AutoShrine Sponsor

59mgaguy Avatar
59mgaguy John Terschak
Wakeman, Ohio, USA   USA
1930 Ford Model A "Jenny"
1959 MG 14/28 "Jessie"
1974 MG MGB "Oooops"
Jim,

On the problem of your angle gear and speed-o-gear, I just got off the phone with Peter from Hi-Gear. He now has changed over to metal speed-o-gears. So on top of the T-9 tranny is you gear ratio written in black felt pen ink. You'll need to look for it and copy the number down. The number will be 7-somehting. After you get the number give Peter a call. I told him of your problem but for some da-n reason I couldn't remember your last name/ (My mind went blank, very embarrassing, sorry about that)

I'm going to try and figure out how to read the number on top of the T-9 while the transmission is still in the car. We'll see who hears who swearing over a 600 mile distant. It's going to be fun getting the numbers.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
Patience.jpg    85.8 KB
Patience.jpg

59mgaguy Avatar
59mgaguy John Terschak
Wakeman, Ohio, USA   USA
1959 MG 14/28 "Jessie"
1974 MG MGB "Oooops"
Jim

PM sent with Hi-Gears reply to one of my e-mails.

John

Gary E Avatar
Gary E Silver Member Gary Edwards
Kernersville, ,N.C., USA   USA
If you know what the ratio of your angle drive was then you can predict the error factor for running without it.

Gary

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Richas Avatar
Richas Silver Member Rich S
Portland, Oregon, USA   USA
In reply to # 3587733 by Twofin Sold a Kidney to purchase and fit 16" stainless wires with 185/60/16 Toyo proxes, slowly coming together,

Oh I wish I had those! Looking great.

rich

copernicus Avatar
copernicus Nick Kopernik
Redding, CT, USA   USA
Third time is the charm. My rear axle drain plug has never leaked in over 37 years of ownership of my current A, until that is, this past spring when I changed out the differential oil, and developed a drip from the bottom plug (I used teflon tape on it). I waited a few months and again drained the oil and this time I used an RTV sealant; the drip continued. Today I drained the oil again and used a combination of a heavy layer of teflon tape and the RTV gear sealant. Took the car out for a few hours of back road driving and not a drop on the differential; everything is back to normal.

One thing I did notice is that the filler plug and the drain plug were of two different lengths, one was about 1/8" longer than the other, but they had the same thread (they are original to the car). Each time I developed a leak I just placed the same plugs from where I thought I originally pulled them. The third time I switched the plugs and the leak stopped. Not sure if it was the shorter plug or the double dose of tape and sealant that did the trick. Not hard work to drain & replace the diff oil, but it is time consuming and a bit messy, not to mention the body aches and pains that go with maneuvering under the car. Now I just need to find that bottle of Percocet!

Zur Avatar
Zur Silver Member Dave H.
Amarillo, Texas, USA   USA
Nick, I have a nice bottle of Jim Beam "Devil's Cut" Kentucky straight bourbon whiskey I could send you.
It might not cure those aches & pains, but you sure won't mind them as much...

Dave

copernicus Avatar
copernicus Nick Kopernik
Redding, CT, USA   USA
In reply to # 3591225 by Zur Nick, I have a nice bottle of Jim Beam "Devil's Cut" Kentucky straight bourbon whiskey I could send you.
It might not cure those aches & pains, but you sure won't mind them as much...

Ah yes, thanks: don't think I could wait that long for the bottle to arrive. But there is a spirits store no more than a 4 minute drive from the house............now where are my car keys?

Zur Avatar
Zur Silver Member Dave H.
Amarillo, Texas, USA   USA
If you are a straight Kentucky bourbon guy, give it a try!

Dave

Judge Jeffs Avatar
Judge Jeffs Gold Member Bill Jeffries
Chichester, West Sussex, UK   GBR
1959 MG MGA
Took my car on her first long run today (180 miles) to meet up with a band of old motor industry colleagues, which included in their number, two ex MG Abingdon employees. One began his apprenticeship when the MGA was still in production and always has great tales to tell.
The car came under great scrutiny, but I'm pleased to say, passed muster and received some kind comments which were great to hear after all the years of restoration blood, sweat and tears (and joy of course).
I still haven't quite got used to parking the car in a busy high street without fear, but I'll get over it....it looked so small against today's bloated vehicles!
Bill
www.mgarestoration.com

Attachments:
IMG_2409.JPG    45 KB
IMG_2409.JPG

IMG_2411.JPG    67.8 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
IMG_2408.JPG    54.3 KB
Maggie B Andrew H
San Francisco, California, USA   USA
Fitted a Paddy Hopkirk pedal extension from Moss. It lasted less than 5 miles.

Attachments:
IMG_4334.jpg    72.6 KB
IMG_4334.jpg

Erik Ohlsson Avatar
Malmo, Skane, Sweden   SWE
Luggage rack fitted!

And I stuck on some racing 'spots' just for fun (before the big paint job which I hope to do in the next year or so). They're just stickers in the end and can be pealed off any time ...

1959 MGA 1500 Coupe

Attachments:
IMG_20170917_164123~2.jpg    71.5 KB
IMG_20170917_164123~2.jpg

IMG_20170917_164000~2.jpg    80.7 KB
59mgaguy Avatar
59mgaguy John Terschak
Wakeman, Ohio, USA   USA
1959 MG 14/28 "Jessie"
1974 MG MGB "Oooops"
In reply to # 3593768 by Erik Ohlsson Luggage rack fitted!

And I stuck on some racing 'spots' just for fun (before the big paint job which I hope to do in the next year or so). They're just stickers in the end and can be pealed off any time ...

Just a warning to others about putting stickers on their cars . If left on a couple of months will leave an permanent dark spot after removing the sticker from the body.

John

MGAman1 Avatar
MGAman1 Jim T
Lake Zurich, IL, USA   USA
Facet fuel pump died after only 500 miles.
Slow death syndrome but was able to make it home.
Would just loose tons of power in 4th gear......
New one installed and all is well.

Attachments:
20170912_142113.jpg    18.4 KB
20170912_142113.jpg

Judge Jeffs Avatar
Judge Jeffs Gold Member Bill Jeffries
Chichester, West Sussex, UK   GBR
1959 MG MGA
In reply to # 3593768 by Erik Ohlsson Luggage rack fitted!

Looks fabulous....great paint finish and I think the disc wheels are the best.
Bill.
www.mgarestoration.com

lndamarch Avatar
lndamarch Linda March
Mesa, AZ, USA   USA
1958 MG MGA 1500 "Bessie"
Brought home my engine from the shop.

Attachments:
20170919_103545.jpg    52.9 KB
20170919_103545.jpg

20170919_103556.jpg    54.5 KB

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster