AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Fuel Pump?
  This topic is about my 1960 MG MGA 1600
hursst Chris L
Woodbridge, VA, USA   USA
Hello,
I'm beginning reassembly on my '60 1600 restoration and I had a question about the fuel pump. Please see attached photo. This fuel pump looks nothing like any MGA fuel pump I've seen in the books or manuals. Can anyone identify it as original or aftermarket or ???? I'm assuming it is aftermarket. I'm not an MGA expert and still learning a lot about the car as I go along with the restoration, but this one has me a little perplexed. Thanks in advance.

-Chris

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
100_4023.JPG    95.7 KB
100_4023.JPG

Spitfire Dave Avatar
Spitfire Dave Dave B
Denver, Colorado, USA   USA
I can't tell you what that is, but it doesn't look anything like the original SU pump I pulled out of my '60 1600.

Dave
1960 MGA 1600

copernicus Avatar
copernicus Nick Kopernik
Redding, CT, USA   USA
I don't even think that its an aftermarket unit for an MGA; probably just a PO's attempt to keep the car running with whatever parts they had access to.

Are there any markings on this pump; perhaps on the brass end? Looks like the brass end cap may twist off; anything inside there to i.d. the manufacturer?

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
hursst Chris L
Here's one more photo, with the fuel pump as found during disassembly. Again, nothing like I've seen on any other MGAs, but seems like a lot of trouble to replace the original with this unit and the different fuel line attachment points. I'd still assume it's aftermarket, but wanted to ask the experts before I replace it with the SU style one that I would expect.

Attachments:
100_3251.JPG    63.6 KB
100_3251.JPG

hursst Chris L
Nick,
I think you're right, maybe just jury rigged something together. I'll take it apart to see if I get any more info, but looks like I'll get a new SU fuel pump. Thanks for the feedback.

hursst Chris L
I blasted some of the rust off it. Half the lettering is gone, but on the side is "Made in USA," and "...Division," so it's probably a Rochester fuel pump from something. In the junk pile it goes, buying a correct SU soon. Thanks again for the replies and alleviating any suspicions about originality.

Rob Z Avatar
Rob Z Silver Member Rob Zucca
Camarillo, CA, USA   USA
1960 MG MGA
Can't tell from your photo, but you'll probably need to source the fuel pump bracket as well. It's an offset bracket with two rubber pads and mounting bolts. And remember that if you connect your new pump to the tank with a rubber hose you'll need to run a separate ground from the sending unit as originally they grounded through the solid steel line.

"Time flies like an arrow......Fruit flies like a banana"

ghnl Avatar
ghnl Eric Russell
Mebane, North Carolina, USA   USA
1961 MG MGA "Calvin"
For almost anything knowable about the MGA, check the MGA Guru's Tech Pages.

For example: http://mgaguru.com/mgtech/fuel/fuel.htm

Eric Russell ~ Mebane, NC
1961 MGA #61, 1981 Alfa Romeo GTV6, 1984 Alfa Romeo Spider, 1991 Honda ST1100

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-06-18 12:29 PM by ghnl.

riley1489 Avatar
riley1489 Gold Member Bruce H
Great White North, QC, Canada   CAN
1953 Jaguar XK120
1959 Riley 1.5 "King George"
1973 MG MGB
In reply to # 3534848 by ghnl For almost anything knowable about the MGA, check the MGA Guru's Tech Pages.

or ask on this forum ..................... winking smiley

Chris
The pump in question is a Bendix brand, and is just another electric fuel pump. (see below)
I had one of these fitted to a car I bought, since replaced with correct positive earth SU HP pump.
This pump will provide the correct pressure, correct flow for dual H4's with no untoward operating glitches other than it runs constantly.
If it is functional I would keep it in your spares, it runs with positive earth so a keeper 'just in case'.

B

Check your ego Amigo!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-06-18 05:40 PM by riley1489.

Attachments:
BH_bendix1.1.jpg    41.1 KB
BH_bendix1.1.jpg

BH_bendix1.jpg    34.3 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
ddubois Avatar
ddubois Gold Member Dave DuBois
Bremerton, WA, USA   USA
The pump pictured is a Facet pump. The later picture could well have been made for Bendix (or maybe vice versa), but the only source of them (to my knowledge) is Facet. See the following http://www.facet-purolator.com/index.php The particular Facet pump is the Gold Flow.
Cheers,

Dave DuBois
1953 MGTD
1966 MGB
http://homepages.donobi.net/sufuelpumps/

Member Services:
SU fuel pump restoration and conversion to solid state. Information and technical articles on SU fuel pumps.
abowie Avatar
abowie Andrew Bowie
Adelaide, SA, Australia   AUS
1961 MG MGA 1600
1967 Jaguar E-Type "Rob's Car"
In reply to # 3534989 by ddubois

That's what I thought as well.

Andrew B, Adelaide SA
MGA 1600 and some Jaaaaags
www.projectetype.com

johnnyhepps Avatar
johnnyhepps Johnny Hepps
Evesham, UK, UK   GBR
Hi Chris,

This looks like a Facet fuel pump - they have been available in the UK for many many years (very popular with the racers and the tuners).

https://www.merlinmotorsport.co.uk/p/facet-silver-top-electric-fuel-pump-only-5-0-6-0-psi-fac-st

They tick very loudly when operational.

Regards,

John

hursst Chris L
I knew someone would know what this is. Thanks again for the expert knowledge. Mine is definitely trashed. Been sitting for 45 years with fuel in it, plus it's not original.

That being said, I want to go as original as possible. The "original MGA" book says mine should have an SU AUA 54. What would you experts suggest for where I can get an original or original style one? What are my best options as someone like myself who cares mostly about originality or the correct part? Thanks again.

-Chris

riley1489 Avatar
riley1489 Gold Member Bruce H
Great White North, QC, Canada   CAN
1953 Jaguar XK120
1959 Riley 1.5 "King George"
1973 MG MGB
In reply to # 3534989 by ddubois The later picture could well have been made for Bendix (or maybe vice versa), but the only source of them (to my knowledge) is Facet.

Dave
I only know what the sticker on the side and the stamping on the cover state. smileys with beer
Facet it is.

B

I wonder who was first ....................

Check your ego Amigo!

Attachments:
BH_bendix3.JPG    68.6 KB
BH_bendix3.JPG

gary s Avatar
gary s Gary Starr
N Illnois, USA   USA
My Dad in the 50's was into Corvettes,I remember a brand new one of those pumps as a spare in the garage for years. They were aftermarket. Found this on the internet dated 2002-

Earlier in the day I posted a want ad for a source of bendix stickers to go onto a new fuel pump.
Last weekend I went to the Essen Auto Show in Germany. There is a racing supply house that had the exact fuel pump used on early 911 cars. The manufactures sticker said BENDIX on the cars originally. Now they say FACET. After I bought the pump thinking I was king of the hill for finding a source for NOS early pumps, I opened the box to see everything written in english. A further look showed that the pumps are made in ELMIRA NEW YORK!!!
I called directory assistance and got the phone #. The company was now Purealator. They bought Facet. Facet had bought BENDIX!! Isn't it odd that Porsche went to a U.S. company in Elmira new York back in the sixties instead of buying from their bed partner BOSCH!!

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster