AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Laserman Avatar
Laserman L. Christiansen
Brabrand, DK, Denmark   DNK
1961 MG MGA
Hi,

I have been asked by an old friend who is not so clever on the internet, if I would help him look for some info on his car.

My friend is a former Morris - Austin and MG dealer here in Denmark, and allso a skilled mechanic,racing MG's back in the days, and he is restoring the car atm.

According to the license plate, the car has been registered in Ariozona, USA up to about 1984.

Thereafter the car must have been partly restored, because it came with a nice rebuild 1800 engine and a good gearbox as well, but all the bodywork still left to be done.

The main course of our interest in the history af the car, is that it is a 1957 model with Dunlop disk brakes on all four wheels which we think is very unusual for that year.

These brakes could of course have been added when the 1800 engine was added, but the amount of dirt and old grease and stuff, indicated that these brakes had been in service for a much longer time than the new engine.

The VIN on the car is unknown atm., but will hopefully be retieveable.

So if anybody should happen to know anything about this car.....

Thanks in adv.

Lars

1961 MGA 1600 Mkll

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Supporting Member <

Attachments:
20170614_210120_resized.jpg    29.6 KB
20170614_210120_resized.jpg

20170614_211759_resized.jpg    22.5 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
20170614_211805_resized.jpg    28.4 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
ghnl Avatar
ghnl Eric Russell
Mebane, North Carolina, USA   USA
1961 MG MGA "Calvin"
Welcome to the forum.

I doubt very much that the car began life as a 1957 model with four wheel disc brakes. MG introduced the Twin Cam model in May 1958. After a couple of years and just over 2,000 cars they ceased production of that engine. They then used the 'left over' chassis to build the so-called 'Deluxe' (I am not sure if that was ever a factory name).

It is very common for parts to get swapped around between the various models - even the VIN plate can be removed and put on another car!

For almost anything knowable about the MGA see the MGA Guru's Tech pages: http://www.mgaguru.com/mgtech/

Eric Russell ~ Mebane, NC
1961 MGA #61, 1981 Alfa Romeo GTV6, 1984 Alfa Romeo Spider, 1991 Honda ST1100

Rotaglide Avatar
Rotaglide Eric Z
Lindau, BAY, Germany   DEU
1960 MG MGA 1600 "Zoey"
Lars,

how do you know that it is a 1957 without the VIN?

Your friend should have received the american Title with the car, there is the VIN stated.

If he doesn't have the Title, he should contact the seller, there must be one because without a Title the american Customs don't allow a Car to leave the country for export.

If there really is no Title, your friend should look for the Body# and the Frame#, and post it here, because one of the members here (Gio) has a private MGA Register and can tell you what you friend should have.

The Body# you find on a tag on the firewall between the hinges of the bonnet, the Frame# at the center of the right footwell crossmember.

Perhaps he really has a Twin Cam (or a Deluxe model) and the 1800 engineer was added as a replacement for the Twin Cam engine.

Genomic Location for MGA Gene:

Chromosome:15
Start:41,621,224 bp from pter
End:41,773,081 bp from pter
Size:151,858 bases
Orientation: Plus strand

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2017-06-16 04:25 AM by Rotaglide.

Laserman Avatar
Laserman L. Christiansen
1961 MG MGA
My friend claimes it is a 1957. I payed the guy a visit last wednesday where we dicided to begin digging in the cars history.
This was at his home, and he could not find the papers on the car, and thought he had left them in his garage a few miles from his home.
I will post the VIN next time I have talked to him.

Some of the early prototypes made for racing was fitted with different brands of disc brakes, Girling, Dunlop or Lockheed.
The majority if these prototypes disapered and has never been seen again, and my friend thought there could be a remote possibillity that this car was one of them.

It is, for sure, not a TC body.

1961 MGA 1600 Mkll

Danbgt Avatar
Danbgt Dan Suter
Rochester, NY, USA   USA
Hello Lars,
The body number on this car will tell a significant story. It will fairly closely date the car (for date of manufacture) and verify which series it is.

You sound quite knowledgable and seem to already confirm it is likely not a Twin Cam body (cut outs in the inner fenders for the removable louvered access panels, nor the alternate location for the reverse style heater, etc).

It would seem to be extremely unlikely that the car is any kind of prototype (especially not LHD) if it is as early as 1957. Somebody probably obtained the T/C hubs/wheels/rear axle/brakes, etc.

This site has many people with the ability to assist in further assisting - a great place!

Best regards,
Dan

Laserman Avatar
Laserman L. Christiansen
1961 MG MGA
I agree with you Dan.

It is very unlikely that the car is other than brougth together from parts belonging to other vehicles.

When that said, I cannot reject the fact that my friend, aged 76, has a great knowledge on these cars.

He was a former dealer of English cars back in the 60'ties and 70'ties and once he participated in a seminar in Cowley and
Abbingdon, where he actully saw the cars (MGBs I think) that were taken off the production line to be prepared for racing in the tuning department.

Anyway, eventhougt this is just a car that was put together with parts from other cars, we thougt it could be fun to know the
history, and since the car came with American title, this board would be the right place to start our search.

Rgds.

Lars

1961 MGA 1600 Mkll

Laserman Avatar
Laserman L. Christiansen
1961 MG MGA
Finally back again with some more info.

The car was last registred to Mr. Bill Partridge, 2321 N. Granite Reef Rd. Scottsdale, Arizona.

VIN# HDR43 34458

BODY# 44547

FRAME# 24450

CHASSIS# 34458

According to production records listed by Clausager, the car was assembled around june or july 1957.

According to the US Certficate of Title as of July 23 1976 the car was registered as a 1958 model.

Any help would be very welcomesmiling smiley

Thans in adv.

Lars

1961 MGA 1600 Mkll

mgaex189 Avatar
mgaex189 Platinum Member Giovanni Delicio
Obrigheim, Rheinpfalz, Germany   DEU
1955 MG MGA 1500 "C2"
1955 MG MGA 1500
1955 MG MGA 1500 "C1"
1960 MG MGA 1600 Coupe    & more
Hi Lars,

the Body# and VIN seems to be "matching" !

What do you mean by "FRAME# 24450" ??

Where did you find that number ? Was it on the LEFT crossmember ?

I may tell you something more abaout the car if you answer my question.

Thanks

Gio

Laserman Avatar
Laserman L. Christiansen
1961 MG MGA
Thanks for your reply Giovanni.

Don't know where the frame# was located, but I think there should be a seperate number for the frame some where, and the VIN# was to be found on the right cross member.
I will ask him where he found it next time I talk to him.

Lars

1961 MGA 1600 Mkll

Rob Z Avatar
Rob Z Silver Member Rob Zucca
Camarillo, CA, USA   USA
1960 MG MGA
Yes. VIN on frame cross member on right side. Weld/sub assembly chassis number on left side......if they're still there.

"Time flies like an arrow......Fruit flies like a banana"

wyatt Avatar
wyatt Silver Member Wyatt W
penguin point, drift ice, Antarctica   ATA
.....how many holes in the front cross member?? and the distance of the steering shaft?

Laserman Avatar
Laserman L. Christiansen
1961 MG MGA
Wyatt.

I will look into that too.

Lars

1961 MGA 1600 Mkll

GILMGA Avatar
GILMGA Silver Member Gil Dupre
CHATTANOOGA, TENNESSEE, USA   USA
1962 MG MGA
1974 MG MGB GT
Contact British Heratige ask for information certificate.

Gil

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster