AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

bikermga Avatar
bikermga Peter Tilbury
Surrey, BC, Canada   CAN
Steve S,

You are so wrong. Just Google "Modern motor oil is killing our cars, by Keith Ansell", and then get back to us!

Rusty,

Get the OReillys near you to order some in for you.

Peter.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Steve S Avatar
On The Road, Lost in So Cal, USA   USA
Peter, with due respect, I'm afraid you've either misunderstood my post or have been misinformed. It's easy to find lubricants today that exceed the protection of the oil your MGA came with originally. Today's oils are far, far superior than what was available in the 1950's. That was the point I was attempting to make.

The well circulated article that you quote was written over a decade ago during the ZDDP reduction scare - a time when zinc was being progressively reduced in order to preserve catalytic converters in modern cars (among other reasons). While still applicable to a certain degree, the scare is long since over. There are many, many articles from that time period about the zddp issue we all faced.

oleanderjoe Avatar
oleanderjoe Silver Member Joseph Baba
Fresno, Ca, USA   USA
Another One: If you own a shop in CA, and sell Batteries, the "Franchise Tax Board" says that you must charge (1) One extra dollar, (Recycle Fee), keep tract of it on a separate ledger and file a separate "Sales Tax Return"
"Shouting Now" WHAT????? / REALLY ??????

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
bikermga Avatar
bikermga Peter Tilbury
Surrey, BC, Canada   CAN
Steve S,

You wrote "you should not be using old formulation oils", referring to Valvoline VR1. This statement is incorrect. Also, I disagree with you that the "problem (or scare as you call it)" is long since over. The engines have not changed, and the article by Keith Ansell is still relevant.

You can use "modern" oils if you wish, but these have no ZDDP in them. Valvoline VR1 is a modern oil, and is the best for our engines, just not suitable for cars with cats fitted. (Or other makes with high ZDDP.)

I did not misunderstand your post, and I do not think I am misinformed.

All the best.

Peter.

Steve S Avatar
On The Road, Lost in So Cal, USA   USA
In reply to # 3568735 by bikermga You wrote "you should not be using old formulation oils", referring to Valvoline VR1.
No, I did not. I didn't mean to upset you and certainly don't mean to further but you definitely misunderstood my post. I was not referring to VR-1 when I said "old formulations". The conversation was about older oils being phased out. VR-1 does not fall into that category, it is a modern oil, still sold today in all markets. I use it in five of my cars. Perhaps I could have clarified the post for you better.

In reply to # 3568735 by bikermga I disagree with you that the "problem (or scare as you call it)" is long since over. The engines have not changed, and the article by Keith Ansell is still relevant.
Yes, I agree it's still relevant and said so above. The "scare" I refer to was a period of time when ZDDP was being reduced and everyone was freaking out, thinking there would be no more oil available for our cars. That scare is definitely over, at least for most people. There are multiple oils on the market today with adequate levels of ZDDP, as well as additives for those who feel they are beneficial.

In reply to # 3568735 by bikermga You can use "modern" oils if you wish, but these have no ZDDP in them.
Yes, modern oils DO have ZDDP in them. Most have simply reduced the amount to a level below what most people feel is appropriate for flat tappet engines. Generally speaking that's 1200-1400 ppm. There are no motor oils that I'm aware of that have no ZDDP in them.

I don't mean to be argumentative but with due respect, I think you're splitting hairs and missing the intent of my posts. If you're using VR-1 then you and I are using the same oil in our MGAs.

gapl1953 Avatar
gapl1953 Silver Member Greg Leitza
Springbrook, Wisconsin, USA   USA
1960 MG MGA
Wait, let me make some popcorn! grinning smiley

Greg

1961 MG MGA 1600 MkI Coupe
1971 MG Midget

Rob Z Avatar
Rob Z Silver Member Rob Zucca
Camarillo, CA, USA   USA
1960 MG MGA
Can you get canola oil in Wisconsin?cool smiley

In reply to # 3569230 by gapl1953 Wait, let me make some popcorn! grinning smiley

"Time flies like an arrow......Fruit flies like a banana"

gapl1953 Avatar
gapl1953 Silver Member Greg Leitza
Springbrook, Wisconsin, USA   USA
1960 MG MGA
In reply to # 3569232 by Rob Z Can you get canola oil in Wisconsin?cool smiley

In reply to # 3569230 by gapl1953 Wait, let me make some popcorn! grinning smiley

I don't know, we use lard for everything.

Greg

1961 MG MGA 1600 MkI Coupe
1971 MG Midget

RustyR Avatar
RustyR Russell Smith
Corning, California, USA   USA
I decided to check out our local Auto Zone, and O'Reilly stores.................and voila, there's the Valvoline VR-1 20W-50 oil. Both stores had it even though they both {as well as NAPA} told me NO over the phone. Go figure. I bought all that both stores had, just in case the idiots in Sacramento decide it's too dangerous for us mortals to purchase. Thank you for all your advice.

three5bangers Avatar
three5bangers Steve M
Valhalla, NY, USA   USA
As a general rule I won't buy any liquids unless they are illegal for sale in CA. If it's banned in CA it's got to be good. Companies like Eastwood should have a checkbox on their search machine to assist in bringing up items that are banned in CA (maybe they have it). NY is not far behind the CA clowns.

RustyR Avatar
RustyR Russell Smith
Corning, California, USA   USA
Steve M, I ran into a similar problem when I went looking for Berryman's Chem Dip # 9. They had some watered down, Calif. approved version called, if I remember correctly, # 12 but it didn't have nearly the kick that the good old smelly, nasty # 9 has. Had an out of state friend send me some. What a hassle.

bobs77vet Avatar
bobs77vet bob K.
northern Va, Va, USA   USA
while we are lamenting lost chemicals.....i use to be able to get VARSOL out of a pump at the gas station in Va.....no more, so now i use kerosene.....

Bob Agar Avatar
Bob Agar Robert Agar
Green Valley, AZ, USA   USA
1953 MG TD "Myrtle Anne"
1974 MG MGB "The Mistress"
Once packed a Christmas gift (non-petroleum item) in a motor oil carton and had it refused at the Post Office 'cause it said motor oil on the box. ????????

1974.5 MBG Tourer with Weber 32/36 mod and AC.
1957 MGA 1500 Coupe - Stock and original except paint
1953 MG TD - Original car with no mods

three5bangers Avatar
three5bangers Steve M
Valhalla, NY, USA   USA
I noticed paint fails on the underside of cars (suspension components & sheet metal) made after around 1998. I suspect that California passed a law requiring the underside of cars be painted with something biodegradable - like grape juice. Rather than have 49 state cars that have real paint , they just paint them all with grapefruit juice. CA has the power to ruin the country. If they pass a law it effects the entire USA, maybe the world. My 80s cars have more paint on the underside and less rust than my son's 2008.

wyatt Avatar
wyatt Silver Member Wyatt W
penguin point, drift ice, Antarctica   ATA
I would tend to agree with you but Cali is going to ruin themselves before the rest of the country follows, we have been watching and waking up...smoking smiley

In reply to # 3572316 by three5bangers I noticed paint fails on the underside of cars (suspension components & sheet metal) made after around 1998. I suspect that California passed a law requiring the underside of cars be painted with something biodegradable - like grape juice. Rather than have 49 state cars that have real paint , they just paint them all with grapefruit juice. CA has the power to ruin the country. If they pass a law it effects the entire USA, maybe the world. My 80s cars have more paint on the underside and less rust than my son's 2008.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster