AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Redhawk1689 Avatar
Redhawk1689 Gold Member Steven Stockham
Salina, Kansas, USA   USA
1958 MG MGA 1500 "Belle"
Does zinc plating work on springs? I know it's great on nuts and bolts but I didn't realize that it would adhere to bending metal!

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Supporting Member <
Richas Avatar
Richas Silver Member Rich S
Portland, Oregon, USA   USA
It coats just the outside. I don't really care for brake springs....

In reply to # 3491369 by Redhawk1689 Does zinc plating work on springs? I know it's great on nuts and bolts but I didn't realize that it would adhere to bending metal!

bisslre Ron Bissland
Kenosha, WI, USA   USA
1956 MG MGA 1500 "The Little Car"
2014 Chevrolet Silverado
I did not have my plating system in place when I did my brakes during my restore but it was in place when I did the carb rebuilds. I did all the springs on the carb with out any issues. As an added note I zinc plated the spring on the Hood Spring but powder coated everything else.

Attachments:
20150317_231047.jpg    33.7 KB
20150317_231047.jpg

20150318_200424.jpg    31.6 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
20160924_112812.jpg    42.6 KB
mg1622 Terry Armitage
Sundre, Alberta, Canada   CAN
drug home another one .It is a 60/61 stalled (twice) project,,,.Chassis all done and lots of the body.(inner sills,rockers) done ,Still needs lots ,Just gonna store it til whenever,came with lots of parts and of course lots missing too!

Attachments:
DSCN3103.JPG    71.7 KB
DSCN3103.JPG

DSCN3104.JPG    69.6 KB
vdubmga Avatar
vdubmga v wasem
46N1165W, WA, USA   USA
1924 Other Not Listed "1924 Cat 2-ton"
1956 Other Not Listed "1956 John Deere 420"
1961 MG MGA 1600
1967 MG MGB GT
I mostly finished my top this morning. All I have left are the LTD's. The top passed a 65mph speed test on the way to my friendly tarp fabricator to borrow an LTD tool. I should finish it tomorrow. I told you I was taller than Barney. :-) I can see the staples, but, oh well....

Attachments:
IMG_20170418_100014.jpg    33.7 KB
IMG_20170418_100014.jpg

copernicus Avatar
copernicus Nick Kopernik
Redding, CT, USA   USA
MGA Spring maintenance day: Changed out the brake fluid; differential oil; trans oil; engine oil & filter; gas filter; coolant; and cleaned air filters; lubed front end & driveshaft. Checked the belt and hoses; topped off the carb dampers; checked battery and all connections; tightened a few loose dash controls. Polished the wire wheels; checked tire pressure; cleaned out the trunk and sorted thru the "travel" tools; waxed the body and polished all chrome, including wire wheels; cleaned & treated the leather seats and trim; vacuumed the interior; touched up a number of dings and scratches. Waiting for the weather to break from cold & rain to sun, but will need several days and a few pain meds to recover from today's activity. I think I may have missed something along the way, but I'm sure it will come to me. Worst thing as always, is changing the oil filter; it's still a major pain, even with the spin on.

3066james Avatar
3066james Jim Cheatham
Amelia, VA, USA   USA
Today, I started the engine (1800 3-main). I had started it once before after I rebuilt it before the body went back on the frame. It has not been turned over in over 1-1/2 yr. At idle, it has 60 lb oil pressure. smiling smiley

Discovered a fuel leak at one of the fittings on the fuel pump so I'll need to fix that but it sure was nice to hear the engine running.

Jim

Zur Avatar
Zur Silver Member Dave H.
Amarillo, Texas, USA   USA
Damn, Nick...you did all that in 1 day!?
That's a 2-month job around here.
I feel like such a piker...

Dave

3066james Avatar
3066james Jim Cheatham
Amelia, VA, USA   USA
I'm using my original choke cable assembly but the inner cable was in pretty bad shape. One or two of the strands were broken where it attaches to the choke on the carbs and it would not slide very easily. After watching a John Twist video on repairing the choke cable, I went to a bicycle shop and bought a new inner cable for $4.00. Came home, un-soldered the old inner cable from the knob and re-soldered the new cable into the knob. Put it back in the car and it works like it should now.

Here's the John Twist video if you are interested (

Jim

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-04-20 08:50 PM by 3066james.

Attachments:
002.JPG    42.5 KB
002.JPG

001.JPG    30.4 KB
003.JPG    30.3 KB
Gary E Avatar
Gary E Silver Member Gary Edwards
Kernersville, ,N.C., USA   USA
That is really neat.... Even better if you got a Teflon coated cable..

Gary

bisslre Ron Bissland
Kenosha, WI, USA   USA
1956 MG MGA 1500 "The Little Car"
2014 Chevrolet Silverado
Just FYI, After I redid all my cables ( used the originals), I bought some clear heat shrink tubing and covered them in that to make them look nice and keep junk out of them.

Attachments:
20151223_154714.jpg    39.2 KB
20151223_154714.jpg

3066james Avatar
3066james Jim Cheatham
Amelia, VA, USA   USA
Gary,
I don't think solder would hold a Teflon-coated cable very well.

Jim

In reply to # 3494923 by Gary E That is really neat.... Even better if you got a Teflon coated cable..

copernicus Avatar
copernicus Nick Kopernik
Redding, CT, USA   USA
In reply to # 3494526 by Zur Damn, Nick...you did all that in 1 day!?
That's a 2-month job around here.
I feel like such a piker...

This year just happened to be the one where annual maintenance and other multi-year schedules lined up for the perfect storm of required effort. I did consider spreading the effort over several days, but I chose the pain all at once option. Next time I'll make sure the stars do not align like this again.

Gary E Avatar
You would have to use a Dremel wire brush to remove the Teflon.

Gary

Gary E Avatar
Took the car to a car show at Shelton Vineyards yesterday and got a chance to try out the 5 speed on a highway in the foot hills. With a 3.9 rear and a 1622 bored to .040 over otherwise stock it did well.. A little strain on the long hills but not bad.. I have over 450 miles on the rear seal now and still not a drop of a leak, must be out of oil !!

Gary

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster