Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

GNK025 Avatar
GNK025 Gold Member Terry Sheppard
Hampton, Victoria, Australia   AUS
This one for Right Hand Drivers . In trying to correctly route a new tachometer cable, have found that PO who started the resto of my rhd 1500, has routed the dip switch harness from the breakout on the main wiring harness through the firewall vertical panel hole which should accommodate the tachometer cable.
The harness should obviously enter the under dash via the hole in the horizontal panel to the front right of the heater box.
Can anyone advise how the harness should be routed between the breakout and the entry point?
I have seen some routed in front of the heater, and others lying loose at the back of the heater.
Lots of info on Barney's site and others relative to LHD, but can't locate any detail for RHD.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Supporting Member <
Judge Jeffs Avatar
Judge Jeffs Gold Member Bill Jeffries
Chichester, West Sussex, UK   GBR
1959 MG MGA
Terry,
On mine the dipper loom runs from the main loom round the front of the master cylinder bellows and through the horizontal shelf directly above the dipper switch, as below.
Actually, looking back at my pre resto pics, I think it should run Behind the bellows!
Bill

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-04-19 12:18 PM by Judge Jeffs.

Attachments:
IMG_2657.JPG    39 KB
IMG_2657.JPG

IMG_2240.JPG    56.2 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
IMG_2642.JPG    42.8 KB
GNK025 Avatar
GNK025 Gold Member Terry Sheppard
Hampton, Victoria, Australia   AUS
Thanks Judge.

Confirms that I am on the right track in regard to routing through the dash panel, but somehow doesn't look right being routed around the bellows. My harness is I think long enough to route that way, in fact I think it should be shortened, but suspect it should be run more directly between the breakout and the grommet.

Thanks

Terry

Judge Jeffs Avatar
1959 MG MGA
Terry,
Yes, you're right. The original route was from breakout in the side loom, under the master cylinder push rods, then directly to the heater shelf hole.
Not sure why I looped it round....must change it.
Bill.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-04-20 04:31 AM by Judge Jeffs.

markmga Avatar
markmga Mark Wellard
Brisbane, QLD, Australia   AUS
1959 MG MGA Twin-Cam Coupe "Basket Case"
1961 MG MGA 1600
1969 MG MGC
Hi Terry,

To me, your loom looks too long. On my car, it goes from the shelf directly past the heater to the main loom on the firewall (see attached and excuse the rubbish). It is the main loom that passes through the master cylinder bracket. If you have a copy of Clausager, see p90 for another example of the routing.

Mark

Attachments:
IMG_0208.JPG    47.6 KB
IMG_0208.JPG

Judge Jeffs Avatar
1959 MG MGA
Mark,
looks like your's leaves the main loom in a different place.
Mine comes from the righthand side main loom - See pictures of my original pre restoration shots, that show the dipper loom running under the master cylinder push rods, parallel to the main loom that runs under the actual master cylinder.
Before restoration began, my car was untouched since I bought it in 1974, so I can't imagine the loom would have been touched before then.
Terry,
By the way, you mentioned your tacho cable routing - in the first picture, see the bulkhead hole beneath the lefthand (from the driving seat) bonnet/hood hinge and to the right of the yellow banded piece of loom, that is the tacho cable hole.
Hope all this helps.
Bill.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2017-04-20 05:12 AM by Judge Jeffs.

Attachments:
DSC_0048_01.JPG    55.7 KB
DSC_0048_01.JPG

DSC_0049_01.JPG    53.2 KB
Judge Jeffs Avatar
1959 MG MGA
Mark,
Sorry, I can see the difference looking at your heater box, that your's looks like it's a Twin cam, which does have a different loom. Clausager shots are also of twin cam routing.
Bill.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-04-20 04:50 AM by Judge Jeffs.

markmga Avatar
markmga Mark Wellard
1961 MG MGA 1600
1969 MG MGC
Hi Bill,

It's not a twin cam - t's an original CKD Australian delivered car. The heater is like that because I have a cross flow head on the engine.

Mark

Judge Jeffs Avatar
1959 MG MGA
Mark, I did wonder, but it looks like you've got a Twin cam loom for some reason....unless of course someone else can throw light on it.
Bill.

markmga Avatar
markmga Mark Wellard
1961 MG MGA 1600
1969 MG MGC
Hi Bill,
that's the original loom that was in the car when I got it in 1972.

Mark

Judge Jeffs Avatar
1959 MG MGA
Mark
You beat me by two years! Still, who knows what the factory really got up to, especially with export CKD. I guess also the people in Oz reassembling them might have contributed to the differences (?)
Bill.

markmga Avatar
markmga Mark Wellard
1961 MG MGA 1600
1969 MG MGC
Bill,
Can you measure the length of that section of your loom? I will look at mine tomorrow in daylight for comparison.
My car is a 1600 - that may also make a difference if yours is a 1500.

Mark

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-04-20 06:17 AM by markmga.

Judge Jeffs Avatar
1959 MG MGA
Mark/Terry,
not sure how to say this, but I think I've been talking a load of rubbish! Must be age related.
I've looked at my new loom and it is the same as yours in that it exits the main loom behind the heater box, routed along behind the box, through the holes in the master cylinder bracket, then looping back under the MC pushrods to the horizontal shelf hole above the dipper switch.
That's how it was originally.
Forget the guff about coming in from the side loom.
That section of the loom is 2ft 8in approx to the hole through the shelf.
Bill.

markmga Avatar
markmga Mark Wellard
1961 MG MGA 1600
1969 MG MGC
Bill,
It seems strange that the path would go to the master cylinder and back - so far out of the way for no apparent reason. Maybe to enable LHD and RHD to use the same loom? It doesn't explain why mine has a shorter path.

Mark

Judge Jeffs Avatar
1959 MG MGA
Yes, it is odd and the lhd issue is probably right. Strange that Auto Sparks who make one of the best looms in the U.K., ask if it's a rhd car, so as to provide a specific loom. They could save 2ft of wire!
Bill.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster