Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

bobs77vet Avatar
bobs77vet bob K.
northern Va, Va, USA   USA
hands down you get the balls of steel award for the weekend.......the trick is to do when they arent around

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Supporting Member <
Grubeguy Avatar
Grubeguy Grube Guy
Washington, DC, USA   USA
You know, I've gotta say Bob, that with a winning lotto ticket, I'd have the Garage of Awesomeness, and it would include its own washing machine (for nasty shop towels), an oven big enough to enable powder coating, and some sort of much larger dishwasher to clean parts like this with. And probably in-floor radiant heat too smiling smiley

I am FINALLY finished with the left and right side repair of the inner over-the-frame metal piece repair, and good riddance to it too! Some cleanup work to do still, some welds left to grind down, but I've been reassigned to BBQ duty, and will leave the project for continuance tomorrow.

bobs77vet Avatar
bobs77vet bob K.
In reply to # 3548504 by Grubeguy ............. And probably in-floor radiant heat too smiling smiley

you can scratch that off your list. i have that in my garage and have never hooked it up. the fact of the matter is when you build the garage to high energy efficient standards with 2x6 walls and energy efficient windows, doors, cieling insulation a small dayton 240 v electric heater carrys the day. My son an HVAC guy gave me an outside pool gas hot water heater to use with the radiant floor tubing i have installed and i am not sure we are going to hook it up since the need just isn't there and I roll around on the concrete more then most guys, i have never like a creeper i just use a movers blanket and crawl on it.

Grubeguy Avatar
Grubeguy Grube Guy
I spent about three hours today getting unreasonably dirty for what feels like little gain. I even had in involve Management to hold a wrench while I turned a socket, trying (successfully) to remove the brake/clutch reservoir. I am convinced that EVERY bolt and nut in this car is going to be rusted, and thus, a royal PIA to undo. One of the brake lines is rusted to the reservoir, so I have it soaking and will try to unscrew it tomorrow or the next day. Something is still holding the body to the frame (winswhield wiper motor?), so I still have work to do there.

I'm also about 80% done removing and unhooking the wiring harness. I had a vague hope of perhaps reusing or renovating this thing, but HELL NO. There are splices, dead ends, home made addendums, epilogues and other edits to the thing, all tied up in electrical tape, and I'm much better off just buying one from Moss and starting over. It's nice to see the inside of the car looking bare though.

mg1622 Terry Armitage
Sundre, Alberta, Canada   CAN
Hey Grube Guy ,good call.I have redone a wiring harness in the past but now I just get a new one and it is soooooooooo much easier and safer too.Terry

Grubeguy Avatar
Grubeguy Grube Guy
I've got the wiring harness off and coiled up in a box. The cloth covering is shot and there are only a few original connectors left...

Terry, I think you're absolutely right in saying that a new harness is the easiest way to go. At least, it is in my case.

But it's out, and so is the pedal box, etc. I discovered the last thing I needed to release the body from the frame was the windshield wiper motor hold down. After a couple test tugs, I have proven a freed body, and am going to start the storage and moving rig buildup. I'm also going to brace the body in the cockpit, even though I'm confident the new sills, et al 's welding is good and solid. Solid-ish, at any rate.

bobs77vet Avatar
bobs77vet bob K.
so unknown to you......you need to buy additional connectors and do your self a favor and buy the connector crimping tool.

Grubeguy Avatar
Grubeguy Grube Guy
Good advice Bob, thanks.

Should I remove the carbs before removing the body tub? I remember reading somewhere that the body won't go ON with the carbs in place ...

joerberg Avatar
joerberg Joe A
Hoosick Falls, New York, USA   USA
Hang on to all those Lucas female connectors from your wiring harness. You're going to need all of them and more. You can clean them with a .22 cal. cleaning brush. I stole yet another idea from Bob K and made a copy of his connector crimping tool. Easy to make and worked like a charm.

The body will clear the carbs but remove the air cleaners.

mg1622 Terry Armitage
Sundre, Alberta, Canada   CAN
I remove the starter switch.Terry

Grubeguy Avatar
Grubeguy Grube Guy
Starter switch and air cleaners, got it.

I have my scaffold built. It's a little taller than where the car would mount, by about a foot. I want room to crawl under the thing for access to rusty areas and such.

I was thinking of be removing the body today after work, but it's looking more like Thursday. At this rate, I'll have the car done in 2020 ...

Grubeguy Avatar
Grubeguy Grube Guy
Decided not to put bracing under the heater shelf, due to how flimsy it is. Instead, I'll brace just aft of the front wheel wells. I've adjusted my scaffold accordingly.

Once the tub is off, I'll fasten the two pieces together.

Tub removal is set for tomorrow evening...

Attachments:
20170719_202645.jpg    44.4 KB
20170719_202645.jpg

20170719_202651.jpg    50.8 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
Gary E Avatar
Gary E Silver Member Gary Edwards
Kernersville, ,N.C., USA   USA
A 17 cal gun cleaning tool fits the connectors better than a 22 cal..

Gary

Grubeguy Avatar
Grubeguy Grube Guy
Body is off, major milestone accomplished. Now I can go plant trees and probably mow the lawn.

I know the whole thing is only 200 lbs, and I've buddy-carried more than that, but I was caught off guard with how light it really is.

I had a couple false starts with the pedals still hanging on. I don't know why I thought they'd go easily with the tub ... I ended up saying to hell with it and cutting the mounting plate up with my angle grinder. Sucker was rusty and slated for replacement anyhow.

Now that I can really get a good look at the frame, I'm seeing just about zero major rot. Very excited.

Attachments:
20170720_180414.jpg    51.4 KB
20170720_180414.jpg

20170720_180402.jpg    51.9 KB
20170720_180435.jpg    49.5 KB
Redhawk1689 Avatar
Redhawk1689 Gold Member Steven Stockham
Salina, Kansas, USA   USA
1958 MG MGA 1500 "Belle"
Well done! I enjoyed the video as well!

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster