Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Mitchman2 Avatar
Mitchman2 Mitchell Andrus
Mills River, North Carolina, USA   USA
I was out with the Brit-car club on a 120 mile drive yesterday and early on was assaulted with a really annoying VERY high-pitched squealing rattle-like sound. Mile after mile for nearly the entire first hour of intermittent driving.

At exactly 2,600 rpm regardless of speed, accelerating/decelerating or gear it comes and goes sounds like it's coming from the camshaft, exhaust manifold, intake leak, rocker shaft, tach cable.......

The damned mirror on the dashboard!!!!!!!! The glass rattled in the gold holder for the first time in nearly 3,000 miles - at exactly 2,600 rpm..

Buy a man a plane ticket and he flies for a day,
push a man out of an airplane and he'll fly for the rest of his life.

'30 Model A Ford
'48 MGTC
'58 MGA
'58 MGA

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Gary E Avatar
Gary E Silver Member Gary Edwards
Kernersville, ,N.C., USA   USA
It helps to put o-rings or Thackeray washers under the mounting screws.

I also had a similar problem in a MGBGT and it turned out to be a garage remote that I screwed to the top of the rear view mirror.

Gary

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-11-12 09:25 PM by Gary E.

gapl1953 Avatar
gapl1953 Silver Member Greg Leitza
Springbrook, Wisconsin, USA   USA
1960 MG MGA
That's funny, but at least you figured it out. Reminds me of my trip home after buying my Coupe sight unseen. A 650 mile trip home with an unproven British sports car you imagine all kinds of strange noises. When I was on the north side of Lake Michigan, which i it's self is fairly desolate. I keep this high pitch intermittent noise but couldn't place my finger as to where it was coming from. Well after a few miles of worrying my head off about a bearing seizing I realized what it was. It was my cell phone under a pile of stuff on the passenger seat, my wife was calling to see how it was going. After I hung up I had a good laugh and didn't worry as much on the rest of the trip. Of course that was after I heard a loud thump on the underside of the car and didn't realize that the pin for the clutch slave cylinder removed itself. I found out pulling into the motel parking lot. but that's another story.

Greg

1961 MG MGA 1600 MkI Coupe
1971 MG Midget

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
catlotion Avatar
catlotion Toby M
Leeds, West Yorkshire, UK   GBR
ah - maybe that's what mine is...

I get a metallic tinkling sort of sound at certain revs in the interior. At first I thought it was a valve in my radio but removed that. Then I thought it was the split pin in the clutch slave, then fire-extinguisher pin but no...

Little Red Rooster Avatar
Little Red Rooster Peter Hay
Barnsley, South Yorkshire, UK   GBR
1975 MG MGB
I had an annoying noise at particular revs which I eventually traced to loosened rivets on the bracket on top of the windscreen into which the soft top locates. Cured with a small drop of araldite.

ch47insp George B
Birmingham, Alabama, USA   USA
I had the same symptoms with my MGA. It drove me crazy trying to find it. Rev the engine up to about 1800 rpm's and it would buzz. Raise the bonnet to look for the source and the buzz would go away. Finally found that the bonnet mechanism return spring in the front was the problem. I placed a sleeve of thin rubber tubing around it and have not had the buzz since.

Zur Avatar
Zur Silver Member Dave H.
Amarillo, Texas, USA   USA
Hey Gary...what are 'Thackeray washers?'

"It helps to put o-rings or Thackeray washers under the mounting screws."

Dave

jonathan in mass jonathan eagle
weston, ma, USA   USA
I guess if one wants to be real sure, they'll use a thackery washer and araldite.
Two new words I just learned today.
Jonathan

mgaex189 Avatar
mgaex189 Platinum Member Giovanni Delicio
Obrigheim, Rheinpfalz, Germany   DEU
1955 MG MGA 1500 "C2"
1955 MG MGA 1500
1955 MG MGA 1500 "C1"
1960 MG MGA 1600 Coupe    & more
what are 'Thackeray washers?

It's also called "spring-washer".

Gio

Attachments:
images[6].jpg    6.6 KB
images[6].jpg

Gary E Avatar
Twofin David T
Bedworth, Warwickshire, UK   GBR
I used to get same screeching sound whenever I went out in the car but driving with gusto, easily solved the problem though, I now leave the missus at home .

Mitchman2 Avatar
Mitchman2 Mitchell Andrus
Mills River, North Carolina, USA   USA
When I first put this car on the road, the driver's side trunk (boot) hinge pin rattled. Damned aggravating.

Buy a man a plane ticket and he flies for a day,
push a man out of an airplane and he'll fly for the rest of his life.

'30 Model A Ford
'48 MGTC
'58 MGA
'58 MGA

Gary E Avatar
Really..

Gary

Attachments:
d0a804895a1c64e254e9a143c2a4d3a7--new-yorker-cartoons-my-favourite.jpg    74.8 KB
d0a804895a1c64e254e9a143c2a4d3a7--new-yorker-cartoons-my-favourite.jpg

JimNH Avatar
JimNH Jim Mail
Nashua, New Hampshire, USA   USA
1957 MG MGA "Camilla (the Other Woman)"
I cut a 1/8" piece of cork gasket material and put it underneath the mirror mount where it is sandwiched between the mount and the dashboard scuttle.

JIM

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster