AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

BR340B Gold Member Bob Roth
Fort Worth, Texas, USA   USA
1973 MG MGB MkIII "Vera"
Dear All,

I suppose it was bound to happen, as I am driving daily in the Ft. Worth, TX metroplex.

This morning my '73 MGB and I got hit from behind by a "distracted" driver. Damage isn't as bad as I imagined would happen in such a case, but still not good.

So, question is: has anybody experience dealing with the ordinary insurance companies regards assessments, quotes, capable body shops, etc. for repairs to a not-run-of-the-mill automobile?

As always, many thanks.

Best Regards,

Bob

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
IMG_0832.JPG    47.7 KB
IMG_0832.JPG

IMG_0833.JPG    55.6 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
HoosierMGB Avatar
HoosierMGB Gold Member Steve Koller
South Bend, Indiana, USA   USA
1976 MG MGB
Happy you are ok - so sorry about the damage sad smiley

You may want to post this on the MGB & GT topics - you may get more responses with folks who have insight on this.

Steve

"Make no little plans; they have no magic to stir men's blood"
Daniel H. Burnham, Architect

1976 MGB - pretty much stock but with a few sundry deviations

MGARuss Avatar
MGARuss Silver Member Russ Sharples
New Jersey, USA   USA
1960 MG MGA 1600 "Bonnie"
1993 Mazda MX-5 "Bombita"
Bob,

If you have collector car insurance on your car, I would file the claim with your insurance company and let them recover from the other company. This is because you will be dealing with an insurance company that should understand the special requirements of fixing a classic car. A regular insurance company might want to just total your car.

If you have normal insurance on your MGB, then it is a question of is your insurance company better" than their insurance company. I made this mistake in getting our of our daily drivers fixed where it was the other driver's fault. I let the other driver's insurance company handle the repair to my car. This meant that I got the customer service and the repair policies of the other driver's company. It wasn't a bad company but they were "tight wads" and insisted on sourcing parts from non-OEM suppliers that gave the body shop headaches and they nickle-and-dimed us on the rental car reimbursement. I have a "first tier" insurance company. I do pay a higher premium but I get better customer service and better policies in the body shop. If I had to do it over again, I would file the claim for repair with my insurance company and let them fight it out with the tight wads.

Russ

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
dickmoritz Avatar
dickmoritz Gold Member Dick Moritz
Philly 'burbs, PA, USA   USA
Exactly. This is the reason everyone should have their MG insured by one of the specialty companies.

Also, do not allow your insurance company or the other guy's insurance company steer you to one of their "approved" shops. The insurance companies and these shops have a vested interest in repairing cars for the least possible cost. Remember, it's your car, and you get to choose the shop that repairs it. If you're insured by one of the really good classic car insurers, like Hagerty or Grundy, they can recommend body shops that specialize in classic cars. I would certainly accept a recommendation from them. But not from one of the "regular" insurance companies.

The other guy damaged your car. You have a right to have it repaired properly, at the shop of your choosing, and he and his insurance company have a legal obligation to make you whole...

Dick

In reply to # 3514176 by MGARuss Bob,

If you have collector car insurance on your car, I would file the claim with your insurance company and let them recover from the other company. This is because you will be dealing with an insurance company that should understand the special requirements of fixing a classic car. A regular insurance company might want to just total your car.

Russ

Errabundi Saepe, Semper Certi
(Often wrong, but always certain)

Fidor Avatar
Fidor Silver Member Bruce G
Glendale, CA, USA   USA
Most insurance companies will not have any data re costs of repair on these cars (not talking about special vintage-car insurance companies). You'll want to find a reputable shop who handles classic cars ), and have the insurance company to deal with your selected body shop.

Don't ask me about my bike.

GILMGA Avatar
GILMGA Silver Member Gil Dupre
CHATTANOOGA, TENNESSEE, USA   USA
1962 MG MGA
1974 MG MGB GT
They may try to total it out depending on which insurance Look up the value of your car on Nada or Hagerty.

Gil

RJBrown Avatar
RJBrown Randy Brown
Queen Creek, Arizona, USA   USA
Because there is such a wide range of values on collector cars most insurance policies list an agreed value to protect both sides. Who is your policy through?

Attachments:
IMG_3565.jpg    48.3 KB
IMG_3565.jpg

Billm Avatar
Billm Bill Masquelier
Santee, Ca, USA   USA
In my case she didn't have valid insurance so I had Hagerty cover it and they went after her and I didn't have to.
They (Hagerty) are a first class group!
BillM

dipstick Avatar
dipstick Kenny Snyder
La Center, Washington, USA   USA
1941 Ford N-Series
1958 MG MGA 1500 Coupe "Rosie"
1970 MG MGB GT "Pat's GT"
1971 MG MGB "Gifted To Me"    & more
Concerning the physical damage, in Battle Ground, WA Joe's Body Shop uses an in-ground frame machine. First they pull out the damaged area back to the proper dimensions wrinkles and all, and check wheel alignment. Then they reshape or replace areas/items as required. At the end of the repair there is little filler used, and their paint supplier will digitally match the color exactly.

Be safe out there.
Kenny

billjamesSTJames Avatar
billjamesSTJames Bill James
Southport, NC, USA   USA
Bob

I was in the Ins Buss for 35 years. Go with your own Company (if collector car ins co) Most Ins Adjusters have never seen a MG let alone know where to get parts. You may have a Deductible which may or may not be
waived. Rear end hits are pretty straight forward. DO NOT AGREE WITH THE OTHER DRIVER TO USE "HIS FRIEND" TO FIX YOUR CAR That always ends in tears (yours!)

Bill

BR340B Gold Member Bob Roth
Fort Worth, Texas, USA   USA
1973 MG MGB MkIII "Vera"
Dear All,

Thanks very much for all of the suggestions. I will most certainly heed the advice to work with my own insurance company (Farmers), and let them deal with the other guy's company. Farmers has already advised me that I can pick the repair shop, and etc. - so will check with the local guys here (Ft. Worth), for recommendations.

Not looking forward to this, but I'm sure we'll get her back to as good as new as soon as possible.

Very Best Regards,

Bob

dickmoritz Avatar
Good for you, Bob.... thumbs up

Be sure to let us all know how the movie ends...

BTW, it would be interesting to know if your Farmer's insurance includes "Stated Value" or "Agreed Value" coverage (or neither). Do note that the language is critical. "Stated Value" in insurance circles is the value that you state your car is worth, and it only represents a value from which your insurance company may well negotiate downward from in the event of a theft or total loss. "Agreed Value" is the exact dollar figure you and your insurance company agree will be paid to you in the event of a theft or total loss. No more, no less.

There is a big difference between the two. Please do not wait until your car is stolen or totalled to learn the difference...

Dick

In reply to # 3514786 by BR340B Dear All,

Thanks very much for all of the suggestions. I will most certainly heed the advice to work with my own insurance company (Farmers), and let them deal with the other guy's company. Farmers has already advised me that I can pick the repair shop, and etc. - so will check with the local guys here (Ft. Worth), for recommendations.

Not looking forward to this, but I'm sure we'll get her back to as good as new as soon as possible.

Very Best Regards,

Bob

Steve S Avatar
On The Road, Lost in So Cal, USA   USA
In reply to # 3514209 by dickmoritz This is the reason everyone should have their MG insured by one of the specialty companies.
If you mean classic car insurance like Haggerty or Grundy, they don't allow daily driving. My '67 has "regular" insurance also for the same reason, while the rest of the cars are with Grundy.

I was rear-ended MUCH worse than that, when a raised up Suburban with a bash bar on front came through my rear hatch window. My insurance company wanted to total the car but I stopped them before they filed a salvage title (which they can do without asking you first). Their error in sending it to the total loss department meant they had to pay full value, not repair value. Their appraiser gave an estimate of $6000 and repairs would cost $7000. I insisted on a 3rd party appraiser who valued the car at $16.5K. So that's what they now had to pay me, minus the buy-back cost, all because they tried to just get rid of me and my car. I used everything I had left from the claim after buy-back to paint the entire car and do some other work. All that and no salvage title.

dickmoritz Avatar
For daily driving you are correct. However the various collector car insurance companies all have different rules for how much you can drive a car. Perhaps if the OP only takes his MG to work occasionally, one of the classic car insurers might well cover it. Worth looking into unless it truly is a daily driver...

Dick

In reply to # 3514916 by Steve S
In reply to # 3514209 by dickmoritz This is the reason everyone should have their MG insured by one of the specialty companies.
If you mean classic car insurance like Haggerty or Grundy, they don't allow daily driving. My '67 has "regular" insurance also for the same reason, while the rest of the cars are with Grundy.

I was rear-ended MUCH worse than that, when a raised up Suburban with a bash bar on front came through my rear hatch window. My insurance company wanted to total the car but I stopped them before they filed a salvage title (which they can do without asking you first). Their error in sending it to the total loss department meant they had to pay full value, not repair value. Their appraiser gave an estimate of $6000 and repairs would cost $7000. I insisted on a 3rd party appraiser who valued the car at $16.5K. So that's what they now had to pay me, minus the buy-back cost, all because they tried to just get rid of me and my car. I used everything I had left from the claim after buy-back to paint the entire car and do some other work. All that and no salvage title.

Steve S Avatar
On The Road, Lost in So Cal, USA   USA
Agreed, but he did note that his is a daily driver. I don't think that any classic insurers will officially allow commuting to work in the car, but some (like Grundy) take a relaxed view on it if you say you were taking it to the shop on the way home, or bringing it to show off to a co-worker, etc. Basically to have a reason to drive it there other than just commuting.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1974 MG MGB

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links