MGExp

MGA Forum

Fuel pump ticking REALLY fast - problem?

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Spitfire Dave Avatar
Spitfire Dave Dave B
Denver, Colorado, USA   USA
Hi gang. Today I took the A for a drive, as it hit 80 degrees in Denver. Starting from cold, the fuel pump did its familiar clicking, and the car ran perfectly for about an hour or so. Oil pressure excellent, temp right at 190. But after about an hour of driving, I noticed when I came to a stop sign that the fuel pump was ticking super fast, like drum roll fast. I've never heard it do that before. I stopped at the post office a few minutes later and was afraid to turn the car off for fear it might not start back up, but it did. As soon as I turned the key to the on position, the drum roll started again. But the engine fired up immediately and I continued home without incident.

What does this mean? I drove the car for several hundred miles last year on a number of different trips and never experienced this. I didn't see anything describing it on Barney's site.

Dave
1960 MGA 1600

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
ghnl Avatar
ghnl Eric Russell
Mebane, North Carolina, USA   USA
1961 MG MGA "Calvin"
If it is not leaking gas (should be quite obvious) then it might be sucking air. Check (tighten) all connections between the gas tank and the pump.

Eric Russell ~ Mebane, NC
1961 MGA #61, 1981 Alfa Romeo GTV6, 1984 Alfa Romeo Spider, 1991 Honda ST1100

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-03-18 09:35 PM by ghnl.

ddubois Avatar
ddubois Gold Member Dave DuBois
Bremerton, WA, USA   USA
The first thing is to check that all the fuel connections are tight as Eric suggested. If all the connections are tight, I would look for any wet spots along the ridged fuel line. Finally, the one thing that you can't see is the possibility of a hole in the diaphragm. Check the vent hole at the bottom of the coil housing, where the housing and the flange come together at the 6 o'clock position. If you see any moisture around that vent hole, then the pump is ready for an overhaul.
Cheers,

Dave DuBois
1953 MGTD
1966 MGB
http://homepages.donobi.net/sufuelpumps/

Member Services:
SU fuel pump restoration and conversion to solid state. Information and technical articles on SU fuel pumps.
abowie Avatar
abowie Andrew Bowie
Adelaide, SA, Australia   AUS
1961 MG MGA 1600
1967 Jaguar E-Type "Rob's Car"
? stuck fuel bowl jet? ?clogged fuel filter?

Andrew B, Adelaide SA
MGA 1600 and some Jaaaaags
www.projectetype.com

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Spitfire Dave Avatar
Spitfire Dave Dave B
Thanks for your suggestions. I'll check and report back.

Dave
1960 MGA 1600

RJBrown Avatar
RJBrown Randy Brown
Queen Creek, Arizona, USA   USA
A leak before the pump will allow air to be sucked in causing the symptoms you describe. A leak after the pump will leak fuel on the ground. A plug after the pump with turn it off like in normal operation. A plug before the pump will burn it out. Do not put a fuel filter before a SU pump.

Spitfire Dave Avatar
Spitfire Dave Dave B
In reply to # 3472028 by RJBrown Do not put a fuel filter before a SU pump.

Too late! The previous owner added a fuel filter between the tank and the pump 16 years ago.

I found no evidence of a gas leak on the output side of the pump, and all the connections at the pump and at the filter were snug.

It's no longer relevant, though. Today I replaced the SU pump with this aftermarket pump that Barney's been using - http://mgaguru.com/mgtech/fuel/fp201.htm

Tomorrow I'll convert to negative ground and do a couple other things on my list. I already had the pump and was planning to replace it anyway, but it was further down on my list.

Thanks for the responses.

Dave
1960 MGA 1600

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-03-19 08:06 PM by Spitfire Dave.

Zur Avatar
Zur Silver Member Dave H.
Amarillo, Texas, USA   USA
Hey Dave...why are you converting to Neg ground?
Just curious.

Dave

Spitfire Dave Avatar
Spitfire Dave Dave B
My primary reason for converting to negative ground is that the solid state fuel pump requires it. But also I'm about to replace the points in the distributor with a Pertronix ignition unit, which requires negative ground. I just have an irrational preference for negative ground. It just seems "right" that way. Plus, when my generator dies someday, I want to replace it with an alternator.

Dave
1960 MGA 1600

Zur Avatar
Thanks Dave.

"...It just seems "right" that way..." Yeah, it 'seems' that way to me too. I have many "irrational preferences"!
I'm a dweeb on electricals and still don't really have my mind around the +/- ground thing, so I'm leaving it the way it came.
By the way, you can get the Pertronix ignition unit in Pos or Neg ground.

Dave

Spitfire Dave Avatar
Spitfire Dave Dave B
In reply to # 3472841 by Zur By the way, you can get the Pertronix ignition unit in Pos or Neg ground.

Yup! But the fuel pump I wanted to use only comes in negative ground configuration. It's the one Barney has been using in his MGA for 20 years or so.

Dave
1960 MGA 1600

barneymg Avatar
barneymg Barney Gaylord
(Somewhere in USA), Pick one (or more), USA   USA
1958 MG MGA "MGA With An Attitude"
Not so. The Airtex type fuel pumps have two wires, which should be clearly marked +/-. They can be connected for either positive or negative earth. For positive earth the white power feed wire will be "-" to the fuel pump, and the pump "+" wire goes to chassis ground.

Barney Gaylord - 1958 MGA with an attitude - http://MGAguru.com - barneymg@mgaguru.com

Spitfire Dave Avatar
Spitfire Dave Dave B
Oops! Well, the deed is done.

Dave
1960 MGA 1600

Monsantiqu Avatar
Monsantiqu Silver Member Anthony S
Sunshine City, Florida, USA   USA
Dave, get your SU pump rebuilt by Dave Dubois.
The SU pump is far superior to the pump you replaced it with.
If you are handy, you can rebuild (if it needs to be rebuilt) the pump yourself with Genuine SU parts from England.
I recently did mine complete with OEM style decal.
I bought a used one from eBay (cheap!!) rebuilt it, put it in my car and rebuilt the original one.
Now I have a brand new SU spare if I ever need it!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-03-21 10:02 AM by Monsantiqu.

Attachments:
IMG_0348.JPG    45.2 KB
IMG_0348.JPG

Zur Avatar
Also, some fuel pumps normally click all the time.
And at the same rate, regardless of fuel demand.
Mine is like that but I don't know the brand.

Dave

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster