This topic is about my 1957 MG MGA
Dburdick Avatar
Dburdick Silver Member Douglas Burdick
Winnsboro, SOUTH CAROLINA, USA   USA
1957 MG MGA "Mary"
1969 MG MGB "Doubtfire"
1969 MG MGB "Mrs Doubtfire"
1978 MG MGB    & more
I have owned a variety of reasonably priced roadsters over the years. I currently have a '79 Fiat spider, our beloved '57 MGA, and my '00 BMW z3. Of the three cars, the seat of one's pants might well conclude that the BMW is by far the better of the three. It's easily the fastest, in every measure of the term, handles superbly, and even has a decent ride. Looks great too! My Fiat '79 spider, a car I lovingly restored over a period of about four years, is quicker off the line than my MGA, has quicker steering, even though it's saddled with a worm and roller steering box rather than proper rack and pinion like the MGA, brakes better and God knows the top goes up and down far quicker and easier! Also, for reasons only the British understand, the doors on MGA's and MGB's for that matter, aren't long enough for me to get into, or out of the car in anything like a graceful fashion. So of the three, on any given day, which one am I most likely to take for a fun drive down my favorite twisty, back country road? The BMW does everything so well, it actually seems to take the fun out of it. Any curve, any fast straight, all too easy in the zed 3. The Fiat, on the other hand, makes you work for it. It actually does a fair job of keeping up with the bimmer. I rebuilt the engine, a 2lt, with high compression pistons,and a Weber two barrel with mechanical secondary, and beefed up the suspension with stiffer springs and urethane bushings. Still, she's an old girl from a different time, and simply can't quite equal the Z in overall performance. Our beloved MGA, which I have not yet restored, rides on rubber bushings so old it will take carbon dating to determine their age. The brakes are still spongy, even after changing every part of the brake system except the hard pipes, so I will have to fiddle with adjustments on the rear drums, the master cylinder pushrod, and God knows what else. The original 1500 engine starts with a single, quick turn from the ancient inertia starter, makes good oil pressure, but blows prodigious amounts of oil out the tappet vent, whereupon it instantly finds it's way to the exhaust and vaporizes, filling the cockpit with the smell of burning Castrol. Entering a fast sweeper, I crank the wood rimmed Moto-Lita over with the same sense of urgency as the helmsman on the Titanic, hoping against hope for a favorable outcome. And I love it. Every curve conquered feels like I actually accomplished something heroic. Every gear change, especially downshifts, reminds me that this is a car from another era. A time when any given car's performance was more a function of the driver's capabilities than the car's. She will make you a better driver, you will work for every smile, but you won't work too hard. The view through that narrow windshield, those long, lovely arched fenders stretching out to the horizon, and an interior that looks like it was plucked out of a Sopwith Camel, are sights worth whatever the price of admission happens to be. I must be getting very old indeed. In a world full of "superior" sportscars, I'll take my Sopwith Camel over a F-22 any day.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Mitchman2 Avatar
Mitchman2 Mitchell Andrus
Mills River, North Carolina, USA   USA
I just watched Fantomworks. They restored a '67 427 'Vette with factory side pipes. A dream car. I've owned a '64 E-Type roadster. Both very nice desirable cars. I could go out and pick up one of each. What's in my garage? 2 restored MGAs and a TC and a Model A Ford waiting their turns.

Yes, there are other cars, but ya gotta feed the heart.

Buy a man a plane ticket and he flies for a day,
push a man out of an airplane and he'll fly for the rest of his life.

'30 Model A Ford
'48 MGTC
'58 MGA
'58 MGA

Grubeguy Avatar
Grubeguy Grube Guy
Washington, DC, USA   USA
I sold my red '03 Z4 and bought my MGA soon thereafter, drive a '16 Z4 and grew up on Fiats (X19, 124). The Z4 feels like I'm driving a spaceship, and the Fiats were bone jarring (but fun for a 16 yr old kid like me). I suspect my MG will be a pleasure and a blast to drive smiling smiley

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
dohc281 Avatar
dohc281 Ira Eckstein
Laurel Springs, New Jersey, USA   USA
My son has a 2010 Shelby GT 500 with 575 at the rear wheels and cannot understand why I prefer my ‘67 B over it. The B actually rides better than the Shelby. I just grin.

If you hit your pony over the nose at the outset of your acquaintance, he may not love you, but he will take a deep interest in your movements ever afterwards.

Rudyard Kipling

stagepony Avatar
stagepony Silver Member Jinno Louie
Dunedin, Florida, USA   USA
1960 MG MGA "PFC"
1970 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner "Corporal Lane"
1972 Volvo P1800 "Cadet"
2017 Mazda MX-5 "Tooth Fairy"
Hi Douglas,

As with you, I have had many 'car loves' in my lifetime; Volvo Amazon, 77 Celica GT, 62 MGA, 69 Beetle, 56 Ford Tudor, 57 Ford Fairlane, to name some. Each car was my only ride at the time so it was my only 'car love'. I loved my car because it took me wherever I wanted to go. In my small world, I was able to visit far reaches of the town I lived in, pick up my date on a Saturday night, sit inside my car when there was no home to go back to. The car was my sanctuary, somewhere to listen freely to music, a place to kiss a date, to hang with my buds. The car was my identity. Like a tattoo, it exclaimed who I was when I couldn't say it for myself. I think of Captain Kirk and the USS Enterprise, the car to me was a starship that catapulted to thrills and adventures, each weekend a new episode.

Today, I own 4 vehicles. Some are newer, some run faster and handle better than the others. I have changed with the times. But the older cars have lagged behind. Thru personal change the human personality evolves but old cars remain the same. Perhaps this is why I upgraded my fleet with newer vehicles to keep pace with the changing times. At some point, I will whittle down the fleet. As with upgrading a wardrobe to meet changing times, I'll want to visit new episodes with a vehicle that holds it's own in freeway traffic.

I'm reminded of a Bee Gees tune, Love you Inside & Out, " -Too many lovers in one lifetime, Ain't good for me -". I've owned many cars and loved most of them until I parted ways with them. I want to get it down to a maybe just one and see where it goes.

Grubeguy Avatar
Grubeguy Grube Guy
Washington, DC, USA   USA
My first car was a '68 Saab 96. 3 cylinders, 2 stroke engine, I added a quart of outboard oil to the gas for every tank. I LOVED that car, if nothing more than for the masses of black smoke it belched at 10 miles per hour in 4th gear smiling smiley) I sold that venerable old beast for an MGB, of all things. I sold the MGjust before I joined the Navy (stupid stupid stupid stupid).

The car I had no love for was an 85 Camaro. It wasn't a POS, but Jesus, what an uninspiring car. It was like driving a shiny toaster with ground effects.

The "JESUS, look at the legs on HER" car that I've never owned is a Volvo p1800, early year with the bull horn bumpers. I saw a resto mod done on one of those that involved a Chevy small block and exterior restile, and it made me weep in thanks for being a car guy.

Aaaaaaaand then there's my Fiat 850. It's so ... soooooooooo ... Fiatish. I'm going to sell it, just don't know when.

jonathan in mass jonathan eagle
weston, ma, USA   USA
I don't know this.
I drove a Porsche 911 that pushed me back in the seat. I need to get one of those too.
Jonathan

Stevenp3762 Avatar
Stevenp3762 Steven Pignataro
OAKLAND PARK, FLORIDA, USA   USA
True.....

Every saint has a past..... every sinner a future.

Basil Adams Avatar
About 12 miles from Sears Point, CA, USA   USA
One doesn't have to choose. Pick the car out of the stable that suits your mood :-)

Basil C. Adams
1956 MGA Coupe (Show Car)
1957 MGA Roadster (Driver)
1958 MGA Coupe (Racecar)
1959 MGA Coupe (unrestored)
1960 MGA Coupe (unrestored)
1960 MGA Roadster (Driver)
MKIII Elva Courier (E1056)
1967 427 Cobra
1972 Alfa Romeo Montreal
A coupla late MGBs
1960 Austin Healy BN7
More Cars than Brains

Rick Fawthrop Avatar
Rick Fawthrop Gold Member Richard Fawthrop
Seattle, WA, USA   USA
My MG is on an island. The top speed is 50 mph.
If I drive the MG everyone is friendly.
My friend and CPA drives a Porsche GT3. Most people think that he is “ kinda of a dick”.
Since I am new there I want everyone to like me.

wyatt Avatar
wyatt Silver Member Wyatt W
penguin point, drift ice, Antarctica   ATA
...my old 58 TR3 rev'd to the redline no complaints and was as fun to drive as an old wooden roller coaster and with a sound that made Harley guys take notice........loved that beastsmoking smiley

Redhawk1689 Avatar
Redhawk1689 Gold Member Steven Stockham
Salina, Kansas, USA   USA
1958 MG MGA 1500 "Belle"
I hear of that "Sopwith Camel" and I can't help but think of that ubiquitous amalgamation of quirky romanticism all wrapped up in nostalgic sentimentality, none other than that automotive anachronism, Wing Commander Nigel Shiftright!!,

Attachments:
Nigel Shiftright.jpg    18.8 KB
Nigel Shiftright.jpg

dohc281 Avatar
dohc281 Ira Eckstein
Laurel Springs, New Jersey, USA   USA
I relate a Sopwith Camel to Snoopy.

If you hit your pony over the nose at the outset of your acquaintance, he may not love you, but he will take a deep interest in your movements ever afterwards.

Rudyard Kipling

RJBrown Avatar
RJBrown Randy Brown
Queen Creek, Arizona, USA   USA
I bought my wife a 2009 Infiniti G37convertible. It’s fun it’s fast it’s civilized and it blows cold air through the seat bottoms.
It was bought to be a toy. It only has 30,000 miles on it. Someday it will be long gone and the MGA will still be around.
Today is my youngest son’s 18th birthday.
On my 18th I bought my first A it was only 17 years old then.
I sold my first one to get married but it’s been replaced, I have it’s twin, another 58 coupe.

bills Avatar
bills Bill Spohn
W. Vancouver, , BC, Canada   CAN
In reply to # 3626049 by wyatt ...my old 58 TR3 rev'd to the redline no complaints and was as fun to drive as an old wooden roller coaster and with a sound that made Harley guys take notice........loved that beastsmoking smiley

Agree, but bear in mind that revving to 5,000 impresses no one but owners of Austin Healey 100s (red line = 4,000) devil smiley

I've had a lot of fun with TR-3s as well!

Bill Spohn www.rhodo.citymax.com/carstuff.html
Current: 1958 MGA Twincam (race car (170 bhp)),1962 MGA Deluxe Coupe (98 bhp)
1957 Jamaican MGA (200 bhp)1965 1971 Jensen Interceptor (350 bhp)
2009 Pontiac Solstice GXP Coupe (350 bhp)
2007 BMW Z4M coupe (340 bhp)
Recent: 1969 MGC roadster (175 bhp),Jensen CV8 (375 bhp),
1969 Lamborghini Islero S (350 bhp), 1988 Fiero GT turbo (300 bhp)
North Vancouver BC

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster