Please Sign In or Register to Search

Is this an MGA ignition lock?

Posted by MGARuss 
MGARuss Avatar
Russ Sharples
New Jersey, USA   usa
1960 MG MGA 1600 "Bonnie"
1993 Mazda MX-5 "Bombita"

From what I can tell, this is a legit Lucas ignition lock. FP style key, screw terminals, works nicely. Does anyone know if it is from an MGA/other MG or what year it might be? It's not exactly like the one Barney shows on his website (the screw posts don't stick out of the back like they do on that one).

Russ

P.S. Anybody have any thoughts about cleaning the terminals? I'm thinking inside. Looks like I would have to grind the rivets off to open the lock up. Anybody tried that? Hate to ruin it. The reason it might be necessary is that my ohm meter reads 0.5 ohms across the terminal vs. 0.1 when the ohm meter leads are shorted together, so there is some internal resistance there. Given that this could easily have 15A flowing through it, half an ohm is a lot of resistance. Obviously I have to check the ohm meter leads were making good contact with the screw terminals but I am concerned.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/25/2012 10:56PM by MGARuss.
. You can hide this ad & support this site by upgrading to a Gold Membership ~ click here for more info

Attachments:
ignition-lock-1.jpg (17.8 KB) –
ignition-lock-1.jpg

ignition-lock-2.jpg (18.4 KB) –
Please Sign In or Register to view this photo
ignition-lock-3.jpg (23.2 KB) –
Bandersnatch Avatar
Larry Wheeler
Hillsboro, OR, USA   usa
1957 MG MGA "Rosie 2"

It looks very similar to the repro one Moss sells with the exception of the Lucar terminals on the back of the Moss unit.

Unfortunately, mine had an after-market replacement switch installed. I saw the exact same switch as mine at Auto Zone when I was picking up some dielectric grease.

I guess that wasn't much help, sorry.
barneymg Avatar
Barney Gaylord
Naperville, Illinois, USA   usa
1958 MG MGA "MGA With An Attitude"

A later (cost reduced) model I suppose, but it may work very well. These switches have gross motion contacts inside, as you may see on one of my web pages. This makes the contacts self-cleaning by friction and scrubbing during normal operation. Put your ohm meter probes in the slots and tighten the screws for good positive electrical connections. Then cycle the switch on and off about a hundred times and see what you get for internal resistance.

Barney Gaylord - 1958 MGA with an attitude - http://MGAguru.com
. You can hide this ad & support this site by upgrading to a Gold Membership ~ click here for more info
mgageoff Avatar
Geoff Howard
Ashburn, VA, USA   usa

Well, according to info from Pete Groh at British Car Keys (http://www.britishcarkeys.com/), my '58 is supposed to have a key in the range FP 626-750. Yours is in that range but I don't know his source for that info to determine if the same range applies to your year or not. I'd just email him.

He also has a link to a PDF of the Lucas part numbers on cars of our period including MGA that I think should cover the switch body (different from the tumbler insert). http://www.rroc.org.au/wiki/images/7/7b/LUCASEquipment19481962Cars.pdf

I can't see a Lucas part number of the switch in your pics, but that might be a way to get what you're looking for.

Geoff Howard
http://mgaexperiment.blogspot.com
Now Playing on the Blog (8/8/2013): Don't Blow Your Top
mgageoff Avatar
Geoff Howard
Ashburn, VA, USA   usa

Oh, and I was going to suggest using DeoxIT spray instead of disassembly but I see Barney has suggested an even cheaper method to clean up the guts.

Geoff Howard
JackMG Avatar
Jack Lindler
Greenville,SC, USA   usa

PO had "upgraded" mine to electric relay start and installed a 3-position switch...confused smiley
Gary E Avatar
Gary Edwards
Kernersville, ,N.C., USA   usa

I'm not sure mine is original.

Gary

If you don't think too good, don't think too much.

Attachments:
images.jpg (7.4 KB) –
images.jpg

Neil MG Avatar
Neil McGurk
Cumbria, United Kingdom   gbr
1956 Morris Minor
1958 MG MGA
1960 MG MGA
1961 MG MGA
1966 Jaguar Mark 2   → more

Interesting!

All five of my MGAs had exactly the same ignition lock as Russ shows and I know for sure that one (a Mark II) was original. Never seen one like the one in your picture Barney (on the top left of http://mgaguru.com/mgtech/electric/et124.htm right?), maybe that was from an early car? I collect any NOS or good used lucas parts, if they are cheap enough, and I have a box full of ignition switches.

The answer to the range of keys is easy, all FP keys are numbered between 626 and 750! I don't know the model years but I suspect FS (876 to 955) and possibly FA (501 to 625) keys were also used in the MGA.
RJBrown Avatar
Randy Brown
Queen Creek, Arizona, USA   usa

My 1960 MGA has a ignition switch that looks like the one pictured. The date code on the back identifies it being made in 10 of 59. It is an FP 719 keyed lock. There should be a date stamped on the bakelight opposite where it reads LUCAS ENGLAND. Looks to me like an original MGA switch.

Attachments:
DSCN2473.JPG (27.6 KB) –
DSCN2473.JPG

DSCN2470.JPG (20.7 KB) –
barneymg Avatar
Barney Gaylord
Naperville, Illinois, USA   usa
1958 MG MGA "MGA With An Attitude"

Sorry about that, Neil. The picture top left on my web page illustrating screw post connections was the back end of a 3-post lighting switch. Fixed now. Yes, the flat-back 2-post configuration is correct for the MGA ignition switch.

Barney Gaylord - 1958 MGA with an attitude - http://MGAguru.com
MGARuss Avatar
Russ Sharples
New Jersey, USA   usa

Randy,

I found a number on mine: "3 59" with "31449 E" above it but not on the Bakelite, its in the metal on the side.

Attachments:
lock-1.jpg (16.4 KB) –
lock-1.jpg

mgageoff Avatar
Geoff Howard
Ashburn, VA, USA   usa

That PDF of Lucas parts I linked to shows on p 48 that 31449 is the part number for MGA (except Mark II) for "Lighting Starting and/or Interior". I am not sure why they call it that, but it is the only part in the booklet that maps logically to the ignition switch.

So, looks like a confirming data point that what you have is original.

Geoff Howard
RJBrown Avatar
Randy Brown
Queen Creek, Arizona, USA   usa

Same part# 7 months apart marked in different places. Now I have to look at my others.
Ben Rollo
Australia   aus

The original thin bezel is a bit of a give away too. All the reproduction ignition switches and many period ones have a thick bezel (some a hexagonal one). I've been trying to track down a thin bezel for a while...

I'll give you $1000 for that bezel!
mgaex189 Avatar
Giovanni Delicio
Obrigheim, Rheinpfalz, Germany   deu

Ben,

are you talking about AUS$ or US$ ??confused smiley

You guys must be crazy !!!

Regards

Giovanni
MGARuss Avatar
Russ Sharples
New Jersey, USA   usa

In reply to # 2205484 by benro I'll give you $1000 for that bezel!

Umm, Neil says he has a box of original locks - maybe he would sell you a whole lock for 1000 $AUS.
Neil MG Avatar
Neil McGurk
Cumbria, United Kingdom   gbr
1956 Morris Minor
1958 MG MGA
1960 MG MGA
1961 MG MGA
1966 Jaguar Mark 2   → more

I thought he was joking!

Interestingly though, most of the locks I have have the hex bezel. Here is a Wyatt style teaser...

Attachments:
ignition switches.jpg (50.2 KB) –
ignition switches.jpg

Ben Rollo
Australia   aus

Nice photo Neil!

Yes, I was joking. But they are certainly hard to find - I did see one on eBay a year ago, but missed out. They're out there somewhere...
Bandersnatch Avatar
Larry Wheeler
Hillsboro, OR, USA   usa
1957 MG MGA "Rosie 2"

The Moss repro I got (mine had been replaced at some point by an American after-market switch) has the hexagonal bezel, but worse, it has Lucar connections on the back. At least on the panel dimmer they put the Lucar connectors on with a screw so I could put the wires on under the screws. Unfortunately, the Moss ignition switch has the connectors riveted on.

Edit - Forgot to mention, the Moss key looks nothing like the original one, double-sided vs. the single-sided original. How hard can it be to use a single-sided tumbler?

Are any of those for sale, Neil?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/31/2012 11:20PM by Bandersnatch.
KHP Avatar
KHP
Karl Henning
Burr Ridge, IL, USA   usa

Mine is FP 628 for a January 59 car. 5-58 on the back. Are keys available ? Mine must be an original key. It's small and very worn.

Karl

Reply to this topic or post your own questions!

Members Sign In if you've already registered, or

Register a New Account

Registration is free and takes less than a minute

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Check the Forum Help File (FAQ) or contact the webmaster.

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

MGExp Menu

What's New

Membership

Forums ->

MGB & GT

MG Midget

Buy, Sell & Trade

Vendor Market

MG Engine Swaps

Original MG