MGA sold for 80,000 on Ebay . Highest ever sold anywhere

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

santarosamgb Harry .
california, USA   USA
go check out ebay item 272785343836 and you will see it yourselves. I wonder if this is a real deal . IS there anyone on the forum knows about this car?

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Redhawk1689 Avatar
Redhawk1689 Gold Member Steven Stockham
Salina, Kansas, USA   USA
1958 MG MGA 1500 "Belle"
$80k is definitely high for an MGA but is not the highest ever recorded! Twin Cams are flirting with that price and have been for some time plus there have been certain "special" MGAs that have gone for higher (of course, that might have been at auction.) Can you link to the sale? I can't seem to find it by using the number provided.

darnoc31 sandy sanders
hudson, florida, USA   USA
I went to the EBAY site and the auction ended 8/7/2017. Asking price was $80.000.00 but no indication of an offer or sale.
Takes GONADS to ask $80,000.00.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Redhawk1689 Avatar
1958 MG MGA 1500 "Belle"
What kind of MGA was it?

10kpharo Avatar
10kpharo Gold Member Julian L
Windsor Lodge, West Coast of New York, USA   USA
I heard, somewhere, that about 50% of vehicle sales on Ebay are never consummated.

"We are healthy only to the extent that our ideas are humane" - Kurt Vonnegut, Jr.

Interested in Austin cars? Check out my Facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/orphanaustincars/

Gary E Avatar
Gary E Silver Member Gary Edwards
Kernersville, ,N.C., USA   USA
copernicus Avatar
copernicus Nick Kopernik
Redding, CT, USA   USA
It appears that seller took less than $80k, but no way to know how much less. Nice car however.

Blueosprey90 Avatar
Blueosprey90 Jeff Sienkiewicz
New Milford, CT, USA   USA
Nick, isn't that the car that you volunteered to look at for the buyer this weekend? The add indicates that it is located in Stamford, CT.

Before you jumped in, I was going to volunteer to look at it. I'm glad you beat me to the punch. I don't want to look at any car where the owner thinks it's worth $80,000. I'm more of a $17,000 guy.

Bring Teflon armor and your leather helmet. smileys with beer

Redhawk1689 Avatar
1958 MG MGA 1500 "Belle"
That car is a beauty, no doubt. Probably worth at least $40K but 80K?? Sorry, that's Austin Healey country! Our little push-rod steeds, while exceptional, are not considered quite that collectible yet!

santarosamgb Harry .
california, USA   USA
Here is the link to the $80,000 MGA. Ebay posted that it was SOLD. It was a MGA Mark 2 sold for 80,000 !!!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1962-MG-MGA-/272785343836?hash=item3f8346055c:g:zS0AAOSwaEhZHbm~&vxp=mtr

74GTBob Avatar
74GTBob Bob Riebli
Ephrata, Washington, USA   USA
1970 MG MGB GT
1973 MG MGB
1974 MG MGB GT
NO, it did not sell for $80,000. That was the BUY IT NOW PRICE. It did not sell for that. Some one made an offer on it, but no way of knowing what the selling price was. Be interesting to know if it actually sold.

Mitchman2 Avatar
Mitchman2 Mitchell Andrus
Mills River, North Carolina, USA   USA
I have pictures of mine looking that nice too.

Buy a man a plane ticket and he flies for a day,
push a man out of an airplane and he'll fly for the rest of his life.

'30 Model A Ford
'48 MGTC
'58 MGA
'58 MGA

woodstock1 jim jensen
cleveland, USA   USA
In reply to # 3570405 by 74GTBob NO, it did not sell for $80,000. That was the BUY IT NOW PRICE. It did not sell for that. Some one made an offer on it, but no way of knowing what the selling price was. Be interesting to know if it actually sold.---------------------------------------------------------------------please note- that if a seller takes an offer- then ebay lists it as best offer accepted.............anyway- the ad is probably the old antique dealers' trick.........list an item for an ungodly amount-----and pretend it is sold with a shill bid........enough of these ads, and the price of A's will go up.......'hey- that one sold for 80 grand.....mine should be worth 30 grand....'...........the very fact that it was restored with 10 ugly coats of clear...well- the price just ain't real............it is an eastern car----with a jive cat owner.......

Vagrouser Bill S
Panhandle, TX, USA   USA
Hi all,

Copernicus, who kindly offered to look at this car for me, alerted me to this thread.

I placed an offer on the car which was accepted by the seller and a deposit placed. He welcomes a PPI before I send funds and barring any unforeseen issues, I expect to close our deal in the next day or two. I won't share what our agreed upon price is, but while well over market, it was not 80k. Based on the photodocumentation of the restoration I think it would cost 80k to replicate the work and it is unlikely that I'll ever come across another MGA done to as high a standard. This is the personal car of a gentleman who makes his living doing A to Z restorations on vintage Aston Martins, Ferraris and other exotics. As he said you'll never see another one done to this level as the finished car simply doesn't command the price to justify the restoration costs. This appeals immensely to my inner perfectionist and I don't think I've overpaid only bought a bit too soon! I will admit that I have the option on a twin cam but for long term ownership and living with the car, the plain old A makes more sense for me.

I am eating some amount of crow as I had indicated in my first post on this forum that I was not interested in the Mk II for styling reasons, preferring instead the cleaner to me 1500 and wire wheel look. I have to admit the black over red color ways of this car and its absolute top condition swayed me. Points about the bigger engine and disc brakes are also noted.

Anyway, I'll be curious to see what Copernicus's impression of the car is and if it stands up to the billing from the seller. I want to thank everyone on here for their insight and leads on cars for sale. I especially want to thank Copernicus for making the trip to eyeball this for me.

Bill

copernicus Avatar
copernicus Nick Kopernik
Redding, CT, USA   USA
In reply to # 3570344 by Blueosprey90 Nick, isn't that the car that you volunteered to look at for the buyer this weekend? The add indicates that it is located in Stamford, CT.

Before you jumped in, I was going to volunteer to look at it. I'm glad you beat me to the punch. I don't want to look at any car where the owner thinks it's worth $80,000. I'm more of a $17,000 guy.

Bring Teflon armor and your leather helmet. smileys with beer

Jeff, didn't know it at the time, but this is the car that I will be taking a look at in a day or two. The shop that did the work is one of the best in the business; looking forward to the sights, sounds & smells of this high-end resto shop. This trip may also motivate me to redo my 38+year old paint job on my A, but then I've been saying that for about 30 years now!

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster