AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

gapl1953 Avatar
gapl1953 Silver Member Greg Leitza
Springbrook, Wisconsin, USA   USA
1960 MG MGA
After retirement I had a string of nice high end sports cars. The last one I owned before getting smart and buying my first MG was a Porsche 911. The 911 was my favorite out of all of them but it still didn't make me smile like I do when driving an MG, and especially my MGA Coupe.

Greg

1961 MG MGA 1600 MkI Coupe
1971 MG Midget

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Zur Avatar
Zur Silver Member Dave H.
Amarillo, Texas, USA   USA
I know what you mean Greg, but I get jazzed in a roadster.
So much so that my entire top has been on the top shelf (no pun intended) in the shop for 25 years!

Dave

bills Avatar
bills Bill Spohn
W. Vancouver, , BC, Canada   CAN
The basic shape of the MGA is just right and I wouldn't change any of it, although there are probably alternate designs for the grille and opening that would be equally pleasing, and certainly each of the three different tail light treatments has its proponents.

The coupe is a bit special - the bending of the upper cabin into the roadster body, and some really nice little design details like the external door handles are brilliant. I like both!

Bill Spohn www.rhodo.citymax.com/carstuff.html
Current: 1958 MGA Twincam (race car (170 bhp)),1962 MGA Deluxe Coupe (98 bhp)
1957 Jamaican MGA (200 bhp)1965 1971 Jensen Interceptor (350 bhp)
2009 Pontiac Solstice GXP Coupe (350 bhp)
2007 BMW Z4M coupe (340 bhp)
Recent: 1969 MGC roadster (175 bhp),Jensen CV8 (375 bhp),
1969 Lamborghini Islero S (350 bhp), 1988 Fiero GT turbo (300 bhp)
North Vancouver BC

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Blueosprey90 Avatar
Blueosprey90 Jeff Sienkiewicz
New Milford, CT, USA   USA
"Invisible" to the opposite sex?

Certainly not in a sporty British two-seater. Perfect for offering the single, stranded lass a lift without pesky distractions from behind.

tmg.esq Avatar
tmg.esq Tom G
Vero Beach, Fl, USA   USA
1954 MG TF
1958 MG MGA
1958 MG MGA 1500
I don't think they were better than a lot of other Brit cars of the time. Different, I don't know either. That said, "something" about MGs, and MGAs in particular (thought love all MGs for some reason), drew me in and got in my blood, and I just cannot seem to let go. Probably never will.

I am 60 years old now. Seemingly, MGs have been in my blood since I recall seeing the first one that registered with me in 1971 (sister's boyfriend's brand new white wire wheel 1971 B with tan interior), and after having gone through a lot of cars in the last 43 years that I consider "nice" (911, Z3, Z4 etc.,) I just cannot let go of MGs.

First car - at 17 years old (1975) - was a 1958 A that I bought with a friend for $45 each. Towed it home behind my mom's 1967 Malibu. I bought out my friend. Never got it on on the road - didn't have the money then (considering I was making at best $1.65 an hour and the parts catalog I had (Moss?} listed prices that were way out of reach, not to mention the fact that I could never have afforded a mechanic (or tools for that matter)), and college got in the way. I mostly took it apart, and then sold it for $110 (that was a time when a $20 profit was a big deal to me!). But I sure do remember looking at to me what were the wonderful lines of that car. The front fenders, doors and rear fenders (sitting on my parent's basement floor), were just so simply elegant. ("Elegant" is not a word I considered/used back then, but now that I look back, that is what it was I guess.)

Years later and after owning a 1966 B from 1976 to 1977 and 1967 MGB GT from 1977 to 1982 (which I really liked), in 1983 I bought a pretty nice 1960 A for $2700, and did a low budget (e.g., rivets and the like) restoration on it. Again, no real money to do it right, and this time grad school got in the way. Sold it in 1989.

Then, in 2013, I finally had a little bit of money to do a good restoration. Did it myself - body off, every nut and bolt - and it really brought me full circle to a great place. The A is now done, and sits in my garage. Probably will never sell it.

So, regardless of better or different, there is something that hooked me in to MGs, kind of like my kids, there seems to be no really rational reason why I love them so much, but I do and always will.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-11-13 08:49 PM by tmg.esq.

copernicus Avatar
copernicus Nick Kopernik
Redding, CT, USA   USA
They are different, as how many other two-seat sports cars are out there that qualified as police vehicles?

Attachments:
a.jpg    53.5 KB
a.jpg

Gary E Avatar
Gary E Silver Member Gary Edwards
Kernersville, ,N.C., USA   USA
a few..

Gary

Attachments:
9c37e40772723854ce3a204b9f094d7f.jpg    27 KB
9c37e40772723854ce3a204b9f094d7f.jpg

51b578849b99130bd76244b70eef654c.jpg    35.7 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
images.jpg    11.4 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
Zur Avatar
Zur Silver Member Dave H.
Amarillo, Texas, USA   USA

Dave

copernicus Avatar
copernicus Nick Kopernik
Redding, CT, USA   USA
Gotta love the British! Can't imagine being chased down by any of these police "cruisers" and it must have been tight in there, especially after the scofflaws were apprehended!

bills Avatar
bills Bill Spohn
W. Vancouver, , BC, Canada   CAN
Think they'd stick a police sign on just about anything!

Bill Spohn www.rhodo.citymax.com/carstuff.html
Current: 1958 MGA Twincam (race car (170 bhp)),1962 MGA Deluxe Coupe (98 bhp)
1957 Jamaican MGA (200 bhp)1965 1971 Jensen Interceptor (350 bhp)
2009 Pontiac Solstice GXP Coupe (350 bhp)
2007 BMW Z4M coupe (340 bhp)
Recent: 1969 MGC roadster (175 bhp),Jensen CV8 (375 bhp),
1969 Lamborghini Islero S (350 bhp), 1988 Fiero GT turbo (300 bhp)
North Vancouver BC

MGAdavid Avatar
MGAdavid David Werblow
Portland, Connecticut, USA   USA
1954 MG TF
1959 MG MGA
The "Sopwith Camel" MGs are the T-types, the MGA is more of the "Spitfire" experience.

Gary E Avatar
Gary E Silver Member Gary Edwards
Kernersville, ,N.C., USA   USA
Oh please don't let me get a ticket from a Triumph.........................

Gary

Rob Z Avatar
Rob Z Silver Member Rob Zucca
Camarillo, CA, USA   USA
1960 MG MGA
Or a Metropolitan......cool smiley

In reply to # 3627986 by Gary E Oh please don't let me get a ticket from a Triumph.........................

"Time flies like an arrow......Fruit flies like a banana"

wyatt Avatar
wyatt Silver Member Wyatt W
penguin point, drift ice, Antarctica   ATA
or a KGB ZIL

In reply to # 3628278 by Rob Z Or a Metropolitan......cool smiley

In reply to # 3627986 by Gary E Oh please don't let me get a ticket from a Triumph.........................

peter14222 Avatar
peter14222 Peter Gilvarry
Buffalo, NY, USA   USA
I bet your 67 B gets to pass gas stations from time to time.

My son has some expensive pickup in Australia with a blue printed Ford 351, gets 2 tires per mile.....

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster