AutoShrine Sponsor

markmga Avatar
markmga Mark Wellard
Brisbane, QLD, Australia   AUS
1959 MG MGA Twin-Cam Coupe "Basket Case"
1961 MG MGA 1600
1969 MG MGC
Hi Bill,
I've just looked at my look in daylight. The length is about the same as yours, as far as I can tell. The routing is what makes it look different.
Where the wires leave the main loom, they are routed towards the wipers until they get to a clamp, after which they return along the back and side of the heater as shown above in my picture. This is enough to use up the extra length, which may also be there to get around the heater.

Mark

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Judge Jeffs Avatar
Judge Jeffs Gold Member Bill Jeffries
Chichester, West Sussex, UK   GBR
1959 MG MGA
Strange. Maybe just different ways of using the length up that is needed for lhd. Maybe CKD looms were fitted locally and not at the factory? Someone will know.
By the way Mark, what's the cable going through your bulkhead to the left of the fuse block?

Terry. Sorry to hi-jack your topic but hope you've got something from it.
Bill.

GNK025 Avatar
GNK025 Gold Member Terry Sheppard
Hampton, Victoria, Australia   AUS
Not hijacked at all. I'm very interested in what you guys are finding, and once you get it sorted, intend taking advantage of your research.
What I have got from it so far is confirmation that mine is probably the least correct of all.
At this stage it seems like the appropriate installation is to route direct at the rear of the heater box, maybe clip in parallel to the front end harness, and then direct through the grommet in the horizontal firewall, and cut off the excess before connecting to the dipper switch.
But being basically lazy, will wait until you finish your research, then lunch of whatever you determine.
Please keep up the good work
Terry

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
markmga Avatar
markmga Mark Wellard
1961 MG MGA 1600
1969 MG MGC
Bill
The 'cable' on the left of the fuse block is the tube for the windscreen washer jet that is installed in the bonnet.

Cheers,
Mark

Judge Jeffs Avatar
1959 MG MGA
Mark, sounds like you've got an interesting car, lots of mods?
Bill

markmga Avatar
markmga Mark Wellard
1961 MG MGA 1600
1969 MG MGC
Hi Bill,
Other than the head and a 3.9 LSD, it's pretty well standard.

Mark

Judge Jeffs Avatar
1959 MG MGA
What head do you have?
The only alternative here I think was the Derrington cross flow head.

markmga Avatar
markmga Mark Wellard
1961 MG MGA 1600
1969 MG MGC
Yes, it is an HRG Derrington with H6 SUs. Because of that, I have a reversed heater.

Cheers,
Mark

GNK025 Avatar
OK You Guys,

From reading your blogs and reading between the lines, I think I have got it. Many Thanks for your becoming involved.

I have just finished rerouting the harness, refer pic 1, which has enabled me to re-run the new tacho cable (pic 2), and it all works.
So next mop up the blood from the bloodied knuckles, and settle back with a cold beer, all is well with the world.

Thanks Again, in spite of your blogs getting a bit off topic, they were all very useful

Terry

Attachments:
rerouted tacho cable.jpg    39.5 KB
rerouted tacho cable.jpg

dip sw harness rerouted.jpg    41.1 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
Judge Jeffs Avatar
1959 MG MGA
Terry,
Looks great, neat and tidy. In the end, the sensible solution is to cut the offending length off the loom and run it straight from the breakout to the down hole; as your's is. Lovely looking restoration.
After 18 months, I finally got the last parts back from the paint shop (only thing I didn't tackle) and spent what time I've had over the weekend doing a final fit of wings and doors.
Time gets squandered though...I realised I needed to rivet new rubber seals on the splash plates, fiddly job, and then without thinking ahead, fitted the front plates; carefully tapping out the captive nuts of new paint, then realising all the wing bolts were loose awaiting the piping! Off came the plates and the final tighten up began.
So, where's the wing piping that I bought several years ago? Sure I'd put it somewhere sensible. A couple of hours later and a thorough search of every corner, shelf, drawer and walking round muttering and cussing, I took the only sensible course of action....grab a beer! It worked of course and went back to the only place I'd discounted as being a daft place, up in the loft and found it.
Seems to be how it goes....good days when everything goes well and you have a skip in your step and days of utter frustration when it would probably be better to just walk away!
I don't know if you've seen my restoration website - mgarestoration.com
Regards Bill

Judge Jeffs Avatar
1959 MG MGA
That's a rare and valuable head even here in the U.K. Any idea what effect it has on power output?
Bill.

markmga Avatar
markmga Mark Wellard
1961 MG MGA 1600
1969 MG MGC
Hi Bill,
There are publications that show the impact of the head (for example http://www.rhodo.citymax.com/HRG.html). It does make the car nice to drive.
Thanks for the link to your web site - very interesting.

Mark

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-04-24 07:54 AM by markmga.

GNK025 Avatar
Hi Bill,
What a great thing to do, to document the resto on a website. I have put myself down for updates from your site.
Having owned and loved an A before marriage, I bought this one as an unfinished project just before I retired. I assumed that all of the resto work done to that point was done right, and have been reversing or correcting or finishing in the 8 years since I have had it on the road. Just like correcting the wiring routing. I'm not sure that you ever really finish......
Will be very interested in following your resto story.
All the best

Judge Jeffs Avatar
1959 MG MGA
Terry, I had the interesting situation of uncovering work I'd done on my car in the early 70's. I did nothing to the body at that time, but did build up the engine and drove it flat out everywhere and spent nothing on it.
Now after 40 years, a 7 year restoration and not a few quid, I'm worried that I'll be frightened to use it!
Hopefully I'll get over it.
Nearly there!
Bill.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1956 MG Magnette ZA

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links