AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

A on a shoe string Avatar
A on a shoe string Peter Stevenson
Aubusson d'Auvergne, Auvergne, France   FRA
1960 MG MGA 1600 "A"
1972 MG Midget MkIII "Midget"
...just wondering what peoples favourite head gear is when driving with the roof down. I've been driving my Midget for about 40 years, the present project is an MGA which I'm looking forward to driving again but I think the noise of driving roofless is partly to blame for a bit of hearing loss and tinnitus (continuous high pitched whistle in the ears - and I mean continuous). You must have noticed just how loud the radio needs to be when travelling at anything over 40 mph.

Rather (too) late in the day I'm looking more closely at headgear to replace the trusty baseball cap for something that covers the ears. Ideally something with a decent peak (Midgets don't have sun visors), doesn't blow off, covers the ears to protect them from wind buffeting... and has some style. I'm not that keen on flying helmets (no peak, too ostentatious).

For you younger MG Experience folk out there who have your hearing 100% intact, I recommend you give this some thought. Once a bit of hearing is lost - it ain't coming back. If you get tinnitus - it ain't going away.

Pete

PS Avoid driving on motorways (or whatever the US equivalent is) roofless. The noise levels are dangerous and it's not even fun.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
ozieagle Avatar
ozieagle Gold Member Herb Adler
Geelong Victoria, Australia   AUS
1958 Wolseley 1500 "Wooly"
1966 MG MGB "Bl**dy B"
Here's what I wear, not the most elegant.

Or, since you are in France, how about a Foreign Legion hat?

Herb

edited to add link to eBay Foreign Legion cap.

http://www.ebay.com/bhp/foreign-legion-hat

Questions about prostate cancer? Click here to join the discussion

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-11-26 01:59 PM by ozieagle.

Attachments:
Hat.jpg    57.9 KB
Hat.jpg

Basil Adams Avatar
About 12 miles from Sears Point, CA, USA   USA
Everyone needs a long white silk scarf and a leather WWI flying helmet with goggles!

Basil C. Adams
1956 MGA Coupe (Show Car)
1957 MGA Roadster (Driver)
1958 MGA Coupe (Racecar)
1959 MGA Coupe (unrestored)
1960 MGA Coupe (unrestored)
1960 MGA Roadster (Driver)
MKIII Elva Courier (E1056)
1967 427 Cobra
1972 Alfa Romeo Montreal
A coupla late MGBs
1960 Austin Healy BN7
More Cars than Brains

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Gary E Avatar
Gary E Silver Member Gary Edwards
Kernersville, ,N.C., USA   USA
I'm going to stick with the ballcap, the biggest problem is sun in my eyes.. I use earplugs if I'm going to drive a long distance on the interstate with the side curtains out. (generally don't drive on interstate with top down)

Gary

colynf Avatar
colynf Colyn Firth
South Yorkshire, UK   GBR
Peter,
I have tried a few different types of hat over the years and in the end I have to keep a couple of different ones in the car depending on the weather.

I have tried a hat with the brim like Herb recommends but I sit fairly high in the car and I find that the airflow makes the brim oscillate up and down so much that it is irritating and distracting.

I normally use a standard baseball cap in medium temperatures but I have found that in very hot weather I need one with a bigger brim and also with neck protection.

I have found one made by Columbia which is perfect for this. It is made of a thinner material and is cooler.
The first picture below is of me wearing this in France on our way to our Circuit of Mont Blanc in 2012.

The second picture is the baseball cap I use in the car in winter conditions, it is made of a very warm micro-fleece material and I have used it when I am skiing although I do now wear a ski helmet for skiing.
It is perfect in the MGA as I can turn the sides down over the ears when the temperature drops.

I used it earlier this year when we had a 200 mile tour of Wales in March and it got me through almost freezing conditions in heavy rain and gale force winds. (Top down naturally because Stuart Mumby was with us smiling smiley )

Colyn

Attachments:
IMG_2340.JPG    47.3 KB
IMG_2340.JPG

2017-11-26 21.57.25.jpg    43.8 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
ghnl Avatar
ghnl Eric Russell
Mebane, North Carolina, USA   USA
1961 MG MGA "Calvin"
Quote: I'm going to stick with the ballcap, the biggest problem is sun in my eyes..

Eric Russell ~ Mebane, NC
1961 MGA #61, 1981 Alfa Romeo GTV6, 1984 Alfa Romeo Spider, 1991 Honda ST1100

Attachments:
ball cap.jpg    54.2 KB
ball cap.jpg

wyatt Avatar
wyatt Silver Member Wyatt W
penguin point, drift ice, Antarctica   ATA
Haaaaaaa

Gary E Avatar
Gary E Silver Member Gary Edwards
Kernersville, ,N.C., USA   USA
That explains a lot....

Gary

Cribbs74 Ron Cribbs
Tuttle, OK, USA   USA
Hearing loss, while certainly external factors play a part, from my own personal experience with over 23 years working on a flightline in the USAF, I had very little hearing loss. I am tested regularly. I was subjected to sonic booms, full afterburn takeoffs, run ups, taxiing and landings. So I have to believe some hearing loss is hereditary. I have also driven open top on the freeways for a number of years. Power tools, Model engines etc. I could go on. I do experience occasional ringing in my ears.

I have no idea how old you are, but the damage ismostly done at this stage.

Can’t think of a cap that covers your ears that looks good, although a Russian hat or a hunter cap may be in line to what you are seeking.

A on a shoe string Avatar
A on a shoe string Peter Stevenson
Aubusson d'Auvergne, Auvergne, France   FRA
1960 MG MGA 1600 "A"
1972 MG Midget MkIII "Midget"
Many thanks for the responses. I shall investigate them all. I guess the hearing loss and tinnitus might have been coming to me anyway but there’s no sense in aggravating it. My grandad was fairly deaf but having survived WW1 guns may be that’s no surprise.

For me, it kicked in my late 50’s (I’m now 65). If after a drive the world seems a little quiet - take it as a warning.

mgbgt111 Avatar
mgbgt111 c erskine c
pelham, shelby county, USA   USA
My wife wants us to get matching polo style helmets for our trip out west in the MGA. I’m use to wearing a DOT motorcycle for the last 30 years, so a light weight helmet with ear flaps would not bother me. It would also cut back on the noise.
It would also look more period on an A.

Deo Volente

Attachments:
41D6A162-077C-479E-80E9-B78153C6B269.jpeg    29.3 KB
41D6A162-077C-479E-80E9-B78153C6B269.jpeg

ghnl Avatar
ghnl Eric Russell
Mebane, North Carolina, USA   USA
1961 MG MGA "Calvin"
In reply to # 3635066 by mgbgt111 My wife wants us to get matching polo style helmets...

Your wife looks like a guy.

Eric Russell ~ Mebane, NC
1961 MGA #61, 1981 Alfa Romeo GTV6, 1984 Alfa Romeo Spider, 1991 Honda ST1100

Grubeguy Avatar
Grubeguy Grube Guy
Washington, DC, USA   USA
In reply to # 3635088 by ghnl
In reply to # 3635066 by mgbgt111 My wife wants us to get matching polo style helmets...

Your wife looks like a guy.

Bwhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!

mgbgt111 Avatar
mgbgt111 c erskine c
pelham, shelby county, USA   USA
You think so? I showed her what you said and she mumbled something in Italian...

Deo Volente

Attachments:
0FE53D77-FA0C-4E5F-AEC7-007275EB066A.jpeg    36.8 KB
0FE53D77-FA0C-4E5F-AEC7-007275EB066A.jpeg

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster