MGA 1600 Top

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

duke48 tony nataluk
portland, maine, USA   USA
I don't know if my top frame is original to the car. There is no top now, just the frame. I wanted to order a new one, but I see there are differences from the early and the newer ones. How would I know what frame I really have so I don't order the wrong top?

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Supporting Member <
Redhawk1689 Avatar
Redhawk1689 Gold Member Steven Stockham
Salina, Kansas, USA   USA
1958 MG MGA 1500 "Belle"
The frames should be identical. The tops were different but that stupidly designed, nightmare-to-unfold-by-yourself frame stayed the same! The color of the frame started out as a beige but replacements were black so either color is acceptable in Concours judging.

ghnl Avatar
ghnl Eric Russell
Mebane, North Carolina, USA   USA
1961 MG MGA "Calvin"
Actually, there are three very slight variations of top frames & the header bow. See: http://www.mgaguru.com/mgtech/top/top108b.htm & http://www.mgaguru.com/mgtech/top/top108d.htm

I think the fabric part will fit any of the above frames. The difference between early tops & later tops was that the early tops had only a single rear window. They then added the two side/corner windows which gave better rear view visibility.

Eric Russell ~ Mebane, NC
1961 MGA #61, 1981 Alfa Romeo GTV6, 1984 Alfa Romeo Spider, 1991 Honda ST1100

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-04-21 09:27 AM by ghnl.

Spitfire Dave Avatar
Spitfire Dave Gold Member Dave B
Denver, Colorado, USA   USA
Actually, there was a slight change to the frame in mid-1600 production that allowed it to angle back further under the tonneau panel. But the real difference as it pertains to tops is the width of the header rail. It was about 3/4" wider in the later production cars. From all accounts, the header rails being sold today by Moss and others are the later, wider ones. But they can be cut back if need be to fit an earlier-style top.

Can you measure the width of your header rail? Maybe someone here can compare the measurement with theirs to see if you have a narrow or wide one.

Dave
1960 MGA 1600

Redhawk1689 Avatar
1958 MG MGA 1500 "Belle"
Ah, yes... I forgot about the header rail difference! I ordered the Moss header rail and chopped and sanded the ends off to match the 1500 version I had. Not difficult but definitely not something to forget!

mgaex189 Avatar
mgaex189 Platinum Member Giovanni Delicio
Obrigheim, Rheinpfalz, Germany   DEU
1955 MG MGA 1500 "C2"
1955 MG MGA 1500
1955 MG MGA 1500 "C1"
1960 MG MGA 1600 Coupe    & more
Hi Steven,

is the red car with the black top YOUR car ?

It seems to be a very early one (1500). Do you have his data ?

Gio

Redhawk1689 Avatar
1958 MG MGA 1500 "Belle"
No, mine is the blue 58' in my profile pic.

MGeez Avatar
MGeez Frank Bice
Yukon, Oklahoma, USA   USA
I have a 60 MGA, with a soft top, but I'm not sure how to tell you which top frame (or top) I have. Both were on the car when I bought it. How can I help?
Cheers,
Frank

mg1622 Terry Armitage
Sundre, Alberta, Canada   CAN
The car I got last week came with a beige coloured top frame.I can post some pics if needed.This was sold to me as a 61 but has parts from various years so cant say what year the top frame would be Terry.

Redhawk1689 Avatar
1958 MG MGA 1500 "Belle"
Quite frankly, I don't think it really mattrers. The frames are interchangeable. It's the headers that are slightly longer. Moss sells the longer ones. The good news is that cutting about 3/4" off each end and sanding the edges round (to match the profile) will allow earlier styles to be used. This is what I did and it turned out rather well.

Attachments:
024.jpg    27.6 KB
024.jpg

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster