AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

59mgaguy Avatar
59mgaguy John Terschak
Wakeman, Ohio, USA   USA
1930 Ford Model A "Jenny"
1959 MG 14/28 "Jessie"
1974 MG MGB "Oooops"
I'm putting everything back together after fixing a oil leak and replacing the speedo gear on the T-9 five speed. Today started off with a cold garage. Never mind I just put on a few layers of clothes. Then the fun began=====================

It start with putting on the exhaust manifold. I notice when I took the manifold off that the gasket looked like it leaked. After checking the exhaust manifold with a strsaight edge. I checked the thickness of the old gasket with one of my spares I've had for a very long time. My spare was 0.0575 and the one I pulled off (moss) was 0.0454. So I figures either double up on the gasket or just put on my spare and find out later.

I got the exhaust manifold sitting on the studs loose ( held on by the nuts) and went under the car to put on the exhaust pipe bolts. The PO had just used under sized bolts instead of exhaust stud. Holes on the exhaust manifold were elongated. I changed to SS bolts and nuts and had the flNGE clamped down. I must have been on it for an hour trying to get the washers and nuts on. Remember that clamp I had on? Well it came loose. down came the lamp, my wrench and what others I don't remember. But I got it right in my blind eye. Eye smarted and had a gash between both eyes. Oh well I always said if you don't bleed on a project it's not worth doing...... Finally got the pipe hooked up but not tighten down. So I went up to tighten the exhaust manifold and got out my torque wrench. I knew that the torque was 25 foot pounds but I always double check. Got to 15 pounds and started to wonder why it hadn't clicked or tighten up more. Didn't seem right. So I got out another torque wrench of mine and brought it up to 20 pounds. That's when I decide to check my first rorque wrench. It checked out fine and click right on 25 pounds. So back to my first exaust nut. Yup it twisted off as I started to pull the torque wrench. I think the wife knew something went wrong from the words coming out of my mouth........ In fact I think my neighbors around me heard it too.

I couldn't believe that those studs could twist off so easy with hardly any torque. So I check on Gaylord's site and found out that at one time Moss was selling bad studs that would break around 17 pounds. See Barney's site Stripped MANIFIOLD STUDS - FT-005.

So I figure it's time to step back I would step back and call it a day. Then when the wife spotted me in the kitchen where there was more light,,,,,,,,She started to laugh and told me to look in the mirror. One gash and one black eye Isn't life grand???

JUST ISN'T MY FRIGGING DAY!!!!! I'm out of Glenlivet.....

Hope your day went better.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
Joe-Btfsplk.jpg    8 KB
Joe-Btfsplk.jpg

Grubeguy Avatar
Grubeguy Grube Guy
Washington, DC, USA   USA
In reply to # 3627035 by 59mgaguy I'm out of Glenlivet.....

God, I am so so so sorry to hear this. This is a true tragedy in my house too

Twofin David T
Bedworth, Warwickshire, UK   GBR
I hear you there Mgaguy, been there myself 5th gear dog on the back of a Renault 21 turbo gearbox popping off the back of the shaft and burying itself in my eyebrow, much gushing of claret as it hit a minor , still got part of the gear in there to this day, my party peice to hang small magnets from it.
Some days nothing goes right, throw the tools back in the box and visit Mr Bourbon for re-education.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
GhostriderAL Michael Middleton
Al, Huntsville, USA   USA
1970 MG MGA
Still have a scar from my Jeep attacking me a few years ago. Had the wooden cargo holder lifted up to check the spare and had front doors open with a wind blowing. Leaned down at the same time the wind blew the cover down so I basically headbutted the wood edge. Nice scar on forehead from this

59mgaguy Avatar
59mgaguy John Terschak
Wakeman, Ohio, USA   USA
1959 MG 14/28 "Jessie"
1974 MG MGB "Oooops"
The blood,cuts, bruises, and pain is all part of the game. It's being out of Scotch is a tragedy...

Selling defective part is a sin in my book.

copernicus Avatar
copernicus Nick Kopernik
Redding, CT, USA   USA
..........sounds much like the discussion on the Orca between Quint, Brody & Hooper!

59mgaguy Avatar
59mgaguy John Terschak
Wakeman, Ohio, USA   USA
1959 MG 14/28 "Jessie"
1974 MG MGB "Oooops"
Sorry never be aboard ship in my Naval career. (Air DALE aviation machinist mate 2rd class) But I do have scares to compare. Would you like to see where I was shot during WW1? (as I point to my belly button)and where it came out. (old joke told to me by WW1 friend growing up)

gapl1953 Avatar
gapl1953 Silver Member Greg Leitza
Springbrook, Wisconsin, USA   USA
1960 MG MGA
I glad nothing serious was hurt, or is that hurt seriously.

I think that everyone who regularly work on mechanical equipment has had those kind days. I know I've had more than my share of them in the last 55 or so years working on and racing different vehicles. I know that the blood, broken part and disappointments go with the territory. The thing that I now find difficult, is that due to my health I can no longer indulge in alcohol to ease the pain.

Greg

1961 MG MGA 1600 MkI Coupe
1971 MG Midget

purpleGT Avatar
purpleGT Gold Member Bud Osbourne
Pittsburgh, PA., USA   USA
That's the one thing that I don't like about the MGA. Doing almost any task, under the bonnet, can quickly become a real "whore's nightmare". Bs and Midgets offer WONDERFUL access to just about whatever you need to get at. But, my beloved MGA can always be expected to make me work for it............although I've yet to shed significant amounts of blood.

Fortunately, our neighbor is in the orchard business and keeps me supplied with the most exquisite, "hard" cider. He brought over a couple of gallons of the stuff, last night and I'm finding it hard to resist. smiling smiley I'm definitely going to keep some of it in the little refrigerator, in my workshop, for when I'm doing the engine swap!

59mgaguy Avatar
59mgaguy John Terschak
Wakeman, Ohio, USA   USA
1959 MG 14/28 "Jessie"
1974 MG MGB "Oooops"
Like I said if you don't bleed on It. Then it's not worth doing.

Going back onto the garage now and see what I can do to the car. I'll add a few more parts back on the engine and get it ready to try and take the broken stud out. I'm also planning to take all the studs out and replace them. Then there's the hook. Do I put in used studs which are around 30 years and older? Or do I order new studs and hope the vendor has fixed the problem with them breaking at low torque???? (Why even sell junk???)

On the broken stud I plan on putting a nut over the stud and weld the center. This way I can put a wrench on the nut and back the stud out. "Maybe"

John

Redhawk1689 Avatar
Redhawk1689 Gold Member Steven Stockham
Salina, Kansas, USA   USA
1958 MG MGA 1500 "Belle"
That sounds like the best plan John. We're keeping you in our thoughts!

Zur Avatar
Zur Silver Member Dave H.
Amarillo, Texas, USA   USA
From Eastwood...

Removing stuck stuff

Dave

Gary E Avatar
Gary E Silver Member Gary Edwards
Kernersville, ,N.C., USA   USA
Other than that how is your day going..

Gary

59mgaguy Avatar
59mgaguy John Terschak
Wakeman, Ohio, USA   USA
1959 MG 14/28 "Jessie"
1974 MG MGB "Oooops"
Better then yesterday. Took me an hour to get the dang exhaust pipe to manifold bolts off. And less the a minute to extract the broken stud with my secret little hand tool.

Now comes the $10,000 dollar question. Since the one stud snapped off when coming up to 20 pounds. I'm thinking of replacing all the studs with a set off a spare head. From what I read Off Barney's site the new studs are junk and have snapped around 17 pounds. I really don't want to go through this all over again plus the loss of time and costs. That is unless someone tells me different.

Now the oher problem I discovered. My old gasket looked like it was leaking. I had replaced my old gasket with a new one. The darn thing didn't fit right to begin with. (blocked part of the exhaust entree) I could see dark exhaust around the gasket. That's one reason I went with a new gasket. After removing the manifold I noticed there was no indentation on the new gasket. So it lead me to believe it's not being torqued tight enough. But at 18 to 20 pounds there should has been some marks from the exhaust manifold on the gasket.

So maybe I might double up with two gaskets.

John

I think I just might copy this and make a new post on it to see what others think.

Attachments:
mga exhaust gasket 001.JPG    38.7 KB
mga exhaust gasket 001.JPG

mga exhaust gasket 003.JPG    39.8 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
ozieagle Avatar
ozieagle Gold Member Herb Adler
Geelong Victoria, Australia   AUS
1958 Wolseley 1500 "Wooly"
1966 MG MGB "Bl**dy B"
Check the flatness of your exhaust manifold, with a straight edge.

Herb

Questions about prostate cancer? Click here to join the discussion

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster