AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

mgpatje Avatar
mgpatje Pat W
Heerlen, Limburg, Netherlands   NLD
1960 MG MGA 1600 "Marie"
1969 MG MGC "Margret"
1977 Jaguar XJ6 Series 2
S, got some parts and put them on mij chassis. Parts are nt bad and maybe it will be project number two. In the background my mgc

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Supporting Member <

Attachments:
DSCF0822.JPG    77.3 KB
DSCF0822.JPG

DSCF0821.JPG    74.1 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
DSCF0822.JPG    77.3 KB
Judge Jeffs Avatar
Judge Jeffs Gold Member Bill Jeffries
Chichester, West Sussex, UK   GBR
1959 MG MGA
Today I fitted the new soft top. The job went well apart from failing to get out all the puckers and managed to snap a drill off while drilling the two holes either side of the back frame bow....s**t! As this was the last job the top was fully fitted, so any attempts at removing the stub of drill bit risked damaging the material.
I was forced to drill a second hole close to it, fit the screw/cup and live with a small extra hole - a 'first world problem' my wife called it.

Attachments:
IMG_2188.JPG    63.3 KB
IMG_2188.JPG

IMG_2191.JPG    60.6 KB
IMG_2218.JPG    44.8 KB
IMG_2225.JPG    55.8 KB
IMG_2226.JPG    46 KB
IMG_2260.JPG    81.9 KB
IMG_2261.JPG    65.1 KB
IMG_2262.JPG    61 KB
hinschy1 Avatar
hinschy1 Erich Hinschberger
Des Moines, Des Moines Iowa, USA   USA
1957 MG MGA "Liz"
1973 MG MGB "Smoky"
2011 Chevrolet Camaro
John,
I haven't been pheasant hunting in probably 10 years. We had two icy winters in a row and it really dropped the population where I hunted. The past couple of years I've heard that they're finally coming back. The turkey hunting is great though. This spring I spent about an hour in the bling before I got a Tom with 1 1/2 inch spurs. I was a little disappointed my season was so short. How is it out your way?

vdubmga Avatar
vdubmga v wasem
46N1165W, WA, USA   USA
1924 Other Not Listed "1924 Cat 2-ton"
1956 Other Not Listed "1956 John Deere 420"
1961 MG MGA 1600
1967 MG MGB GT
Looks good, Bill. I know the two screws you are referring to. I left them out and left the bow free floating. That way, I can easily put the top up, then move the back bow up to the seem and it really tightens up the entire top. I didn't have the heart to put a hole in my perfectly good new top. Now that I have the top in-place, I hope to never use it.

Rusty356 Avatar
Rusty356 Richard Conn
Parker, PA, USA   USA
Thanks for the information. I have a 62 MGA, and now will know where to look if I ever get low oil pressure. Rick in Foxburg PA

Rusty356 Avatar
Rusty356 Richard Conn
Parker, PA, USA   USA
I took my wife for a ride, after installing the new ignition system, and we bought 30 ears of fresh corn.

Attachments:
FullSizeRender.jpg    50 KB
FullSizeRender.jpg

Gary E Avatar
Gary E Silver Member Gary Edwards
Kernersville, ,N.C., USA   USA
Actually I find the top a pleasure to use in the middle of summer. Take the back window out and you get the same amount of air through the back and no sun on you 73 year old head...

Gary

Rusty356 Avatar
Rusty356 Richard Conn
Parker, PA, USA   USA
Gary; We also like the top, but the second time we drove it with the top on, we stopped at a little art gallery in Foxburg, and while in the gallery it started to rain, and it rained very hard. We spent 1 week removing the carpet, and drying out it all. Even if we had had the windows installed, it would have gotten very wet inside the car, as our windows do not seal well at all. So now with just the tonneau on, it stays dry if it starts raining, but would get wet no matter if the top and windows were in. So no more removing all the carpet. I am turning 72 next month. Rick

Judge Jeffs Avatar
1959 MG MGA
In reply to # 3571716 by vdubmga Looks good, Bill. I know the two screws you are referring to. I left them out and left the bow free floating. That way, I can easily put the top up, then move the back bow up to the seem and it really tightens up the entire top. I didn't have the heart to put a hole in my perfectly good new top. Now that I have the top in-place, I hope to never use it.
Good point and I guess it makes it easier to fold neatly. Having given it a test run roof up, I'd forgotten how noisy it is, so the aim will be to leave it folded away.
Unlike some owners though, I've always liked the look of an A with the roof up, it doesn't look like an afterthought to me.
Bill.

Coxie Avatar
Coxie Mark Cox
San Carlos, San Francisco Bay Area, USA   USA
1962 MG MGA MkII "Bullet"
1962 MG MGA MkII De-Luxe
First, there were two rust holes ... then two bigger holes ...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-08-14 12:49 AM by Coxie.

Attachments:
IMG_5557.JPG    47.8 KB
IMG_5557.JPG

IMG_5568.JPG    47.2 KB
IMG_5558.JPG    42.6 KB
IMG_5569.JPG    49.4 KB
Coxie Avatar
Coxie Mark Cox
San Carlos, San Francisco Bay Area, USA   USA
1962 MG MGA MkII "Bullet"
1962 MG MGA MkII De-Luxe
... then no holes ... then pride and a beer thumbs up

PS If anyone has any advice on how to make that complex compound shape on the shroud just behind the cockpit I would love some wisdom? I have been noodling on how to make that for an hour at least smiling smiley

Attachments:
IMG_5560.JPG    41.4 KB
IMG_5560.JPG

IMG_5572.JPG    54.6 KB
IMG_5573.JPG    50.7 KB
DanielR Avatar
DanielR Gold Member Daniel Ross
Omaha, NE, USA   USA
Nice job Mark!

MidCenturyMG Avatar
MidCenturyMG Ben S
Centennial, Colorado, USA   USA
Sorted parts and pieces from Moss & then uploaded pics of last weekend's drive up Mt Evans (Colorado; altitude 14,000 feet plus change). Made it up & made it back down and no worse the wear for it (... knock on wood).

Ben

Attachments:
MtEvans 001.jpg    44.9 KB
MtEvans 001.jpg

MtEvans 002.jpg    48.7 KB
Judge Jeffs Avatar
1959 MG MGA
In reply to # 3572435 by Coxie First, there were two rust holes ... then two bigger holes ...

https://mgarestoration.com/portfolio/body-rebuild/
This was my amateur attempt.
At this point when faced with the inevitable rust holes in the shroud bolt flange, I decided to teach myself the dark art of lead loading, which although now 'old school' is very effective and unlike plastic fillers doesn't crack or encourage rust. It's also a lot easier than it looks and of course how any unwanted gap was dealt with at the factory.
I was lucky to find the tools in a local secondhand tool store and have a source of free body solder.
Is anyone else still using it?
Bill.

Twofin David T
Bedworth, Warwickshire, UK   GBR
In reply to # 3572437 by Coxie ... then no holes ... then pride and a beer thumbs up

PS If anyone has any advice on how to make that complex compound shape on the shroud just behind the cockpit I would love some wisdom? I have been noodling on how to make that for an hour at least smiling smiley

Leather sandbag for a double compound curve, put the folded edge on with a crimper, or make the double compound curve then weld the folded bit on, Tig is so much better than mig , u can work the metal afterwards whereas mig is too hard and brittle , and will fracture if you try bashing it, it'll ruin your body files too. You will notice once you get heat in the areas on the shroud it will shrink and put a tight flat spot that you have to bump back up, to prevent burn through put a piece of copper plate as backing heat sink.
If you lead load make sure you remove all trace of flux /acid etc with plenty of water/ neutraliser or you will get corrosion and paint / lead lifting up after a short while.

That'll be $25 lol

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster