about $6.
Yeap, grabed one off of amazon. Thanks, gentlemen!

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster