AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

JohnTyg Avatar
JohnTyg John Tygart
Syracuse, USA   USA
1959 MG MGA
Iv'e read this description in Tod Clarks tech guide (also referenced on Barney's site) and I still can't visualize the proper route that the side harness follows from the rear wheel chassis arch to under the floor boards to meet up with the battery cable P-clip.

"REF. No. 10A - Harness routes up through area above front of rear leaf springs attachment point - continuing up between rear - upright floorboard and tubular chassis section"

?? is this saying it goes from fuel pump to over the round tube cross member then down in front of it between tube and plywood rear floor upright ?

Any pics or better descriptions?

Thanks in advance.

John T

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Bolney Coupe Avatar
Bolney Coupe David A
Haywards Heath, Sussex, UK   GBR
1960 MG MGA 1600 Coupe "Iris"
John

Have you seen Barney's RT-120?

Cheers

Dave

DevonMG John Russell
Okehampton, Devon, UK   GBR
In reply to # 3660248 by JohnTyg Iv'e read this description in Tod Clarks tech guide (also referenced on Barney's site) and I still can't visualize the proper route that the side harness follows from the rear wheel chassis arch to under the floor boards to meet up with the battery cable P-clip.

"REF. No. 10A - Harness routes up through area above front of rear leaf springs attachment point - continuing up between rear - upright floorboard and tubular chassis section"

?? is this saying it goes from fuel pump to over the round tube cross member then down in front of it between tube and plywood rear floor upright ?

Any pics or better descriptions?

Thanks in advance.

John T

This picture I took of my car while disassembling it should help, John. Note how the cable covering has rotted away where it goes round the tube.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
IMG_3693.JPG    57.7 KB
IMG_3693.JPG

JohnTyg Avatar
JohnTyg John Tygart
Syracuse, USA   USA
1959 MG MGA
Thanks guys,

The RT120 reference does have one pic showing the loom descending down the back of rear upright bulkhead (first pic below is from your reference).

Devon, that photo of your original loom passing over the round tube crossmember belongs on Barney's site. I thought that is what they were describing but wasn't sure. I get it now.

I am reversing the positions of battery cable in relation to loom as I am using a larger cable and it is easier to expand the inner part of the P clip to fit (I'll cover the loom with shrink tubing where it runs under floor boards, not original but out of sight).

John

Attachments:
From RT120.jpg    31.7 KB
From RT120.jpg

IMG_1915.jpg    35.3 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
IMG_1922.jpg    40.3 KB
IMG_1924.jpg    63.7 KB
DevonMG John Russell
Okehampton, Devon, UK   GBR
John. These pictures I took as I was stripping my chassis might help you. They show the original position of the various pipes and cables as they run down the side rail of the chassis. The chassis was standing on its side when I took the second one.

Attachments:
IMG_3689.JPG    50.6 KB
IMG_3689.JPG

IMG_3721.JPG    53.7 KB
Bolney Coupe Avatar
Bolney Coupe David A
John

That's a big battery you've got in there. Will you be able to get it out through the battery aperture when the body is on?

JohnTyg Avatar
JohnTyg John Tygart
Syracuse, USA   USA
1959 MG MGA
David,

The body is on smiling smiley

Did all the hydraulic and fuel lines prior to placement of body, but left the rear upright panel and rear floar board unattached to allow easier access.

The battery is an Odyssey PC1200 http://www.odysseybattery.com/extreme_battery_specs.aspx
It has a 7.87" X 6.66" foot print and fits my battery boxes well. These were the extended versions offered by Eclectic Motorworks a few years back. I think extended one inch. The battery is easy to remove and a little expensive but has a metal outer case and a CCA of 540.

John

Attachments:
IMG_9293.jpg    39.4 KB
IMG_9293.jpg

IMG_9908 copy.JPG    57 KB
Bolney Coupe Avatar
Bolney Coupe David A
John

Congratulations. That's a great result.

Cheers

Dave

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster