AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

gapl1953 Avatar
gapl1953 Silver Member Greg Leitza
Springbrook, Wisconsin, USA   USA
1960 MG MGA
In reply to # 3627496 by ozieagle Check the flatness of your exhaust manifold, with a straight edge.

Herb

2X that!

If it is warped and leaking which it looks like it is, it will also suck air on the intake, which is not good either.

Greg

1961 MG MGA 1600 MkI Coupe
1971 MG Midget

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
59mgaguy Avatar
59mgaguy John Terschak
Wakeman, Ohio, USA   USA
1930 Ford Model A "Jenny"
1959 MG 14/28 "Jessie"
1974 MG MGB "Oooops"
In reply to # 3627496 by ozieagle Check the flatness of your exhaust manifold, with a straight edge.

Herb

Way a head of you Tonto. The manifold is straight as an arrow. I checked it before installing . There should be marks or indentations on the new gasket from the manifold since I got the darn thing torqued between 17 to 20 pounds. But there isn't any. That's why I'm thinking of doubling up on the gasket. The old studs I just took off the engine are stretched. The studs I took off my extra heads had only one bad one rest look good to go.

John

Gary E Avatar
Gary E Silver Member Gary Edwards
Kernersville, ,N.C., USA   USA
Check to see if the shoulder of the new studs is clearing the manifold and clamping washers.

Gary

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
ArchieMcAllister Avatar
ArchieMcAllister Silver Member Archie McAllister
CLeveland, TN, USA   USA
The shoulder on the intake manifold may be slightly thicker than the shoulder on the exhaust manifold. Intake tightens up with specified torque but the clamping washer is not providing the proper force on the exhaust. This happened on my Sprite. Just had to file down the shoulder on the intake manifold a bit, to match thickness of the exhaust, and my problem was solved. May not be the case here, but probably worth taking a look.

Archie McAllister
1955 MG TF1500
68 Austin Healey Sprite

59mgaguy Avatar
59mgaguy John Terschak
Wakeman, Ohio, USA   USA
1959 MG 14/28 "Jessie"
1974 MG MGB "Oooops"
In reply to # 3627551 by ArchieMcAllister The shoulder on the intake manifold may be slightly thicker than the shoulder on the exhaust manifold. Intake tightens up with specified torque but the clamping washer is not providing the proper force on the exhaust. May not be the case here, but probably worth taking a look.

Thank you Archie. That's one thing I overlooked.

Gary,

Threads go all the way back into the manifold stud washer. So the nut isn't bottoming out. If it did I would have reached my 25 pound torque before braking. Funny thing is just before the stud broke it . I could feel the stud twisting very softly. Like soft metal. Then the break. I checked the other studs and found they too were starting to feel like soft metal. But I was smart enough to stop and go no further.

59mgaguy Avatar
59mgaguy John Terschak
Wakeman, Ohio, USA   USA
1959 MG 14/28 "Jessie"
1974 MG MGB "Oooops"
Guys,

I looked in the mirror this morning and was surprised to see I had a shiner on the left eye. Wife is enjoying it and got a good giggle out of it. Till my doctor's visit for my blown knee. Wife was with me in the office. The doctor was look at me a little strange till I figure out what he was looking at and thinking. That's when I told him. You don't want to upset my wife............................

gapl1953 Avatar
gapl1953 Silver Member Greg Leitza
Springbrook, Wisconsin, USA   USA
1960 MG MGA
John,
I know that soft metal feeling only too well. That is when my heart stops, because I know I'm past the point of no return and additional work or parts is going to be needed.

Greg

1961 MG MGA 1600 MkI Coupe
1971 MG Midget

Be Coming Avatar
Be Coming Kelvin Dodd
So. Calif., USA   USA
John.

A couple of points. First, I hope your injuries recover soon. My wife got me a hard hat because I kept on smacking my head against car underparts, what I need would be more like a bicycle helmet with built in LED light. Hmm. Maybe a market for that.

1. I know the MGA factory workshop manual specifies 25 ft lbs for the manifold studs, but I'll go out on a limb and state that is incorrect. A 5/16"-24 US grade 5 bolt has a maximum recommended torque of 19 ft lbs dry, and this drops to 14 ft lbs if there is any oil or anti seize on the threads. The studs were not re-designed for the MGB application and the specified torque in the MGB workshop manual is 15 ft lbs which is a lot more in line with the material of both the original and currently available replacement studs. Yes, there were some substandard studs on the market a number of years ago, which were more like a Grade 2 soft material, but those were identified pretty quickly and the supplier suitably chastised. They would fail in the 10-12 ft lb region.

2. The intake/exhaust manifold gasket supplied by Moss Motors USA is manufactured from a modern, high tech exhaust gasket material made in the US and the gasket is cut here in the US. Comparing the thickness of the material to any previous versions is futile. The gasket is very accurate and seals very well. It was developed to ensure sealing with supercharged motors and is similar to the latest version of the factory gasket fitted to the catalytic converter engines from 1976 onward. When used with the stock cast iron manifold, I would not recommend stacking the gasket. It should not cause a problem if you do, but it is totally unnecessary.

Kelvin.

3066james Avatar
3066james Jim Cheatham
Amelia, VA, USA   USA
John,
You should not need to use 2 manifold gaskets. Make sure you use the correct brass manifold nuts since they absorb heat better than standard nuts. Use 15 ft lb of torque and you should be good to go.

Jim

59mgaguy Avatar
59mgaguy John Terschak
Wakeman, Ohio, USA   USA
1959 MG 14/28 "Jessie"
1974 MG MGB "Oooops"
Jim,

You peeked. I do have brass nuts...

John

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster