MGA Forum

Please Sign In or Register to Search

1958 MGA Coupe driver quality restoration thread

Posted by bobs77vet 
bobs77vet Avatar
bob Krzywicki
Arlington, Va, USA   usa

here is my 1958 MGA Coupe driver quality restoration thread. I purchased this from a 79 yr old man in Lancaster Va (Northern Neck area) who purchased it from a neighbors yard in 1985. It has been in and out of covered storage over his ownership and has never run in his ownership. He had previously restored an MGA in 1965 and purchased this to restore but never got around to it. He did however buy a complete leather interior kit, carpet kit, new bumpers and overriders, complete rubber gasket kit, headliner kit, new grill and he has good rear glass (all 3 pcs) and a good front windshield. The parts he bought are in good shape with some wear from storage and some fading on the carpet from the sun shining in on an open box. The door panels are a little bowed and I think they can be straightened out. of course this car came with an extra Triumph spitfire motor and trans and spit fire seats, extra MGA trans and an additional Bonnet. This will be a driver quality restoration done in my home garage and aimed at having fun and using the parts that came with the car. The work will be done with my sons and any skills they want to brush up on concerning welding and body work will be practiced on the project. We look at this as a fun family project and don't get to wound up in a production environment or set any sort of time frames for completion....so follow along as we eat the elephant one bite at a time. This is my second MGA and my 5th British sports car between years 1954-1969.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-06-04 01:32 PM by bobs77vet.

bobs77vet Avatar
bob Krzywicki
Arlington, Va, USA   usa

the boys and i put in 2-3 hours and pulled all the wings (fenders) off. its amazing what young agile, strong and flexible kids can do with some adult supervision....all in all its in better shape than i what thought and in better shape then my last one. i will take and post some pictures after dinner
when things quiet down here... the two front fenders only need spot repairing i dont need to replace the entire lower bottom of them . not sure on the rear fenders dog leg i will look at that later....you should have seen the size of the spiders that came out of this thing....one had a leg span bigger that a silver dollar and it spooked me miserably.....it was like tracking the Bismarck through the north sea as it scurried about....but about 1/4 can of wasp killer made it slow enought that my 200lb size 9s took care of the rest....if the kids saw that one they would never have been helping me. it still gives me the willies

bobs77vet Avatar
bob Krzywicki
Arlington, Va, USA   usa

picked some low hanging fruit and pulled radiator and gas tank

started cutting out the rust to see what was left

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-06-04 01:26 PM by bobs77vet.

. You can hide this ad & support the site by upgrading to a Gold Membership ~ click here for more info
bobs77vet Avatar
bob Krzywicki
Arlington, Va, USA   usa

we also soaked motor and got it to turn over by hand, the engine oil was clean, the trans oil is really clean, it had new spark plug wires on it, there was green antifreeze left in the radiator when we took it out. the gas tank had also been replaced before but is not useable any more due to interior rust. we also removed the center floor boards and removed the old headliner..if you look at the picture of the engine you can see where the missing id plate is all bent, I think that was from them taking the engine out at some time..that brings us up to date on the last three weeks work, I will keep you posted as I go along. bob

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-06-04 01:36 PM by bobs77vet.

JimNH Avatar
Jim Mail
Nashua, New Hampshire, USA   usa
1957 MG MGA "Camilla (the Other Woman)"

Great stuff...you can leave your ratchet set to "left" for a while, seems like.

The front clip is going to be your biggest challenge, I think - did you get any repair panels as well?

I have two teen-aged daughters, who only ever grudgingly help out their dad - and only when I beg because their hands are small enough to reach in places mine won't (like under the alternator to bolt in the radiator, or under the carbs to tighten the bottom rear manifold nut, or up alongside the transmission - etc.

JIM

. You can hide this ad & support the site by upgrading to a Gold Membership ~ click here for more info

Attachments:
miranda_helping.jpg    11.1 KB
miranda_helping.jpg

Steve B Avatar
Steve Brannan
Weeki Wachee, Florida, USA   usa
1958 MG MGA 1500 Coupe
1959 Mini MkI "Moocher"
1968 Jaguar E-Type 2+2 "Jasmine"
1968 MG MGC GT
1974 Triumph Spitfire 1500

You are a better man than I am Gunga Din....I have a 58 coupe waiting for me to get to but it looks like no work at all compared to yours. As for the spiders...you should see the size of them in sunnier climes. Great story and pics, I watch and learn....
Steve

bobs77vet Avatar
bob Krzywicki
Arlington, Va, USA   usa

Jim, i have not ordered the parts yet, i am going to bulk order my parts so i can get the best pricing on them. the front clip will be the most effort for sure. i am still looking at it contemplating a course of action. the kids are pretty good about helping they actually like doing the work, the 77 vette was a father son projuct with my then 15yr old, the black one in the background in the photos, and the 37 ford in my avatar was the father son project with my then 13 yr old. they are 24 and 18 now. last night i boxed up all the carpeting and seat kit that was siting on the vette and put it in my basement. i still have to make some boxes for the panel kit for storage and then the grinding and welding can begin.

Steve, i haven't seen any king kong spiders for a couple of days so thats good news.....did i ever mention i hate spiders

jclars Avatar
John Larsen
Lynden, WA, USA   usa

Bob, look at the grille pic. Spiderman is protecting you!

Neil MG Avatar
Neil McGurk
Cumbria, UK   gbr
1956 Morris Minor
1958 MG MGA
1960 MG MGA
1961 MG MGA
1966 Jaguar Mark 2   → more

That looks like a superb project. The bigger the challenge the greater the reward.

wyatt Avatar
Wyatt W
penguin point, drift ice, Antarctica   ata

In reply to # 2086360 by Neil MG That looks like a superb project. The bigger the challenge the greater the reward.

......she wants to be your friend and ride in YOUR car.......

Attachments:
fat chick.jpeg    11 KB
fat chick.jpeg

bobs77vet Avatar
bob Krzywicki
Arlington, Va, USA   usa

well my son Joe and I worked on the boot floor replacement tonight for a couple of hours

we cut out the rest of the floor to give a nice unified look

made a template out of carboard

cut it out and made template for bead roller

rolled the beads in the floor

bent the sides

and heres the mock up fit

wyatt Avatar
Wyatt W
penguin point, drift ice, Antarctica   ata

...you guys are good....but what ya really need is a friend who ain't quite right in the head to send ya a whole original one in the US mail....smoking smiley

Attachments:
mga 1600 green (Small).jpg    35.1 KB
mga 1600 green (Small).jpg

bobs77vet Avatar
bob Krzywicki
Arlington, Va, USA   usa

Wyatt thats amazing....and yes you are right we all need friends like that

jclars Avatar
John Larsen
Lynden, WA, USA   usa

All we need now is for the fat lady to sing and Wyatt to ship that floor before those boys weld in the new one.

bobs77vet Avatar
bob Krzywicki
Arlington, Va, USA   usa

update: pulled the carbs off to clean them and put them to the side and found a broken intake manifold, cracked heat shield on what turns out to be an MGB set up soaked one carb last night and the other one is getting soaked tonight. overall they were pretty clean inside. i bet that cracked manifold created a big vacuum leak and made the car run pretty poorly. look closely at the frame and you can see how they wrapped the throttle return spring around it.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-06-07 08:58 PM by bobs77vet.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Check the Forum Help File (FAQ) or contact the webmaster.

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

MGExp Menu

What's New

Membership

Forums ->

MGB & GT

MG Midget

Buy, Sell & Trade

Vendor Market

MG Engine Swaps

Original MG