AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Engine timing
  This topic is about my 1960 MG MGA 1600
Robert4619 Avatar
Robert4619 Robert Garnett
Saint John, N B, Canada   CAN
I did a compression check on my MGA and didn't notice that the PO had loosened the distributor clamp.Would this cranking of the engine change the timing?Thanks Bob

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
fast-MG.com Avatar
fast-MG.com Gold Member Dave Headley
Cortez, 4 corners, Colorado, USA   USA
Only way to know is to check it.smoking smiley

Member Services:
Dave Headley, dba FAB-TEK offers full service race car parts and preperation for MGB & MGA race cars, SCCA and Vintage. Dave is a mechanical engineer and has raced MGBs since 1963.
GILMGA Avatar
GILMGA Silver Member Gil Dupre
CHATTANOOGA, TENNESSEE, USA   USA
1962 MG MGA
1974 MG MGB GT
Do a static timing and then clamp it down

Gil

bikermga Avatar
bikermga Peter Tilbury
Surrey, BC, Canada   CAN
Robert,

Static timing should be somewhere between 7 and 10 degrees BTDC. But better is to check it at 2500 rpm approx when it should be 32 degrees BTDC.

Peter.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
bonzmobile Avatar
bonzmobile Silver Member Logan Aschom
IL, Naperville, USA   USA
1960 MG MGA "The 'A"
1973 MG MGB "The 'B"
[url=]Static Timing With A Twist[/url]

1973 'B -Overbored to 1950cc, ARP, Big valve Flowspeed head, VP12 cam, Stainless header & Monza exhaust, HS6 carbs w/Hap's airhorns, Schlemmerized dizzy, O/D, Lightened flywheel, Balanced internals, lowered, and a snotty little monster to drive,

1960 'A -still rough and hibernating

Robert4619 Avatar
Robert4619 Robert Garnett
Saint John, N B, Canada   CAN
Thanks everyone.Presently it doesn't run.Got a new fuel pump and when I hook it up I will try to start.If it doesn't I will do static timing and try again.Bob

bobs77vet Avatar
bobs77vet bob K.
northern Va, Va, USA   USA
yes it would just through normal rotation and wiggling of things ....i would start with making sure the points are not grounded. this is a really common problem and it was what grounded the car i bought for 35 years.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster