AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

ddubois Avatar
ddubois Gold Member Dave DuBois
Bremerton, WA, USA   USA
Chris -
Quote: The "original MGA" book says mine should have an SU AUA 54

When the MGA was new, the same pump (AUA 54) came in nearly a dozen different designations (I am exaggerating, but not by much). Today, the pump you are looking for is the AZX 1331 as a standard points style pump or an all electronic pump it is a AZX 1331EN or AZX 1332EP. All three pumps look exactly the same, which is the sway they looked when the MGA went into production. Moss sells the points style pump under P/N 377-042. The solid state negative ground is P/N 377-225 and th epositive ground version is P/N 377-235. All three pumps look exactly the same other than red tape around the end cover-body junction for the positive ground and the negative ground (and the points style pump) have black tape around the end cover to pump body junction.
Cheers,

Dave DuBois
1953 MGTD
1966 MGB
http://homepages.donobi.net/sufuelpumps/

Member Services:
SU fuel pump restoration and conversion to solid state. Information and technical articles on SU fuel pumps.
riley1489 Avatar
riley1489 Gold Member Bruce H
Great White North, QC, Canada   CAN
1953 Jaguar XK120
1959 Riley 1.5 "King George"
1973 MG MGB
In reply to # 3535207 by gary s A further look showed that the pumps are made in ELMIRA NEW YORK!!!
I called directory assistance and got the phone #. The company was now Purealator. They bought Facet. Facet had bought BENDIX!! Isn't it odd that Porsche went to a U.S. company in Elmira new York back in the sixties instead of buying from their bed partner BOSCH!!

Exactly, Bendix was there first. smileys with beer marketing has now taken over.

The 50's Alfa Romeos were fitted with this Bendix fuel pump as well. Light aircraft also used this type pump.

Interesting to note that what the OP thought was an orphan/bastard fuel pump fitment actually was in very good company, in the day! and I think not out of place.
Not OE for sure but period correct. cool smiley

B

Check your ego Amigo!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-06-19 11:12 AM by riley1489.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Supporting Member <
hursst Chris L
Woodbridge, VA, USA   USA
Dave,
This is the exact info I was looking for. It looks like the MOSS 377-042 SU pump is the closest I'm going to get to original without buying an actual AUA 54. Thanks!

-Chris

ddubois Avatar
ddubois Gold Member Dave DuBois
Bremerton, WA, USA   USA
Chris -
Quote: It looks like the MOSS 377-042 SU pump is the closest I'm going to get to original without buying an actual AUA 54.
The AUA 54 doesn't exist under that number. In the early days, every time SU changed anything in a given pump (an extra screw or different washer, etc.), they gave the pump a different designation. Bottom line, there was a large number of fuel pumps that were all the same, except for an exceedingly small change, that were more often than not, something internal that could not be seen. I am not sure just when this habit of changing the model number ceased, but as of now, there are only very few pump designation - in the case of the AUA 54 (L type, high pressure SU fuel pump) there are only three part numbers, which I presented earlier.
Cheers,

Dave DuBois
1953 MGTD
1966 MGB
http://homepages.donobi.net/sufuelpumps/

Member Services:
SU fuel pump restoration and conversion to solid state. Information and technical articles on SU fuel pumps.
. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Supporting Member <

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster